Do Something - Season Three - Week FIVE (it's ALIVE!)

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Welcome to Week FIVE (it's ALIVE!) As noted in my submission last week, monsters are real, and sometimes they get married - creating one of the strangest dynamics known to man or myth, the domesticated monster!

Lurch_Addams_%28Ted_Cassidy%29.jpg

(my latest dating app profile pic)

Speaking of how life is going, here's what's happening so far:

Regular weekly/bi-weekly challenge:

TJontheRoad - 3
Whizzinby - 4
T Gobbs - 2
Sleezy E - 5
Iron1 - 5
Alex Kenivel - 7!!!!

@FuzzyAce - 2
@Piing - 1
@PLX - 2
@megametal7 - 2
@fretworn - 1
@Moondog Wily - 2
@duzie - 1
BahamaDada - 3
Gearzilla - 1
PLX - 1
@aldunk - 1
@scole - 1

@EveryoneElse - slackers

That's 44 pieces of music that didn't exist prior to this challenge season. Way to go!

The rest of TGF combined:

6q9k2x.jpg

TGF Do Something Season Two BANDMATE CHAMPION:

@Sleezy E
and @Gearzilla are the first official Bandmate Challenge entrants! Congrats for making history my dudes!

Ok, time to get going with Week Five (it's ALIVE!)

f2e1ab082e83ac27c667ae2d6102a3fe.jpg

Congrats to all who have participated already!
For all the rules, reasons why you shouldn't hook jumper cables up to the recently deceased, why you should really use the gear you buy more than you post about it on a forum, why Iron1's dating app profile reads like a cautionary tale for the undateable and more, please refer to the Week One thread.

Hard to believe I got something done, it was of those weeks for sure.. :roflBut here it is, in all its guitar-centric glory!

Stuck with my color theme as inspiration -- this time it was black:
IMG_1630.jpeg

Used this guitar only and these pedals in some form or fashion. Main lead guitar is the Rat post-boosted with the Supa-Trem2. Other processing with cab IR from Metallurgy 1960 cab. Bass was boosted a bit with the MF Drive and run through Helix Native. Of course various other plugins used throughout.

I started this song with no idea (like all of these challenge songs lol) but I soon found when I cranked the Rat as shown in the pic, and using the 1960 cab IR, I got this EJ reminiscent tone like a Tube Driver, although a little more ratty sounding (imagine that). I used some post eq to dial it in better.
Anyways, thought I'd write something in the vein of Eric Johnson and pay tribute since he's a true original. Mine is a selfish attempt at trying to capture some of that energy he possesses, but it just reminds me that he has something very special that can't be copied. There's a little nod to Jimi and the end too. I'm sure the mix needs work but I need an ear break.. :rofl

Last edited:
Someone contacted me about a "feature" on a track. Sounds like he needed a rapper, so after I sent him a sample verse, he must have figured it out that I'm not a rapper lol. The guy ghosted me ever since so I decided to take the verse I recorded and make a new beat for it.

It's supposed to be a song based on the Resident Evil franchise, and my part was from the POV of Dr. William Birkin, the scientist credited for creating the G Virus. In the story he decides to leave the Umbrella Corporation after getting denied a promotion. Taking what he can of his viral samples, mercenaries arrive on the scene to take him away, but they end up fatally shooting him -- not before he can inject himself with a sample of the virus.

The beat was made from a basic kick/hat/snare, guitar and bass through HX Native, and a bunch of samples from the Resident Evil games.

Last edited:
After a day of rest, I listened back to my mix and dang that thing has serious issues. :roflSorry if it hurt your ears. The playing I'm ok with, just some artifacts and distortion going on with the drums mainly. Tried to mix on some HD280 pro headphones and that was a mistake, couldn't trust my ears with those.
Have some new headphones and an amp coming in on wednesday. So I'm sure as shit gonna remix that first.:grin

Sounds ok to me here, @FuzzyAce . Mastered a bit hotter than everyone else's tracks here,
so maybe that is why there is a bit of clipping/artifacts you are hearing. :idk

Cool tones and playing. :beer

Ripping it up at the 3:00 mark. :rawk

This was supposed to be a collab with another forum member but life got in the way. So, decided to finish it myself and submit as a solo venture:

that's badass Iron! i was headbangin halfway in.:grin probably looked weird since i was driving at the time?

Sounds ok to me here, @FuzzyAce . Mastered a bit hotter than everyone else's tracks here,
so maybe that is why there is a bit of clipping/artifacts you are hearing. :idk

Cool tones and playing. :beer

Ripping it up at the 3:00 mark. :rawk
Appreciate that!

Does a song I started to record last week and finish this week count as this week?
That's a good question.:grin
I can only put significant music time in on the weekends. So I'll either start on something maybe Friday night but definitely Saturday. If I don't get it done by the deadline I'll just release it in the new week. I haven't read all the fine print in the rules but that's what I do.

:sofa

Awesome @Iron1 !

For anyone interested, I edited my first post with a remixed version. First try with a new headphone/amp setup. New mix is warmer, less sibilant for sure. Still getting used to the sound.

Hard to believe I got something done, it was of those weeks for sure.. :roflBut here it is, in all its guitar-centric glory!

Stuck with my color theme as inspiration -- this time it was black:
View attachment 9837
Used this guitar only and these pedals in some form or fashion. Main lead guitar is the Rat post-boosted with the Supa-Trem2. Other processing with cab IR from Metallurgy 1960 cab. Bass was boosted a bit with the MF Drive and run through Helix Native. Of course various other plugins used throughout.

I started this song with no idea (like all of these challenge songs lol) but I soon found when I cranked the Rat as shown in the pic, and using the 1960 cab IR, I got this EJ reminiscent tone like a Tube Driver, although a little more ratty sounding (imagine that). I used some post eq to dial it in better.
Anyways, thought I'd write something in the vein of Eric Johnson and pay tribute since he's a true original. Mine is a selfish attempt at trying to capture some of that energy he possesses, but it just reminds me that he has something very special that can't be copied. There's a little nod to Jimi and the end too. I'm sure the mix needs work but I need an ear break.. :rofl

New mix sounds killer - and the old one didn’t suck.
Someone contacted me about a "feature" on a track. Sounds like he needed a rapper, so after I sent him a sample verse, he must have figured it out that I'm not a rapper lol. The guy ghosted me ever since so I decided to take the verse I recorded and make a new beat for it.

It's supposed to be a song based on the Resident Evil franchise, and my part was from the POV of Dr. William Birkin, the scientist credited for creating the G Virus. In the story he decides to leave the Umbrella Corporation after getting denied a promotion. Taking what he can of his viral samples, mercenaries arrive on the scene to take him away, but they end up fatally shooting him -- not before he can inject himself with a sample of the virus.

The beat was made from a basic kick/hat/snare, guitar and bass through HX Native, and a bunch of samples from the Resident Evil games.

If Frank Zappa and Adrian Belew had a kid, they’d have to name them Kenivel.
Synth messin' around time

Very cool. From mall keyboard store to killer video game to pulse pounding movie soundtrack. Impressive!

The only thing double tracked is some of the fuzz guitars in the chorus. Heavy rhythms are just two different amp/cab models panned. Would have done things differently if I didn't want to button it up today, actually record the harmonies instead of bussing it out to a harmonizer, hard panning the harmonies. I don't like the bass sound but I don't hate the snare as much on this.

Back