I built a 4CM rig with the Boss GT1000 Core

Desertdweller

Roadie
@TubeStack has a thread he started about using the big GT1000, and i thought I’d throw in my recent experience with the smaller Core model. Seriously this pedal doesn't get enough love. The amp modeling isn't great, but the AD/DA converters are amazing and the effects are very good. This is a full 90s rack system in one pedal and it is truly awesome.

So utilizing the full MIDI implementation, in one night I was able to program 5 or 6 patches in both my MC8 and the Core. Page 1 of my MC8 selects the preset with MIDI PCs, page 2 of the MC8 is a pedalboard where I use CCs to switch in and out effects and change channels on the amp using the Core's control out. I have two CCs set up for the expression pedal so that when it goes to heel down the wah is off and when it goes above 1 the wah turns on and it becomes a wah pedal. You can set long press/short press on the MC8 too, so I have the BPM control for tap tempo as a short press on one pedal and if you hold it down it puts the Core in tuner mode.

The only part of the Core I'm not 100% bought in on is the reverb, so I am running my Neunaber pedal after it, though I may experiment with running it in the second loop of the core so I can switch it in and out.

All-in-all this is a keeper rig and I can easily see recording and playing gigs with this setup soon.

20230926_085748-01.jpeg
20230926_085755-01.jpeg
20230926_085809.jpg

Love this! :love

I am becoming more and more happy with the GT-1000 in 4cm as I get to know it, which has been a mostly quick and easy process. Really great tactile feel and I actually find the UI and general worklflow totally suits me. Also love the build quality and form factor. I like the reverb on my Electra Dyne, so I'm all good there.

That is a badass setup you've got there! :chef

Last edited:
Love this! :love

I am becoming more and more happy with the GT-1000 in 4cm as I get to know it, which has been a mostly quick and easy process. Really great tactile feel and I actually find the UI and general worklflow totally suits me. Also love the build quality and form factor. I like the the reverb on my Electra Dyne, so I'm all good there.

That is a badass setup you've got there! :chef
I think if more people got into this type of stuff they’d find it ultimately pretty rewarding. I’ve always been more of a rack gear guy than a pedal guy, and even with pedals I’ve always gravitated toward MIDI-capable pedals with presets. I just like being able to call up my sounds at a whim and not have to mess with knobs every time to get what I need from gear. It takes planning and programming the devices, but it’s really not hard and it’s so worth it.

Back