D'dadario XPND pedalboard...anyone have one?

jazzgtr72

Was thinking about getting the smallest one. anyone use one of these? quality looks good.

I was really considering getting one of these until I thought about some issues with the concept.
  • Look at the gigbag. It's basically designed to fit the fully expanded board. Sure, if yours is smaller, you can use dividers and use that space for e.g cable storage. But I think if it had a zipper to collapse it to smaller like some suitcases do, that would be a nicer design.
  • Cable management is pretty limited.
  • No patch bay support for easy connections. I guess you could velcro one to the bottom.
  • The edge between the expanding and non-expanding part requires some spacer, like a stack of Dual Lock or something to put pedals on top of it, overlapping both sides.
  • It's pretty heavy. The XPND 2 is 4kg.
My larger Temple Audio Trio 21 is 1.54 kg. Put on enough pedals and it gets pretty heavy.

I was really considering getting one of these until I thought about some issues with the concept.
  • Look at the gigbag. It's basically designed to fit the fully expanded board. Sure, if yours is smaller, you can use dividers and use that space for e.g cable storage. But I think if it had a zipper to collapse it to smaller like some suitcases do, that would be a nicer design.
  • No patch bay support for easy connections. I guess you could velcro one to the bottom.
  • The edge between the expanding and non-expanding part requires some spacer, like a stack of Dual Lock or something to put pedals on top of it, overlapping both sides.
My larger Temple Audio Trio 21 is 1.54 kg. Put on enough pedals and it gets pretty heavy.
Yup, agree fully on these.

It might be cool for the bedroom player though, but as soon as you hit the road, you need consistency.

Cool, thanks for the info. Ya i thgouht that too about the cable management as well. it is a cool idea forsure..i was just going to try the small one i didnt see the gig bag for it yet

Yup, agree fully on these.

It might be cool for the bedroom player though, but as soon as you hit the road, you need consistency.
Yeah, but it's not like other boards don't have their own issues, like Temple Audio's stupid mounting plate glue things, or the way the larger versions of those boards can flex a bit while stomping on the pedals.

I think the XPND is a really cool idea and I'm surprised nobody has done it before to my knowledge. It's probably a good solution for people who regularly change their board for different bands/gigs or have a revolving door of pedals coming and going.

Yeah, but it's not like other boards don't have their own issues, like Temple Audio's stupid mounting plate glue things, or the way the larger versions of those boards can flex a bit while stomping on the pedals.

I think the XPND is a really cool idea and I'm surprised nobody has done it before to my knowledge. It's probably a good solution for people who regularly change their board for different bands/gigs or have a revolving door of pedals coming and going.
Yeah, it's definitely something new and will find its own market niche, since it probably appeals to lots of people.

Regarding Temple, I found the idea interesting but the practical approach destroys the product, at least for me personally. Also, they're freaking expensive, compared to all the decent-enough run-of-the-mill boards out there.

I really like the design of the pedalboards Fender came out with a while ago. Looks good and practical solutions for routing, built in cable tie mounts etc..

1691689016538.png

1691689109698.png

Attachments

• 1691689039721.png
    1691689039721.png
    241 KB · Views: 14
I really don't get the point of these. When it's smaller, you save the weight of the pedals that aren't on there yet? Uh, okay.

Back