Covid rant

Sorry to hear you and the wife are going through this! Do NOT discount the power of the mind when it comes to healing!! For most of my life, when I encounter a sickness (whether it is being inflicted or being exposed to, like encountering a person that I know is/seems to be sick), I set my mind into a repetitive cycle of chanting "you do not belong here, I am not your host, you must leave immediately" and things to that effect. Does it work, who knows, but it does not cost me a thing and the one time I did have covid (Feb 2022), it was gone within 12 hours. Whether that mental exercise had anything to do with it, I don't know, but if nothing else it puts my system in a place of being instructed to fight!!! Power to the heal ;~))
Not mocking you at all just made me think of this

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-sickness-be-gone.gif

Sorry, I need to vent...

The last 4 months were horrible.

My mom (75) was in the hospital with a bacterial infection, on top of having chronic non-hodgkins lymphoma/leukemia for 15+ years. She got released, but things got worse at home, which is why she was admitted once more, and - rather quickly developing symptoms resembling severe dementia - died in her sleep a month later, on 10/30.

My dad (87) also has a handful of medical issues, two of which are type 2 diabetes and prostate cancer. He's not doing so well, after what we went through the last months.

My partner and her mother are really supportive, and a cousin also came over for a week, but things have to happen quickly now (my dad will very probably need a 24/7 nurse for climbing stairs and taking care of household stuff/chores/errands).

In parallel, I've been working my job all along. I like it there, but my private life is f**king stressful at this point.

On top of all that, I tested positive for Covid this morning. Thought it's a seasonal cold or just overall tiredness, unfortunately not. My first time after all, I'm surprised it took me so long.

Spent the day in bed - minor headache, slightly raised temperature, clogged nose, sore throat and burning eyes... Still reading gear stuff and browsing the web all day long. Could be worse actually, but the truth is I should get stuff done, which is impossible feeling like this.

Arghhh.... 💩

Last edited:
Dang, @dronerstone . That's a lot. :(

Man, I feel for ya. All of that stress with your Mom and Dad, and their health, and then being sick
and testing positive for COVID. Ugh!! :brick

I hope you can find some comfort, and are over it quickly. I feel fortunate I am back on my feet,
my energy is up again, and I can smell and taste food properly once again. It sucks going through
all of this, but I hope there is some light on the other side of all of this upheaval in your life. :hugitout

Dang, @dronerstone . That's a lot. :(

Man, I feel for ya. All of that stress with your Mom and Dad, and their health, and then being sick
and testing positive for COVID. Ugh!! :brick

I hope you can find some comfort, and are over it quickly. I feel fortunate I am back on my feet,
my energy is up again, and I can smell and taste food properly once again. It sucks going through
all of this, but I hope there is some light on the other side of all of this upheaval in your life. :hugitout
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! 🙂

Yeah, it'll get better eventually, but sitting it out is getting tougher each week... luckily I've got a few close friends, awesome and empathic colleagues/bosses, and I've started therapy sessions two weeks ago.

I know myself well enough to say that I'm not wired to be of harm to others or myself, usually when the stress overwhelms me, I'll be sick in bed for a week. Hasn't happened in a long time, but I guess that's what going on right now...

Supposedly, my immune system was weak enough to open the door to Covid. Ack...

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! 🙂

Yeah, it'll get better eventually, but sitting it out is getting tougher each week... luckily I've got a few close friends, awesome and empathic colleagues/bosses, and I've started therapy sessions two weeks ago.

I know myself well enough to say that I'm not wired to be of harm to others or myself, usually when the stress overwhelms me, I'll be sick in bed for a week. Hasn't happened in a long time, but I guess that's what going on right now...

Supposedly, my immune system was weak enough to open the door to Covid. Ack...
Chin up is best you can do! Sorry to hear about your avalanche, but you got this!! Sounds like you have a pretty descent team around you as well!!!

Shit got me about 12 days ago, luckily(?) the worse part was the exhaustion (but that shit was real) - but I was able to commute to the basement and continued to try to work. My first time as well, at least that I know of.

Been feeling pretty good the last two days, wife of course had it, too - and she got a double ear and sinus infection, so she's still suffering through that.

Hope everyone heals up completely and quickly!

Sorry, I need to vent...

The last 4 months were horrible.

My mom (75) was in the hospital with a bacterial infection, on top of having chronic non-hodgkins lymphoma/leukemia for 15+ years. She got released, but things got worse at home, which is why she was admitted once more, and - rather quickly developing symptoms resembling severe dementia - died in her sleep a month later, on 10/30.

My dad (87) also has a handful of medical issues, two of which are type 2 diabetes and prostate cancer. He's not doing so well, after what we went through the last months.

My partner and her mother are really supportive, and a cousin also came over for a week, but things have to happen quickly now (my dad will very probably need a 24/7 nurse for climbing stairs and taking care of household stuff/chores/errands).

In parallel, I've been working my job all along. I like it there, but my private life is f**king stressful at this point.

On top of all that, I tested positive for Covid this morning. Thought it's a seasonal cold or just overall tiredness, unfortunately not. My first time after all, I'm surprised it took me so long.

Spent the day in bed - minor headache, slightly raised temperature, clogged nose, sore throat and burning eyes... Still reading gear stuff and browsing the web all day long. Could be worse actually, but the truth is I should get stuff done, which is impossible feeling like this.

Arghhh.... 💩
Sorry to hear about your Mom passing and your Dad's health... and of course your health as well. I know when my Dad passed it took me for a whirl, so you getting sick doesn't surprise me at all. Hang in there though. (y)
At least you can come here and laugh at all our nonsense and hopefully smile a bit. :hugitout

Shit got me about 12 days ago, luckily(?) the worse part was the exhaustion (but that shit was real) - but I was able to commute to the basement and continued to try to work. My first time as well, at least that I know of.

Been feeling pretty good the last two days, wife of course had it, too - and she got a double ear and sinus infection, so she's still suffering through that.

Bummer Dude! Power of the heal to you and the Mrs.!! I only had it once that I know of and that was Feb '22. Then again, hermit that I am, unless my girl brings it home, I am unlikely to meet such intruder ;~))

Dang... we passing it around virtually?? :wat

That sucks, Dave. Hope you are both back to something more fun like fending off Bears
here real soon. :beer

Sorry to hear about your situation @dronerstone.

Your mother's sudden onset of dementia like symptoms was likely due to COVID. Many elderly exhibit dementia like systems, until the COVID passes. My wife and her colleagues have seen it first hand even with patients in their mid-sixties - once the COVID symptoms are gone, they're mind functions normally again.

Being admitted to the hospital is always a mixed bag - if you want to get sick spend a few days in the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your situation @dronerstone.

Your mother's sudden onset of dementia like symptoms was likely due to COVID. Many elderly exhibit dementia like systems, until the COVID passes. My wife and her colleagues have seen it first hand even with patients in their mid-sixties - once the COVID symptoms are gone, they're mind functions normally again.

Being admitted to the hospital is always a mixed bag - if you want to get sick spend a few days in the hospital.
I know what you're saying, since it's a total "classic", old people being admitted, only to never get back home.

Regarding my mom and dementia/Covid, I'm 99.9% sure she didn't have Covid at all, as she had been tested quite regularly.

We're pretty convinced that either the bacterial infection spread to her brain, irritating its internal chemistry/balance, or there's been some underlying issues that she was able to compensate quite well, until she was weak and sick in bed, after knee surgery.

Anyhow, it'd need an autopsy to make sure, and since things can't be undone, I'd rather spare her (and us) the hassle.

I know what you're saying, since it's a total "classic", old people being admitted, only to never get back home.

Regarding my mom and dementia/Covid, I'm 99.9% sure she didn't have Covid at all, as she had been tested quite regularly.

We're pretty convinced that either the bacterial infection spread to her brain, irritating its internal chemistry/balance, or there's been some underlying issues that she was able to compensate quite well, until she was weak and sick in bed, after knee surgery.

Anyhow, it'd need an autopsy to make sure, and since things can't be undone, I'd rather spare her (and us) the hassle.
Hey man, just wanted to say I'm really sorry for everything you're going through. That is a lot. Don't be ashamed of feeling worn down or emotionally and physically exhausted from it -- that means you're a normal human. Hang in there and just take one day at a time. Eventually those waves crashing will get smaller.

Back