EHX 12VR 75 Watt. Anyone used them before?

20240803_084557.jpg

Looking to replace a couple speakers in a spare back up 2 by 12, have had celestion, eminence....couple others ...all good .

Apparently these are designed to be a pseudo vintage 30 clones.....that handle higher wattage.
Anyone here have any direct experience with these.....they are only 50 bucks at multiple sources online, and I would like to take a stab....if they are anywhere near a V30, that would be nice ... Just need a, leave this cab somewhere for a month, pick it up later type of cab.....

Let me know what you think ....also. Don't need any other recommendations.....just thoughts on these specific speakers.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Never tried them. If they sound close to a V30 than $50 isn't bad. Might be worth a shot?

Never tried them. If they sound close to a V30 than $50 isn't bad. Might be worth a shot?
Yeah I am pretty much sure I am going to pull the trigger, just looking for some opposing view points....all I see pretty good, and if I can get 2 speakers for the price of 1 normal...psssssh happy birthday to me.

Word is they are manufactured by eminence, and are a very neutral speaker that doesn't add character to the sound.....to me... perfect.

I was looking into these speakers a while back. I might get one of out curiosity, just to see how inspired by Celestions they are.

Well, my wife talked me into it ...And using my headphones on my modeler today just didn't get it done ...so this will give me a reason to actually turn on my rig and test a cab.....and also get me playing again, or a reason to anyway.

I will ordering these on Monday, will have them installed by the next day, after delivery...so I will give people my first impressions.

Now I have no way to record any clips, other than phone, and that isn't representative...so it will be purely anecdotal.

So yeah ...gonna get me some new speakers! For my belated birthday!👍

Me too! If they do I will get 2 more to fix my last broken cab.....then I will have 4 functioning 2 by 12s.....that is awesome. Really hope they are at least good ...then I will be content.

Bungholes still haven't updated my order status and have yet to ship out the speakers....oh well ...wait and wait.

In the meantime, I have decided to turn the cab from conventional 2 by 12, into a stereo/wet/dry/dual mono config....and a mono 2 by.

I have 3 taps in back....so I can run one to each....and then the middle to both....and still maintain 8 ohms in all. So that is a slick move.

Happy birthday indeed:

The speakers won't be here until Tomorrow, and I have so much other crap to do ..so this may not finish until middle next week ..but ..

Update.. Original speakers are Celestion G12S-50...I like the ones that still work in my #1 Cab. But they aren't well regarded in most circles.

Just some shots ..for documentation
Screenshot_20240808-092929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240808-092933_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240808-092952_Gallery.jpg

So they are here. They were packed great from MF, but not very well at EHX.

No interior cardboard packing bracing...and no plastic bag around the speaker, as per most speakers. I suppose this is what you get for 44.98 a speaker.....but no damage and they look fine.

Screenshot_20240809-143634_Gallery.jpg

Will probably do a test install of these in series just to see what they sound like in their own ....then split them in stereo with a swamp thang....just for fun ...we shall see.

Ok ..so here goes.

First impressions; Not bad at all, especially considering the price.

I wasn't expecting to be wowed, but I was actually impressed.

Not a V30 clone by any means, but I'm not mad at that really ... everyone uses those.

A tad brighter than I was expecting, but no grill...and they are new. Also, I would rather too bright than muffled....this is a great basic replacement speaker...for all styles...in a closed cab.

We will see how they hold up after breaking in. Also after extended use ...but for now, I will order another pair and finish my cab repair, so there is that.

For 45 bucks they are definitely worth trying out if you need something that you need a speaker for.
They make a 30 watt one as well ...but I'm good on that.

For now, pleasantly surprised and pleased. So that is a plus.

Last edited:
Following. I have a pair of those Split Stack cabs with the same Celestions. Will be curious to see how you think the EHXs compare.
To be honest, they are very similar to the speakers that came with it. Celestion G12S-50s From my understanding, those were developed with these cabs in mind and they were supposed to be bright to overcome the grills.

If that is true, these are very similar. I really like them.

Back