Do Something Week 8! FINAL WEEK!!!

DrewJD82

Staff member
"Week" :facepalm

This will be the final challenge week! Is someone gonna knock Iron1 off the throne? (Make sure he flushes first!) After this challenge we can regroup and discuss how we'd like to move forward with these!

@Iron1- 18!!!
@sotipay - 1
@Alex Kenivel - 13
@duzie - 2
@FAKA! - 7
@metropolis_4 - 3
@TJontheRoad - 8
@SeeD - 1
@Fireproof - 1
@la szum - 4
@Piing - 5
@TheTrueZoltan! - 4
@Jarick - 1
@JiveTurkey - 5
@woody - 3
@Gearzilla - 5
@Whizzinby - 6
@TravisG406 - 17!!!
@fretworn -4
@Bruce - 6
@DrewJD82 -4
@mbenigni -1
@norminal -5
@the-trooper -1
@AminorZmajor -1
@FuzzyAce -1

(As usual, if I got a number wrong just lemme know!!!)

Last edited:
I've enjoyed participating in the Challenge. Thanks for those who listened to my musical ramblings.

Here's a track that features my two latest gear acquisitions. Osmose and Les Paul in delicate interactions.

Last edited:
A little off the beaten path for me. I bartered production for chihuahua sitting while I'm at NAMM. This artist sent me piano midi and her recorded at home vocals. I turned it into this.

This took a weeks worth of pretty extensive production. What I did:

Triple miced acoustic guitars
Recorded and reamped all the electrics (Phil X Friedman)
Came up with drum and bass parts (superior and IK Modo Bass)
Brass and orchestral parts (I think it was Miroslav)
Ran all the vocals thru the BLA CLA Bluey. My god it turns a vocal into silk.
Had a lot of eventide stuff going on, including a weird patch that does some odd harmonization on the lead guitars. You can really hear it on the last note of the song ring out.

Mastered with a combination of my SSL outboard stuff (Fusion and Bus plus) and Ozone 10.

Not too shabby for an ape in his basement I guess.

Won’t be able to make a new clip this week, however finally had the good fortune to run across this 3d animation again online tonight that I had lost when a thread was taken down elsewhere. I had made this clip back in 2021 over a weekly challenge of sorts based on the animation. Unfortunately at the time I was the only person who made a submission. So I thought I’d post them up together once again as my contribution for this final week of the first 8 week go round here.

giphy.gif

Built the backing portion in Logic. Bass track was Helix Native. Guitar was an NDSP Abasi preset.

I’m really glad to see the weekly challenge at The Gear Forum has taken off, and plan on participating in the next one with some more fresh clips.

Last edited:
Won’t be able to make a new clip this week, however finally had the good fortune to run across this 3d animation again online tonight that I had lost when a thread was taken down elsewhere. I had made this clip back in 2021 over a weekly challenge of sorts based on the animation. Unfortunately at the time I was the only person who made a submission. So I thought I’d post them up together once again as my contribution for this final week of the first 8 week go round here.

giphy.gif

Built the backing portion in Logic. Bass track was Helix Native. Guitar was an NDSP Abasi preset.

I’m really glad to see the weekly challenge at The Gear Forum has taken off, and plan on participating in the next one with some more fresh clips.

Was it too long ago? I'm getting major deja Vu lol

Decided to sit and do a track strictly with my 1994 Ibanez "brothers". I bought my 94 RG470 brand new the day it landed at Veneman's music in Rockville MD. A few months later my brother bought the 1994 EXB445 from, IIRC, Chuck Levin's in Wheaton MD. Both were used on a few demos from one of my old bands and four songs recorded for compilation albums.

Around 1997, my brother loaned the bass to a friend, who got stupid and pawned it for drugs... as you can imagine, that created all.the.drama.

About 5 years ago, my bother pinged me said he found his bass on eBay, then he bought it back. I asked how he could be sure, and he just said "I know."

Then, about 2.5 years ago he died suddenly. I went back to DC for the funeral and inherited the bass. The second I picked it up, I knew too. It has these weird stains on the back of the neck, that almost look like is soaked up dirty motor oil in a few spots. But, it's been that way since he bought it. The second I saw those stains, memories came flooding back and it was 1997 again.

In 2016(7)? I had to sell the RG on Reverb to help pay the mortgage in a tough season. After getting the bass, I wished I'd never sold the guitar. A little over a year ago a friend who builds custom guitars bugged me to try and get the RG back. I tracked down the buyer on Reverb, reached out, and after some Radar O'Reilly level wheeling and dealing, I got the RG back. I swapped the tuners, trem and pups and that same friend then did a super sweet set up on it.

Not long after, my bandmate in TWOxFOUR @LiveeviL2000 (who does amazing guitar refinishing) offered to paint the bass electric purple, the color my brother always said he wanted to have it redone in "someday". Once I got it back, I slapped a set of Bartolini pups in it and now both the RG and EXB have new life full of old memories.

S1fiDw4.jpg

Now that I've bored you to death with too many words, here's the track done entirely with the RG and EXB:

For some bizarre reason, GarageBand decided to export it with almost an entire minute of dead air on the end. I deleted it, re-saved, re-exported and got the same result... no clue what that's all about, but whatevs...

Back