Creating my own IRs and I will share in this thread soon

You can use Room EQ wizard, which already has all the tools to create IRs: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Do you have any tips or guides on using REW to capture guitar cab IRs? I’ve tried, but the exports always come out at way too low a level, despite running normalization when I export. The only fix I’ve found it importing the REW export into Logic, then normalizing that way.

Thanks I will! I’m thinking next week. I think they’re just about ready, but I want to test with one more load box that should arrive early next week. I’m seeing quite a bit of variability in the Captor X in the bass response compared to other load boxes and I want to be sure of what I’m hearing before I publish anything.
Whenever you are ready to release them is fine. They will work on a Pod Go right?

Thanks I will! I’m thinking next week. I think they’re just about ready, but I want to test with one more load box that should arrive early next week. I’m seeing quite a bit of variability in the Captor X in the bass response compared to other load boxes and I want to be sure of what I’m hearing before I publish anything.
Compare the feel also.

Alright I promised. Here it is:

I included a readme file that I hope gives some clarity on the files and isn't too verbose.

Basic info:

• There are 500ms and 200ms versions of the IRs in the pack
  • There are 6 IRs I find to be the best to my ears, they're the first ones listed and they have an A rating (A1, A2, etc.)
  • The first two IRs are blends. The first one is a blend of the VR1 mic and SM57. The second one is a blend of 2 SM57 impulses. These sound great on their own or together. After that are a bunch of single mic IRs and I encourage you to have fun blending them.
This is not a professional pack and I'm not selling it. Please do not repackage these as your own, I'm just trying to be helpful and give people more options for free. I honestly just love to share. I recorded this in a way some would say is unorthodox, but I think they sound really good, and accurately represent my cab and the mics I used. I've tested them in multiple IR loaders, and the only one I didn't like these in was the Suhr. Two Notes, Fractal, Mesa Cab Clone IR, etc., these all work well with my IRs.

Please let me know your feedback and thoughts!

Last edited:
Ferocious!!! I dig it!!! 🍻
rocket power nicksplat GIF

Very big sounding IRs. I'm not a huge fan of the SM57 upper mid spike but that's personal preference.

I did notice that LuPone 102 - SE VR1 Ribbon Mic Pres 9 Depth 9 EQ-200ms and LuPone 201 SM57 Cone Pres Off Depth 12-200ms are both quieter than the rest of the files. Perhaps normalizing the files are in order?

Overall great work, I can see the hours and hours of labor put into this and thank you for sharing!

Very big sounding IRs. I'm not a huge fan of the SM57 upper mid spike but that's personal preference.

I did notice that LuPone 102 - SE VR1 Ribbon Mic Pres 9 Depth 9 EQ-200ms and LuPone 201 SM57 Cone Pres Off Depth 12-200ms are both quieter than the rest of the files. Perhaps normalizing the files are in order?

Overall great work, I can see the hours and hours of labor put into this and thank you for sharing!
Excellent feedback, and yes those two were quieter. I've updated the pack and normalized them so they are all at level now. thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Here is the new link and I changed the one in my post above as well:

That only works in the digital domain.

Correct, it's what I noticed myself as well. As soon as it's about analog equipment, the results are rather arbitrary, possibly because (maybe even more true for guitar cabs) there's a little bit of "pliability" (is that the proper word in english?), like, say, the speaker giving in just a minimal bit when the dirac hits it or so.

And fwiw, in case you're using a Mac and Logic, the Impulse Response Utility comes with it. Pretty self explanatory and the resulting SDIRs can be batch-converted (or just be renamed to .aif and then batch converted to any other format using whatever editors).

Namely, how are you converting the files to WAV?

Just rename them from .SDIR to .wav. In case you're running into problems loading them somewhere, use another (batch) converter. I'm using WaveLab but there should be plenty of options, even several free ones.

Back