Cork Soaking Sycophant Has New Guitar Day

@la szum Whaaaaaa.... And all along I'd thought that we'd be Jazzmaster buddies forever!

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

Oh man. Sorry. :hugitout

I am unrepentantly polyamourous----with food, amps, pedals, guitars, and beer! :LOL:

I am pulling that poop-tastic JB out of the Edwards. Played it into the Trem-O-Verb quite a bit
the past couple of days and it needs to go.

I think I was so smitten with the guitar that I could live with it as is. Nope.

Never liked the Duncan JB and still don't.

perfect loops smash GIF

Probably gonna go with something tamer in the 8-9k range.
That video is me smacking around JB haters! Fookin' blasphemer!

@la szum

I went through the usual monthly JM ritual last night.

I thought "well, I may as well get rid of the Jazzmaster because I mostly play the Cutlass which is way more versatile and easier to play".

So I go and get the Jazzmaster out of its case and of course it's perfectly in tune as it always is - maybe something to do with the higher string tension (and other factors not worth discussing).

I then start to play and it's like jumping onto the back of a bucking wild stallion with its thick baseball bat of a neck, big ass frets, greater string tension and massive body.

As usual, for an awkward minute or so, I think "this guitar is crazy"; but then after a while I start to enjoy the fight and also get used to it again. And then, once I've adjusted the 1 Meg volume pot to that exact fraction of a millimetre spot where the neck pickup isn't ear piercing or very dull... it suddenly sounds incredible, it has succumbed to my will and the room is filled with ridiculous amounts of vintage mojo.

And right there... again, as always; I'm not selling. The Jazzmaster is gently laid back into its case for another month and I sigh as I pull out the trem arm and close the lid. It's a strange messed up relationship for sure.

Last edited:
It's just a little mushy and ill-defined---especially as the gain goes up. :idk

Probably a great pickup in 1970-whatever when amps didn't have
4 or 5 stages of gain and only had 2 gain stages at most.

Oddly, I kind know I can get more tightness and better articulation with a
lower output hummy of some sort.

10-4, I was just joking around of course, do you know what you are replacing it with?

I've played 95% Mastodon stuff since I've gotten mine and it's worked really well for that - so with my limited experience I can't really speak for versatility, yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This was 100% my expectation of it after listening to clips and reading others who go for the tones I go for comment on it, which is why I knew right away I wanted to put EMG’s in it….well, that and the whole Zakk thing.

Same Same Same. As much as I like a lower output, vintage vibe pickup these days, the PRS HFS (for example), out-JB's the JB, to me. It has some snarl and aggressiveness to it, but remains clear, etc.

10-4, I was just joking around of course, do you know what you are replacing it with?

I've played 95% Mastodon stuff since I've gotten mine and it's worked really well for that - so with my limited experience I can't really speak for versatility, yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am clueless, to be honest. I loathe pickup swaps, because I have already done it too many times for
one hack's lifetime. :facepalm

It's one of the most tail-chasingest of tail-chasing tonal pursuits.

Zoomies Spinning GIF by Impact Dog Crates

I did pick up a set of Gold Gibson Les Paul Custom pickups on Reverb this past winter. Just in case.
Not sure those are the answer though. That 498T is still pretty hot. :idk

Love the '59 in the neck of an LP style guitar. And maybe today will be different and the JB will sound
and feel just right. Nah, that ain't happening. :LOL:

To be fair, I kind of can get on board with the JB if running into Marshall-style ciruits. It just
falls apart when it is paird with a Mesa-style circuit/amp/model, etc.

I believe @Warmart is a Kemper owner/user.
I bought my toaster Oct or Sep 2019, to replace a PodXT Live from one of my failed periods of trying to become a guitarist. Debated heavily between Fractal and Kemper and just basically flipped a coin, lol. It's served me well but it has its quirks. Was using 100% ToneX for about a month and now I'm back to preferring the Kemper. Good chance it's imprinted itself onto my ears and I wouldn't like anything else as much.

Back