Dumb Q about power supply

mk5

Roadie
I am usually a straight into the amp guy, but have some pedals and want to put a small board together, but lost the power adapters for these in a move.

Do I need to get individual adapters for these or is there some sort of universal thing with multiple inputs I can get?

TIA

5BA12CE5-241F-43F7-82CD-E54B2D7FB809.jpeg

In the 1980s, I used a single power supply on my board for everything. I’m sure these things are still available and in use.

• Haha
Reactions: mk5
Depends on how fancy you want to get with it. You can get a cheap daisy chain for a few bucks, or get something like the Cioks DC7 which has isolated outputs and variable voltage.

If you're building a pedalboard, I would spring for a super unsexy purchase like a Pedal Power 2 or OneSpot Pro.

Reactions: mk5
I would also recommend getting a good power supply, either Truetone or Voodoo Lab.

A few months back I picked up a Friedman pedal to try out, and didn't realize it doesn't take batteries. I bought the cheaper MXR DC Brick and it worked fine, but it doesn't have isolated outputs so it wouldn't work with digital pedals. I exchanged it for a Voodoo Lab X8 which has clean isolated outputs and would be able to power my HX Stomp and other pedals.

One thing you may want to watch for, if you are using the EHX 22 Caliber - it looks like it requires 18V and 1.5 amps of power, which is a LOT compared with your average pedal. Most of the power supplies generally have around 2 amps (2000 mA) of total current, so that pedal could max it all out, or cause some other noise things.

A pedalpower III or the aforementioned Eventide one will power those and probably your refrigerator, too.

So got the CS6 yesterday and hastily wired up my board. I have a Maverick wah, OCD clone, TC Tuner and HX Stomp. I went red into green cable into Stomp. It worked for a bit then started doing some sort of unintended dub step pattern :wat

I shouldn't be over spec on my current draw? The CS provides 1600mA. @the swede are you asleep lol?

So got the CS6 yesterday and hastily wired up my board. I have a Maverick wah, OCD clone, TC Tuner and HX Stomp. I went red into green cable into Stomp. It worked for a bit then started doing some sort of unintended dub step pattern :wat

I shouldn't be over spec on my current draw? The CS provides 1600mA. @the swede are you asleep lol?
hmm, that’s weird. If you’re sure about draw (you should be below 1200ma with all those) then it might be something strange going on with a cable or pedal. Stomp runs fine on my cs6 and I’ve been up to about 1500ma total with stomp and pedals.

I always use one of the yellow cables, from one of the 500 outlets.
(shouldn’t matter which outlet you feed the stomp with, but use one of the two 500ma outlets anyway)
Then the red and the green to the stomp.

Oh, I once had a problem with a pigtronix disnortion… it didn’t like being in one of the outlets but was fine in another outlet.

hmm, that’s weird. If you’re sure about draw (you should be below 1200ma with all those) then it might be something strange going on with a cable or pedal. Stomp runs fine on my cs6 and I’ve been up to about 1500ma total with stomp and pedals.

I always use one of the yellow cables, from one of the 500 outlets.
(shouldn’t matter which outlet you feed the stomp with, but use one of the two 500ma outlets anyway)
Then the red and the green to the stomp.

Oh, I once had a problem with a pigtronix disnortion… it didn’t like being in one of the outlets but was fine in another outlet.
I'll check. I used 500mA tap. Not sure on the yellow cable. Going to try it and see. Fingers crossed :|

Have you checked to make sure one of those little dip switches that assigns voltage didn't get knocked? That's the only thing about the Truetones I don't like. I mean, I've never hit one, but a drunken oaf might some day and I can't abide by that kind of design flaw (this is a test. Its always a test).

Back