DIY Pedalboard Build

That's what they always turned out to be for me. Never had as elaborated rigs as you, but there's been some rather fancy (for me at least) WDW, WD and stereo attempts. Couldn't afford the great stuff people like Lukather would slap into their Bradshaw rigs (back then the toppermost of the poppermost was something like an SPX 90 for me, fortunately some while later things such as the Intellifex/Intelliverb were showing up for vastly more affordable prices), but otherwise I went kinda all in with rack splitters/mixers and what not.
But then, while things sounded absolutely impressive in the rehearsal room, when it came to live playing (which happens to be my main job), it always got nasty. Started with the hauling, then you had to look for a space on stage for all that stuff, cable things up, etc. Only to find out that the house mixer didn't understand how to mic (or rather mix) a WDW setup, so either everything was bone dry or soaking wet FOH. Also, given that I'm not a big name hired gun, the venues I'm playing in aren't exactly asking for guitarists with a big @ss setup but rather the opposite (and since a few years sometimes even demand silent stages).
Whatever, that's why I'm always curious whether and how people are putting these rigs to good use.
Hi Sashca, you're 100% correct on all counts.

I've tried it and seen people try with these rigs under @normal everyday conditions. Waste of time, money and energy. The venue has to have stereo PA to start with, and the audience has to be standing in the right spot. When I saw EVH in '98 running WDW, all I heard was his dry sound.

Unless you really wanted to do it with the "old stuff", an FM3/9, HX xxxx etc. can replicate that type of rig setup so easily if you put your mind to it, and at seriously less cost.

They'll kick me out of the HRI union, but if you check that Axe grid diagram posted, it replicated the 16RU I built in 2010/11 in a 6RU. Easier (still heavy) to lug around, but sounded just as good, more flexible, and was easier to manage.

Best rigs I've built have been mono and the most fun to use - I just play! The gear building is more like an artform and a hobby, something I really enjoy doing, but kind of separated from playing to me. I don't need it to play.

Again, like building Hotrods - how many Hotrods get to the actual dragstrip (more likely a car show or a cruise)?

I'm physically unable to do too much atm after some recent surgery (other than spend way too much time on internet forums), so right now been messing with my next rig - a Morningstar MC8 and HXFX combo for 4cm. Definitely easier to lug around.

It's not very dense wood, it's pretty light and it's not much heavier than my old pedaltrain. Of course I sold it and I can't directly compare.

This is how you threadbomb! You make the racking, too?
Hi Alex, apologies for muddying the thread. Not done a rack case as per say. Mainly since they're off the shelf. If you've got a table saw, you can do them - look at any of them they aren't an exacting science.

Hi Alex, apologies for muddying the thread. Not done a rack case as per say. Mainly since they're off the shelf. If you've got a table saw, you can do them - look at any of them they aren't an exacting science.
Part of me is kicking myself for offloading a table saw. It did have a part recalled and the monstrosity was from the early 60s. That was before I started DIYing.

No worries about the threadbombing! Its notsomuch a TGF faux pas AFAICT and your posts are totally worth it. I spent a good part of my lunch break just looking at it :love

Cutting off some overhang
20230412_203701.jpg

Did some chiseling to get off some overhang. Worked well on the large center strip (different type of wood: Harder) Turns out that's not a good idea with such soft wood, ended up blowing out a bit of an end:
20230412_211212.jpg

20230413_070433.jpg
filled in with a mixture of sawdust and wood glue. Dried overnight. Ready for scraping, sanding and glue/rescrewing.

Hey Alex,

Would you put some sealer/paint onto it? Might warp if it gets wet on the bottom from the beer at your local digs, unsealed.

***disclamer - not a woodworking expert***

Hey Alex,

Would you put some sealer/paint onto it? Might warp if it gets wet on the bottom from the beer at your local digs, unsealed.

***disclamer - not a woodworking expert***
Yeah, was thinking about painting it at least and putting feet on it. Not giggin atm so not in a hurry

Hi Alex,

Threadbomb alert, but you asked if I'd done racking before. Guess this was pretty much a rack. 10RU full one side, 5 slider drawers for pedals on the other. meant to be a fixed "Sunday driver", never to leave the house. I need a chain block slung from my garage rafters to lift it onto my workbench. Very talented wife actually Tolexed it for me in skanky snakeskin to match the head and cab. I never got it finished, still have it, will get to it again someday.

Mock-up

ibDdcKl.jpg

Glued, screwed and braced.

CJTLW76.jpg

Pencil-rounded edges with router

15MDoGJ.jpg

Push-to-open drawer slides flat mounted on rebated Ali angle.

Id3WBZD.jpg

All the sliders installed, Mrs' killer Tolex job

eV3B1sE.jpg

Power supply I built for the system (another pedal board-style one in the 19" slider)

tB1gIIv.jpg

bLZcLNK.jpg

Started wiring the thing up, but pandemic hit, and my work was deemed "essential services". Started stealing bits out of it for other rigs. Now, after 4 years, want a different configuration in it. But it's still there......one day.

vxgDNRa.jpg

MFx94IS.jpg

Hi Alex,

Threadbomb alert, but you asked if I'd done racking before. Guess this was pretty much a rack. 10RU full one side, 5 slider drawers for pedals on the other. meant to be a fixed "Sunday driver", never to leave the house. I need a chain block slung from my garage rafters to lift it onto my workbench. Very talented wife actually Tolexed it for me in skanky snakeskin to match the head and cab. I never got it finished, still have it, will get to it again someday.

Mock-up

ibDdcKl.jpg

Glued, screwed and braced.

CJTLW76.jpg

Pencil-rounded edges with router

15MDoGJ.jpg

Push-to-open drawer slides flat mounted on rebated Ali angle.

Id3WBZD.jpg

All the sliders installed, Mrs' killer Tolex job

eV3B1sE.jpg

Power supply I built for the system (another pedal board-style one in the 19" slider)

tB1gIIv.jpg

bLZcLNK.jpg

Started wiring the thing up, but pandemic hit, and my work was deemed "essential services". Started stealing bits out of it for other rigs. Now, after 4 years, want a different configuration in it. But it's still there......one day.

vxgDNRa.jpg

MFx94IS.jpg
VERY nice work! Always wondered about the GT-Pro :unsure:
Not sure if this is a good idea but I'm gonna try to mount my G10 to the underside of the board for a little more room up top. I wonder how that will impede the wireless functionality View attachment 6507View attachment 6508
I LOVE this idea. Great use of space once it's all said and done \m/

That's a great idea! Maybe you could run a small wood or metal brace across the bottom of it to clamp it in place.
I can see the perfect piece of hardware in my head but idk if it actually exists. If I could fabricate my own hardware the world would be my oyster but I'll use a very temporary couple of velcro dots to see how the wireless does.

But a little wood platform would be cool

Not sure if this is a good idea but I'm gonna try to mount my G10 to the underside of the board for a little more room up top. I wonder how that will impede the wireless functionality View attachment 6507View attachment 6508
I reckon a bit of flat across where the dual lock is going east/west in this shot. Pick it up with a couple of screws through the side, left-to-right in parallel where your thumb is. If you could turn the unit 90 degrees clockwise, you could then just plug you incoming lead in under the board (just flip it over), and then not worry about it getting tread onto.

Keep it coming!

Bulk of the sanding is complete, still might want to go over some more small area by hand. Glued all wood joints together.
20230418_092005.jpg

Power supply came in the same time as the HX current doubler. Going to need some right angle adapters for the doubler and right angle USB-B power for the MIDI Commander. Wireless works well with the base underneath the board.
20230418_091523.jpg

Now I get to figure out how to mount the power supply and G10 under the board. I have a DA Midibox One on its way that I'm hoping will change channels on my amp (fingers crossed) - - will go underneath as well.
20230418_091832.jpg

Phono and XLR jacks for the patchbay came in yesterday - still waiting for mounting plates for the phonos, need to order an IEC mount and dual lock for the top, drill everything, paint.

Getting there!

Had this idea to hold the G10 in with a snug piece of wood against the side and a dowel along the bottom. Pretty rigid as of now. The dowel can slide out (needs a little force) so the G10 can be taken in/out
20230418_112251.jpg

Back