Drummers?

Or get a double kick pedal? Would that work?
If it were me, I wouldn't get a double kick pedal until I had some serious time on some kind of kit. I've been playing for ... god... it actually is about 15 years at this point! Nuts. We used to have an old 1970's Rogers kit in the attic of our first office, and I used to play it every day during my lunch break. It was bloody huge!

Anyway... yeah, I wouldn't get a double kick to start with. It'll just frustrate you most likely.

I don't think it is such a bad shout, the left handed thing. I'm left handed, and so I learnt that way. Ultimately learn the way that is most comfortable for you. Go with your natural instinct.

Whiplash.

I found it both hilarious, enlightening, and traumatic. :LOL:

I am a bit shocked you have not seen it, Met. :idk

Somehow I missed this one. It’s on my list now!

Or get a double kick pedal? Would that work?

The problem with that is that then your left foot is controlling both your bass drum and your high hat. You’ll want to control one of those with one foot and one with the other foot.

Sometimes that’s a PITA with a double kick pedal. You’ll often see players who use double bass drums have a second set of high hats that are kept semi-closed to use when they need to play sticks on the high hat and double kick at the same time

Any drummers in the fold here?

I suddenly got a hair up my hiney and want to learn drums. I'm thinking about an inexpensive electronic kit I could upgrade down the line and I guess I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for learning sources.

I finally have room in my home studio for a kit. I am an almost complete beginner tho
- I haven't scoped out the cheap e-kits for a while, but given your height, make sure you know what you're getting into -- I remember a couple generations ago Alesis Nitro-something-or-other was nearly maxed out extension wise for my modest 5'8" frame.

- While I agree with everyone here about snare, hi-hat and cymbals being the challenge and you get what you pay for yadda yadda yadda, the weakest link for a person starting to learn drums is the drummer. For, like, a year or two. Easily. If you're anything like me, you can learn other stringed/fretted instruments pretty quickly, but shifting to drums, or keys, or penny whistle (there was a time not too long ago...) all take a lot longer to get up to speed on than stuff now than it did back in my teens-30s. If the goal is to play stuff for recordings, you're probably still going to be going in and massaging the MIDI data a good bit for a while, regardless of how awesome your trigger/pad setup. Nice instruments are nice, don't get me wrong, and always worth it. But...keep some perspective on "necessity" of it at this stage.

I think an e kit is the best method to both preserve hearing as well as have manageable level at rehearsals! I have to use IEM's due to loud drummers

Welcome to the minutia page. They can't help over analyzing everything.

My advice. Do some on line research. Watch some YouTube demos of the possible contenders. Pick something in your price range, and get going.

There's some dude on youtube that has a lesson membership thing. I actually found his exercises and content more helpful than drumeo for actually learning to play, despite finding drumeo way more inspiring/entertaining.

EDIT: His name is Stephen Taylor

Reactions: Axe
There's some dude on youtube that has a lesson membership thing. I actually found his exercises and content more helpful than drumeo for actually learning to play, despite finding drumeo way more inspiring/entertaining.

EDIT: His name is Stephen Taylor

Thank you sir :beer

Sometimes that’s a PITA with a double kick pedal. You’ll often see players who use double bass drums have a second set of high hats that are kept semi-closed to use when they need to play sticks on the high hat and double kick at the same time

Yep, that along with a drop-clutch make hi-hat work a bit more simplified when using a double pedal or double kicks. A remote hi-hat pedal can be stuck anywhere on the floor and make footwork a bit more efficient, but that’s a bit further past beginner stages.

Personally, I prefer the feel of a double pedal because the way the beaters bounce off the head once it’s been struck, but for some guys, that’s exactly why they hate double pedals.

Any drummers in the fold here?

I suddenly got a hair up my hiney and want to learn drums. I'm thinking about an inexpensive electronic kit I could upgrade down the line and I guess I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for learning sources.

I finally have room in my home studio for a kit. I am an almost complete beginner tho

I'm no drummer, but I've banged around on a couple electronic drum kits. I can't tell the diffrence between what's good and what's not, but I heard from several pro drummers that Roland's electronic drums feel the most like real drums.

The drummer in the band I play in has an electronic drum kit (Roland) but he uses a real snare and cymbals with it. He says the toms and kick sound fine, but to get a really good snare and cymbal sound he likes to use a real snare and cymbals.

Last edited:
I'm no drummer, but I've banged around on a couple electronic drum kits. I can't tell the diffrence between what's good and what's not, but I heard from several pro drummers that Roland's electronic drums feel the most like real drums.

The drummer in the band I play in has an electronic drum kit (Roland) but he uses a real snare and cymbals with it. He says the toms and kick sound fine, but to get a really good snare and cymbal sound he likes to use a real snare and cymbals.

Hybrid kits can be all kinds of awesome. I use acoustic hats and cymbals with my current E-kit.

20220703_145228.jpg

I did. I thought they sucked. :sofa

They also break easily. :idk

Still have them and the brain. Not something I would recommend to anyone.

I did. I thought they sucked. :sofa

They also break easily. :idk

Still have them and the brain. Not something I would recommend to anyone.
Interesting... We used them in a silent stage setup and thought they sounded great.

I'm pretty sure our drummer has had his for years.

Back