Covid rant

There's some bona fide research linking those deficient in Vitamin D and those who contract COVID
more easily. A majourity of people are deficient in Vitamin D. Being stuck inside, or living in a climate
without a lot of direct sunlight does not help.

I'd definitely look into some essential Supps like Vitamin D. Low Vitamin D can also lead to diminished
Testosterone levels, and low Test is correlated with increased incidencts of anxiety and depression.

Shit is cheap, too. Also easy to source.

Ughh... gotta get some stuff off my chest. Sorry if this is just self indulgent toss.

The last 3 years have been a bit kazooey for me. I suspect I had covid in April 2020, because I came down with this illness unlike anything I've ever had before. Struggling to breathe, the whole throat+nose stuffiness, high temperature. You know the drill. But I still worked throughout. I'm fortunate enough where I've basically been working from home since 2016 anyway, so I could sneak a few naps in here and there when I needed to, and I just plowed on. My wife had it too. Friends of ours delivered us groceries, and we didn't go out until the prescribed duration expired.

Now prior to this infection, I was relatively fit. I used to lift weights; not huge amounts, and not regularly enough to get proper bulky, but enough to work on my core muscles and to feel pretty good when I bent down to pick something up. I could run 5km quite easily, although 7-10km elluded me for the longest time; I only managed to get a handful of those in the preceeding 5 years. All in all, I was quite active and enjoyed making progress and because I could see progress, it kept me going.

Something I am starting to admit to myself - I have a problem with alcohol. I drink most evenings. This relates to my overall mental health issues, and I guess ultimately I am something of an alcoholic. I really want to stop or slow down/cut it down, but haven't been successful so far.

So... bit more backstory, sorry for how long this is going on.... I caught covid again and tested positive in November 2021. This time it properly hammered me. I was in bed for a week and a half. There weren't any breathing issues, but definite temperature/fever issues, throat, nose, etc. I'm pretty sure I went a bit mental around this time too, because I was a proper arsehole to a friend (who has since stopped talking to me) and I had this fog constantly.

Now I sit here, September 2023... and I've just tested positive again tonight, and I'm feeling really grumpy and sorry for myself.

And I'm thinking about the health weirdness I've had the last 3 years:

• Struggling to hit my PR's for weight training and running
  • Even walking around the corner to the local shops will sometimes have me out of breath.
  • I've been suffering with anxiety pretty badly the last 2 years; two ambulance call outs for suspected heart attacks, which turned out to be panic attacks. But at the time I truly thought I was going to die. My dad died of a random and powerful heart attack when he was 38, and I was there when it was happening, so this is a bit of a pain point for me.
  • Strange moments of dizziness, even when remaining still in bed.
  • Moments where my heart-rate will rise randomly for about an hour, and then return to normal.
  • I nap way more than I used to, and it is much harder for me to regulate my sleep.
  • I move much less, and exercise fatigues me. This has led to a weight increase. In Jan 2020, I was 91.2kg. In Oct 2021, I was 85.6kg. Today I am 100kg, square on the nose. I can walk 10,000 steps at a moderate pace, and afterwards I'm like... "fuck I need a nap!"
  • But I also drink alcohol way more than I used to. Tonight is my first night off in months. Genuinely. I feel like such a c*nt for letting it get to this point.
  • Another thing that started coming on over the last two years was I started to choke on food. I have a hiatal hernia and a schatzki ring, and my oesophagus was constricting. I lost a bit of weight because I just wasn't eating properly. I started to avoid food because I was scared of choking. I never normally drink Coke for example, but I started to drink it all the time just to basically force food down.
  • But then after I had an endoscopy to check for the usual stuff (cancer was mentioned, but thank fuck I didn't have it!) it just went away immediately!?! Like they prized the bloody thing open or something! Or they broke the ring? I don't know. Never been able to get any answers out of the doctors.
  • My mum was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2022 as well, so that was a huge source of anxiety as well.

Anyway... sorry that this is so random. I'm just venting my scattered thoughts as I sit here feeling sorry for myself that I have covid for the 3rd time.

I've just turned 39, and in many ways I still live like an idiot teenager even though I am married and have two kids. But also the responsibilities and stresses I have in my life are so much more overwhelming for me than say 10 years ago. I feel awful most days. Back pain, body issues because I'm overweight, anxiety, stress from my job... and I just wonder how much of this could be related to long covid? How much of it is the standard ageing process? I just have no idea at this point. There are too many factors at play, and I'll probably never know for sure. But all of this is making me feel like a proper hypocondriac.

I really miss how I felt when I was 25. That is such a trite twatty thing to say, but I don't know how else to describe it!
Sounds like you could have lasting problems from Covid like I do. It or the vax attacked my vestibular system and I have dizziness issues and tinnitus that is way worse than has ever been out of the blue. Brian fog, fatigue, short of breath. One day feel pretty good, the next like shit and want to nap. Bouts of depression too.

I’m eating healthy, take vitamins and trying to get enough sleep. Saw doctor after doctor about 2 years about and they scanned me from head to toe via MRI or CAT scan, bloodwork of all types, saw ENTs, neurologists, and pulmonologist and they just shrug their shoulders and say “something attacked your vestibular system”. No shit. “You think it could be Covid?” Doctor… “maybe”. “What can I do about it?” Doctor…. “Don’t know, we’ll try rehab.” Sent me to physical rehab with hopes my brain would adjust the mild vertigo. It got some over time better but still very much an issue in my life.

Modern medicine is awesome but it’s also sucks. A lot of the time they are just shooting in the dark and honestly I think medical testing needs a revamp.

Sorry to hear about your health and feel for ya. Hang in there man and push forward. All you can do.

Edit: read through more of the post. Yes stop the drinking if you can. If not get help. Best decision I ever did was cut that shit out of my life. A lot of people can do it never have it effect their life in any meaningful way. I’m not one of those people.

Last edited:
Sounds like you could have lasting problems from Covid like I do. It or the vax attacked my vestibular system and I have dizziness issues and tinnitus that is way worse than has ever been out of the blue. Brian fog, fatigue, short of breath. One day feel pretty good, the next like shit and want to nap. Bouts of depression too.

I’m eating healthy, take vitamins and trying to get enough sleep. Saw doctor after doctor about 2 years about and they scanned me from head to toe via MRI or CAT scan, bloodwork of all types, saw ENTs, neurologists, and pulmonologist and they just shrug their shoulders and say “something attacked your vestibular system”. No shit. “You think it could be Covid?” Doctor… “maybe”. “What can I do about it?” Doctor…. “Don’t know, we’ll try rehab.” Sent me to physical rehab with hopes my brain would adjust the mild vertigo. It got some over time better but still very much an issue in my life.

Modern medicine is awesome but it’s also sucks. A lot of the time they are just shooting in the dark and honestly I think medical testing needs a revamp.

Sorry to hear about your health and feel for ya. Hang in there man and push forward. All you can do.

Edit: read through more of the post. Yes stop the drinking if you can. If not get help. Best decision I ever did was cut that shit out of my life. A lot of people can do it never have it effect their life in any meaningful way. I’m not one of those people.
Mojo sent on all this. Health issues are tough to deal with when you are on the right track, let alone when you are kind of in the dark about the cause of problems.

Mojo sent on all this. Health issues are tough to deal with when you are on the right track, let alone when you are kind of in the dark about the cause of problems.
Yeah I think it’s worse when they don’t know what to tell you. In a way I’d almost rather know even if it was bad than not know and it be fine. Thanks for the well wishes and it’s probably played into some of my past snarky remarks around here. We are all work in progress and thanks for the patience when I’m like that.

I started having serious vertigo problems before Covid, so I feel you. They have since subsided, but I still get a hint of something every once in a while.

I went through the same things, MRI, different docs, physical therapy, very disheartening to NOT find a remedy.

Funny I should read this thread today, as just today, I looked at my recent bloodwork lab results, compared to around this time in 2019, when I was eating somewhat healthier, but most importantly, going to Orange Theory Fitness like 3 days a week, and it was depressing. My numbers aren’t bad now, but the normal areas (A1C, Triglycerides), are a little higher than you’d like them.

Back in 2019, they were all in the healthier “don’t even worry about it” scale.

I started having serious vertigo problems before Covid, so I feel you. They have since subsided, but I still get a hint of something every once in a while.

I went through the same things, MRI, different docs, physical therapy, very disheartening to NOT find a remedy.

Funny I should read this thread today, as just today, I looked at my recent bloodwork lab results, compared to around this time in 2019, when I was eating somewhat healthier, but most importantly, going to Orange Theory Fitness like 3 days a week, and it was depressing. My numbers aren’t bad now, but the normal areas (A1C, Triglycerides), are a little higher than you’d like them.

Back in 2019, they were all in the healthier “don’t even worry about it” scale.
Thanks for posting your experience. I feel for you to my man. Vertigo type stuff sucks big time.

Western medicine is tops for acute issues, like in my case ACL reconstruction. But if you're struggling with something chronic, you might be surprised at how good the woo-ier things like mediation, breath-work, grounding and even just spending time in nature can be.

I had x-rays, dexa scans and an MRI on my back while my doctor was trying to find a reason for my pain and stiffness but they found nothing. In the end, breath-work, practicing an incredibly slow-full range of motion, and learning to mentally find and release muscle tension is what cured me. I can comfortably plant the palms of my hands on the floor from a standing position now, but it took months of gentle progress and re-training how I think and move.

Otherwise I'd say get the following things sorted in this order: Sleep > Exercise > Diet. Good sleep makes everything else easier and unfortunately alcohol has a terrible degrading effect on REM sleep. As others have recommended, I say cut it out of your life completely. I can't help but notice in my own friend group those that have drank the most over the years were the first to go grey, get old, put on weight and generally just become unhealthy. It really does nothing for you.

Last edited:
Had avoided the Big C until this past week. I hope I can avoid any long-term, lingering
symptoms. I feel for anyone who has those.

One of the things that struck me (as a notorious overthinker given to rumination!) is
the places COVID put me mentally and emotionally. There was a delirium brought on
by lack of sleep. Yes, you can lay in bed sick for days and not sleep a wink. Toss, turn,
rinse, repeat. Try to drink and swallow some water. Shiver like a madman. But you
ain't sleeping motherfucker!!

I know I processed a lot of stuff that I have been carrying too long. I wonder if some
of that stuff becomes all the phlegm and crap you end up spitting up. Pleasant, eh? :LOL:

I am loathe to say it, but I think I needed this. I needed a bit of a rebirth. My life and
circumstances were becoming a bit too heavy and I was carrying too much stuff that
I have no control over. It's stupid to obsess about shit we can't control, but damn if
that doesn't stop a lot of us from obsessing about it. What other people think of us
being a big one. What other people think is never in our domain. People will people.

The other thing is a brush with COVID has me realizing how little time I have here. It's
time to start investing in how I spend my time, and investing more wisely. All of our
days are numbered, but it is easy to not see that on a daily basis.

Also, friends. Friends are HUGE. Friends are massive! I had so many people check on
me that I didn't know about, and a couple that I did. Man, I love my friends. I am super
blessed. Being a better friend is top of my list of things to do.

Once I get my legs back under me!! :LOL:

Had avoided the Big C until this past week. I hope I can avoid any long-term, lingering
symptoms. I feel for anyone who has those.

One of the things that struck me (as a notorious overthinker given to rumination!) is
the places COVID put me mentally and emotionally. There was a delirium brought on
by lack of sleep. Yes, you can lay in bed sick for days and not sleep a wink. Toss, turn,
rinse, repeat. Try to drink and swallow some water. Shiver like a madman. But you
ain't sleeping motherfucker!!

I know I processed a lot of stuff that I have been carrying too long. I wonder if some
of that stuff becomes all the phlegm and crap you end up spitting up. Pleasant, eh? :LOL:

I am loathe to say it, but I think I needed this. I needed a bit of a rebirth. My life and
circumstances were becoming a bit too heavy and I was carrying too much stuff that
I have no control over. It's stupid to obsess about shit we can't control, but damn if
that doesn't stop a lot of us from obsessing about it. What other people think of us
being a big one. What other people think is never in our domain. People will people.

The other thing is a brush with COVID has me realizing how little time I have here. It's
time to start investing in how I spend my time, and investing more wisely. All of our
days are numbered, but it is easy to not see that on a daily basis.

Also, friends. Friends are HUGE. Friends are massive! I had so many people check on
me that I didn't know about, and a couple that I did. Man, I love my friends. I am super
blessed. Being a better friend is top of my list of things to do.

Once I get my legs back under me!! :LOL:

I know this phrase is rather colloquial and hackneyed lately … But I still love it.

Be your authentic self bro.

Solid 10 days now for me and the wife. Both had it once very early on in 2020 before it was major news and then got the first two jabs. No flu shots or boosters or anything since - we're both in our 60s and it's kicking our asses hard so that's gonna change. One thing really crazy this time is how badly it's mucking up my hearing. I can't really hear a tea kettle whistle or microwave beep unless I'm close by and I've just given up trying to tune the guitar across the board. Not only is it all muffled like I got cotton in my ears but the intonation seems wonky too - is that possible?!?!

Solid 10 days now for me and the wife. Both had it once very early on in 2020 before it was major news and then got the first two jabs. No flu shots or boosters or anything since - we're both in our 60s and it's kicking our asses hard so that's gonna change. One thing really crazy this time is how badly it's mucking up my hearing. I can't really hear a tea kettle whistle or microwave beep unless I'm close by and I've just given up trying to tune the guitar across the board. Not only is it all muffled like I got cotton in my ears but the intonation seems wonky too - is that possible?!?!

My sinuses were fucked the last time I had it. For months after and I didn’t even realize until I was mixing something and realized I was cranking the right side’s volume to make up for the loss in my right ear. I bought an ear cleaning kit and went nuts on my ear for a couple days each morning in the shower and managed to unclog it, I’m assuming something crusty formed up there and wasn’t coming out on it’s own. For a couple days I could hear the water moving in my ear canal before finally unleashing the dam.

Good luck!

First time I have had it (that I know of). I couldn't imagine doing this all again.

What was weird for us the first time was it hadn't been making headlines yet so we both thought we were just having the worst flu of our lives. We'd both been getting better when it became 24/7 news. Second time is realizing just how exhausting the constant hacking is to your body. My ribs are literally sore from zero impact at all - just the insane coughing. Same with her.

What was weird for us the first time was it hadn't been making headlines yet so we both thought we were just having the worst flu of our lives. We'd both been getting better when it became 24/7 news. Second time is realizing just how exhausting the constant hacking is to your body. My ribs are literally sore from zero impact at all - just the insane coughing. Same with her.
Sorry to hear you and the wife are going through this! Do NOT discount the power of the mind when it comes to healing!! For most of my life, when I encounter a sickness (whether it is being inflicted or being exposed to, like encountering a person that I know is/seems to be sick), I set my mind into a repetitive cycle of chanting "you do not belong here, I am not your host, you must leave immediately" and things to that effect. Does it work, who knows, but it does not cost me a thing and the one time I did have covid (Feb 2022), it was gone within 12 hours. Whether that mental exercise had anything to do with it, I don't know, but if nothing else it puts my system in a place of being instructed to fight!!! Power to the heal ;~))

Back