Devin Townsend Megathread

I'm halfway in and completely speechless, this is the creasiest thing I've ever seen, completely bonkers. But can't stop watching.

Last edited:
I'm 20min in...

Walt Disney Kaa GIF by Turner Classic Movies

I almost want to wait until I get my hands on some shrooms.

Edit- 3:24 minutes in and nope, I would not watch this while taking any hallucinogen I actually enjoy doing.

Last edited:
My only memory of Puzzle was that I had to shut it off because it was just way too nutty, but it had been on for a bit and I may have just started paying attention during an odd part. I'm 20 minutes in and I'm not sure if it's the visual aiding int he process, but this is really cool.

I love Devy. I remember seeing Vai's band on Leno, and I'm "who the fuck is this guy? He rules!"
Screenshot-2023-08-21-at-18.41.12-800x445.png

This was REALLY awkward for me to see :oops::rofl

I am glad I didn't follow Steve Vai at the time and came into Devin via the Detox video into City and then hearing Christine :chef :satan Listening to the Puzzle now. It's cool because it's him and I dig some of the more "coherent" vibes so far; but I certainly (generally) pine for his more straightforward vibes and songwriting here as of late.

I've been a huge DT fan since the late 90s, but to be honest the last of his albums that I loved unreservedly from start to finish is Accelerated Evolution. And that's a looong time ago. In the last couple of years I finally lost interest in his new albums. I listened to Empath once and didn't like it at all. Haven't even listened to more than one song from Lightwork.

Ocean Machine still sits firmly in my Top 3 all-time favorite albums list, though. What a masterpiece!

I've been a huge DT fan since the late 90s, but to be honest the last of his albums that I loved unreservedly from start to finish is Accelerated Evolution. And that's a looong time ago. In the last couple of years I finally lost interest in his new albums. I listened to Empath once and didn't like it at all. Haven't even listened to more than one song from Lightwork.

Ocean Machine still sits firmly in my Top 3 all-time favorite albums list, though. What a masterpiece!
Yeah, Ocean Machine is a banger.

Lightwork really resonated with me. Apparently it was his “antidote” to the aftermath of the pandemic (Puzzle).

I tend to lean more towards his melodic and “radio friendly” albums, such as Addicted, Epicloud, Transcendence, etc.

Casualties of Cool is a great album to chill to.

Yeah, kinda crazy how Dev can put some music out that I want to tattoo to my ear drums, but other stuff falls completely flat or even pushes me away.

I first heard him on Sex And Religion in ‘97 after I got into Vai. Shortly after I heard SYL and I was NOT into metal yet, I immediately hated it and couldn’t reason that it was the same guy. I can’t remember if it was “Storm” or “Suicide”, but I downloaded a bunch of his stuff on Napster and it was one of those songs that made me think “Oh wait, maybe he’s not just all screamy metal dude?”, regardless, that did it for me and I’ve been a fan ever since.

I don’t dig anything off Z2 or Epicloud and there’s plenty more. Ocean Machine is easily my favorite collection of Dev tunes in one place, but there’s stuff on other albums I hold closer to the heart. Lightwork is outstanding, I tend not to go more than a week without listening to the first few tunes on that one.

Overall, catchy Devy is the stuff I love the most. Doesn’t need to be heavy, “normal”, light, just give me a hook.

Man, this has been EXCELLENT so far! I thought it’d be wrapping up shortly then saw I was only halfway through it!

It’s quite endearing overall, not the insight they’re both doling out in spades, but this student/teacher relationship between them that still persists today despite them essentially being peers in their own rights, but the display of what a legitimate friendship. It’s not a couple guys just blowing smoke up each other’s asses. Definitely the most I’ve ever heard Vai laugh!

I cracked up when Dev asked “Do you deal with imposter syndrome? I mean, you’re Steve Vai” :rofl

Edit- Ok, for those over 50, what’s up with taking a piss in the middle of the night and needing to sit down? Vai laughed that off like a “welcome to the club” chuckle. The only thing I can think from my perspective now is my back?

Last edited:
Man, they go pretty deep in the second half of this. @la szum and @jellodog I‘m quite certain would appreciate the conversation. Dev straight up grills Vai a couple times when Vai was approaching things from a bit too altruistic mindset. Much deeper conversation than you’d expect on a podcast with a really good guitar player and a dude who screams and/or sings beautifully about poop, cheeseburgers and masturbating.

Holy shite! 30 years ago already. I remember reading the interview when this first came out and Devin's 'uniqueness' was already on full display. Nice to see he hasn't compromised himself one bit.

ETya9aPCNkh89iZAzeCWBQ.jpg

Back