Do you have a cut off for supporting or liking songs or artists?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
For instance a songs lyrics speak in a negative light toward something you believe strongly in, or maybe the artist did something terrible and unforgivable? Maybe the artist supports something you refuse to support or believe in?

My personal cutoff is if the person(s) did bad things to children or were a wife beater. I'm sure there are other things but those are the 2 main ones for me. To me those 2 things are inexcusable. Political or sexist rants in songs don't bother me at all. That person has beliefs that I dont and so what? I did refuse to perform Crazy Bitch one time when my daughter was in attendance of the show. She is/was an adult but I just couldn't bring myself to it.

Ted Nugent has entered the chat. And stayed there.

I have a long Ted story that I will condense. My buddy recently spent a week hunting with Uncle Ted. My buddy is a classical JFK democrat and he said Ted was one of the most wonderful, kind, and smart dudes he's ever hung out with. From his mouth to Gods ears. Then they jammed Stranglehold!

I have a long Ted story that I will condense. My buddy recently spent a week hunting with Uncle Ted. My buddy is a classical JFK democrat and he said Ted was one of the most wonderful, kind, and smart dudes he's ever hung out with. From his mouth to Gods ears.
I actually don't have anything against the guy. He was just the first name that popped in my head :bag

Due to the way I write music, it’s hard for me to attach art to the artist on a personal level. I‘m definitely not the only one who thinks the music is already existing on some plane and we’re just interpreting it. Whenever I’m really inspired, I hear the whole song in my head at once, nothing is really pieced together and while it was in my head, it doesn’t really feel ‘right’ to say *I* wrote it. It was already there.

Take away the hippie dippie part and I suppose it depends. Hard for me not to love Michael Jackson’s music and who knows what was up with that dude. It was MJ the performer I loved as a kid, not the person he was behind closed doors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Joshe Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age appears to be a major f*cking asshole, but man “No One Knows” kicks ass.

I sent a Signature guitar back because of something I discovered about the "artist" the guitar was made for. So yeah,
I didn't want that fuckwad getting royalty $$$ from me.

I would say as far as personalities that turn me off or bands I lost respect for as off late Motley Crüe
Tommy is an ass , Vince is so lazy he could not be bothered to go to an actual gym
And Sixx , who I respect as a songwriter has no integrity and can’t shut up on the internet

Prince too , when I heard the story that he asked to borrow kids guitar in a club show and then smashed it right in front of him and I think in return gave him an autograph
Like F u that is quite possibly one of the most disrespectful things ever

Who knows what that guitar meant to kid. What if it was a gift from his dad who passed away ?

The way Pete Thorn talks down to people and word vomits an opinion on Twitter (often with nothing other than a layman’s understanding of the issue) made me think less of him. Granted its not kid touching or wife beating, but still. I’d probably buy a recording or something he’s on if its for another artist. I dont hate him or anything. I used to watch his Sunday livestreams quite regularly. After a few less than pleasant unrelated twitter exchanges, I lost interest.

The way Pete Thorn talks down to people and word vomits an opinion on Twitter (often with nothing other than a layman’s understanding of the issue) made me think less of him. Granted its not kid touching or wife beating, but still. I’d probably buy a recording or something he’s on if its for another artist. I dont hate him or anything. I used to watch his Sunday livestreams quite regularly. After a few less than pleasant unrelated twitter exchanges, I lost interest.
It is a pretty cancerous platform to be honest, pretty much by design. I don't believe that anyone's Twitter account is a reflection of who they truly are, just a snippet of them in that moment. It doesn't provide enough space for the nuances that people are comprised of. You'd probably find in the pub he'd be a much more chill person to hang out with.

It is a pretty cancerous platform to be honest, pretty much by design. I don't believe that anyone's Twitter account is a reflection of who they truly are, just a snippet of them in that moment. It doesn't provide enough space for the nuances that people are comprised of. You'd probably find in the pub he'd be a much more chill person to hang out with.
Agreed ,I have seen Pete very occasionally get uptight but it very rare , he is generally pretty easy going helpful and I feel honest in his reviews

He has said if he does not like a product he won’t likely review it
He does have his affiliations Freidman , Suhr but he is open about that

But like everyone on the net he does have bad days and has voiced an opinion strongly on occasion

Last edited:
I swore off social media a few months ago and my life got instantly better for it.
I’ve met Pete a few times at NAMM and he was pleasant enough.
It’s said politics and religion shouldn’t be discussed for a reason. It’s all he does on Twitter and isn’t looking for a friendly discussion. He seeks an echo chamber and dare anyone else offer a differing opinion, no matter how respectful.
It’s literally all he really uses Twitter for. All his other social media is chill, usually guitar related stuff.
Given past interactions on Twitter, it’s really hard to not think of that the next time I see him. I’ll probably just go to another booth. There are 9000 YouTube channels all pushing the same gear at the same time anyway. He doesn’t need my tip money that bad.

As an aside, we should all realize social media and the entire internet in general is a form of COMMUNICATION. When people suck at it, they really ought to limit their time on the www’s.
It’s ok to disagree. Tell me why. Communicate. Don’t brow beat me. I heard your opinion. I don’t agree. This is why. Communicate. I respect that. The simple fact you can place a couple more notes a second in better places than I can doesn’t make you a better person than me.

Edit - all this ‘hot button issues’ are typically complex problems very few people have a full understanding of. It’s ok to have opinions on them, but to think anyone on the other side of the fence may come to a different opposite opinion and not have good reasons for it is ignorant at best. We are all comprised of our unique experiences. Where I’ve been and what I’ve done mold my opinions through experience. Find out why before browbeating me and labeling me a horrible person.

Prince too , when I heard the story that he asked to borrow kids guitar in a club show and then smashed it right in front of him and I think in return gave him an autograph
Prince was a colossal ass. He destroyed a vintage Epi Wilshire that Captain Kirk owned. Kirk was nothing but polite about it though, as he’s a classy dude. But still, completely unacceptable. Was he a major talent? Yes. But there are far better, that aren’t such douchebags.

Back