Clean boost that can get gritty without a volume jump?

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
What's out there that can act as a clean boost but does have some grit on hand if you push it, without a volume jump? The VII is a bit pickier with boosts than the Badlander is. I just need to push the crunch channel a bit more as needed. The OCD is obviously not a clean boost and I do like it (even when dialed back) with the VII as well as the Mosky Silver Horsie but neither is quite "there". Obviously; everything is an excuse to buy something observation duly noted :rofl

I should add I was expecting to be impressed with the MXR Sugar Drive with the VII but it didn't do anything for me at all. Klon-y thing seems like what I should be looking at but not sold on that thought process :unsure:

I might just go full blown opposite direction and throw this mini Rat on the board for the next gig and just crank up the level and barely crack the gain
:rollsafe:guiness:satan

Hmm, I love the Amp50 for what you're describing. It does this certain something special without killing your tone. You'd have to find one used, but I'm sure variants exist, even within Lovepedal brand.

Hmm, I love the Amp50 for what you're describing. It does this certain something special without killing your tone. You'd have to find one used, but I'm sure variants exist, even within Lovepedal brand.
That is an old Lovepedal design, right? I'm kind of scared by the one knob design for this particular application. But it might also be a bit freeing as there isn't anything to really tweak on something like that 🤔

That is an old Lovepedal design, right? I'm kind of scared by the one knob design for this particular application. But it might also be a bit freeing as there isn't anything to really tweak on something like that 🤔
It's incredible in front of a clean amp too. Especially something like a Twin Reverb where you just need a bit of grit. And it does that without a honking boost. If you crank it full it will get into some kind of fuzz territory/broken tweed sound, which has its merits but not what I use it for. Into distortion it enhances the top and somewhat lower mid freq. Like any boost it can get mushy depending how much drive you already got going.

It's incredible in front of a clean amp too. Especially something like a Twin Reverb where you just need a bit of grit. And it does that without a honking boost. If you crank it full it will get into some kind of fuzz territory/broken tweed sound, which has its merits but not what I use it for. Into distortion it enhances the top and somewhat lower mid freq. Like any boost it can get mushy depending how much drive you already got going.
It sounds interesting! I like the fact that it can get gnarly but also just add a little bit "more" on top.

It sounds interesting! I like the fact that it can get gnarly but also just add a little bit "more" on top.
The only 'negative' I can think of is it does better near the front of your chain. It's more finicky after other drive pedals. I don't like it as an end of pedal board boost kinda thing. It's better as an early sweetener.

The only 'negative' I can think of is it does better near the front of your chain. It's more finicky after other drive pedals. I don't like it as an end of pedal board boost kinda thing. It's better as an early sweetener.
I have room for one pedal. So it would be the only thing up front.

DOD 250 is no slouch either.
Same goes for Voodoo Lab Giggity.
What's good about these is they have pre and post outputs. The Giggity is useful having extra tone options.

mesa_boogie_5_band_eq_main_1.jpg

Just sayin' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I should add I was expecting to be impressed with the MXR Sugar Drive with the VII but it didn't do anything for me at all. Klon-y thing seems like what I should be looking at but not sold on that thought process :unsure:

Klons are not meant to be used with barely any whisper of gain from the pedal. Worlds most expensively
absurd "clean boost/tone sweetener." It's nuts!

Klons are not meant to be used with barely any whisper of gain from the pedal. Worlds most expensively
absurd "clean boost/tone sweetener." It's nuts!
Do you have an Amp50 you want to do a tour box run on? :rollsafe :whistle :grin

Back