Cheap Excellent Guitar

GearMan333

I am on a huge budget I'm looking for a guitar that is under $200 that can play rock/hard rock/metal but is versatile also and has a good clean tone too and has good playability also what do you recommend people can you help me out I need some experienced people to give me a good answer help me out people give me some good info

Honestly I'm not sure you can get a guitar under $200 that plays well unless you know how to do some work on it or get extremely lucky with quality control. Best bet is to look for a lightly used Squier HSS or Epiphone SG. I'm assuming you're a newer player, so you may want to try shopping with someone who can play guitar and knows a bit about them and can help you figure out if the guitar is decent or not. A really good shop could help as well but at the $200 range they probably won't give you the time of day.

I am on a huge budget I'm looking for a guitar that is under $200 that can play rock/hard rock/metal but is versatile also and has a good clean tone too and has good playability also what do you recommend people can you help me out I need some experienced people to give me a good answer help me out people give me some good info

I was where you are a long time ago. You want to get a decent guitar to begin with. If it sucks, you won't ever play it. Mow/Weed a yard, wash someone's car, etc., and save up another hundred or two and you will be good to go with a Squire or Epi.

What guitars in particular are you familiar with or have owned? And do you have any experience with performing setups or fret work?

I bought a Harley Benton Dullahan just under $300 and it's a killer axe, even used it a little over my Strandberg on my new (first) EP. There's a couple of their Fusion series which come with jumbo stainless steel frets, Wilkenson bridge, and the same excellent Rosewell pickups that are in the Dullahan for just under $200. I think it's doubtful you'll find anything with specs close to what Harley Benton's offer under $500.

I bought a Harley Benton Dullahan just under $300 and it's a killer axe, even used it a little over my Strandberg on my new (first) EP. There's a couple of their Fusion series which come with jumbo stainless steel frets, Wilkenson bridge, and the same excellent Rosewell pickups that are in the Dullahan for just under $200. I think it's doubtful you'll find anything with specs close to what Harley Benton's offer under $500.
Yeah, I'd say you'd find it tough to beat what you get at HB's prices.

This is a real bug-bear of mine.

The early / classic / newer to be bettered early Fender and Gibson's - which people embarrassingly fawn over these days, were all guitars made to a price point, using the cheapest most available woods with the cheapest functional parts / hardware they could find ... that's it.

Now with all these great $500 <-> $1000 guitars .... reviewers still feel the need to say " its awesome for the price " .... its a redundant statement ... and only ever used by people who need to self-protect themselves from self inflicted b%tt-hurt for spending $3000 and some well assembled "wood and wire"

An electric guitar is either sh%t, good, great, excellent or fantastic.

Peoples cognitive dissonance between the reality of what an electric guitar is and does ..... as opposed to their personally curated wet-dream-fantasy of what an electric guitar is or does ... is immense.

Rant over :)

Ben

The trouble is the cheaper the guitar the better you need to be to assess it. There is no way that you can say buy xxxx because it will be great. If you gave me a budget and time I am pretty sure I could match your requirements . Also it would probably require you to be able to do minor work because it would blow your budget to pay a good tech. I often see cheap stuff that is fundamentally ok but it needs the finishing touches doing. At this price manufacturers get it right and by right I mean the wood cut and no core issues only about 1 in 10. The bad electronics and starter hardware is what it is so simple will probably be better. Same thing with cosmetics. Flame top veneers and binding is coming out of the budget for wood.

Last edited:
The trouble is the cheaper the guitar the better you need to be to assess it. There is no way that you can say buy xxxx because it will be great. If you gave me a budget and time I am pretty sure I could match your requirements . Also it would probably require you to be able to do minor work because it would blow your budget to pay a good tech. I often see cheap stuff that is fundamentally ok but it needs the finishing touches doing. At this price manufacturers get it right and by right I mean the wood cut and no core issues only about 1 in 10. The bad electronics and starter hardware is what it is so simple will probably be better. Same thing with cosmetics. Flame top veneers and binding is coming out of the budget for wood.

That’s it exactly, and that’s why the the old Mexican Fenders were good mod platforms. Outside the tremolo size they took aftermarket upgrades well and with a good setup and some fretwork, maybe a new nut, it was a great playing and sounding guitar.

However when they doubled the price the last five years and the quality seemed to get worse, that really bugged me. I don’t think I’ve picked up a Player series that didn’t have razor sharp fret edges and really bad setup since 2019.

It’s not a joke that the Squier CV guitars tend to play better in the store.

I just bought one of those Donner Tele's. I plan to heavily mod it though and use spare stuff I have laying around for upgrades. I want to see if I can turn it into a player. Solid poplar body, Canadian maple neck, and Pao Ferro fretboard. I will change out all of the electronics and upgrade the tuners. I have a GFS lipstick pup for the neck and a SD STHR-1 for the bridge and CTS pots. The switch I will probably leave but I will see for sure when I get there. Hopefully wont have to do too much to the frets because thats a weak spot for me. I guess it's a good guitar to use to get better at fretwork though.

$71.54 shipped direct from Donner.

This one might be of interest...

I kept overlooking these new Sonic Series Squiers because in this day and age for a retail Guitar to come in at the $199 price point, I figured they must have stepped down from the bullet somehow... but, I was happily proven wrong once I actually picked it up! I compared a couple of the
Sonics to the Affinity series at my local shop, and I was more impressed by the neck feel and finish on the Sonics.

I was able to snag a Dimarzio Tone Zone for $60 and to be honest it only made a minor tonal improvement to the guitar. I would check these out if you get a chance!

I kept overlooking these new Sonic Series Squiers because in this day and age for a retail Guitar to come in at the $199 price point, I figured they must have stepped down from the bullet somehow... but, I was happily proven wrong once I actually picked it up! I compared a couple of the
Sonics to the Affinity series at my local shop, and I was more impressed by the neck feel and finish on the Sonics.

I was able to snag a Dimarzio Tone Zone for $60 and to be honest it only made a minor tonal improvement to the guitar. I would check these out if you get a chance!

As with all cheaper guitars these vary quite a bit in QC. Factor in garbage hardware and a full rewire and you could have picked up something better. Great beginner guitar because a beginner can't realise the potential but that is ALL these are.

As with all cheaper guitars these vary quite a bit in QC. Factor in garbage hardware and a full rewire and you could have picked up something better. Great beginner guitar because a beginner can't realise the potential but that is ALL these are.
I would be curious what the real-world variance in QC on these Indonesian Squiers are. I was only limited to the five that were my local shop. All were pretty much identical necks with no sharp frets and seemingly well intonated. The one I got has perfectly level frets, I suspect the others were similar and maybe part of the same production run.

The hardware is much better than I remember from the bullet series. The tuners, at least in construction and feel, are on par with the stock (non-locking) tuners I have found on mid-range Schecters and those that came with my X series Jackson. Not sure how they might hold up over time. I tend to put locking tuners on all my guitars anyway for quick string changes. The rest of the guitar is too generic to really say much about the hardware. No apparent machine defects, and all moveable parts are well lubricated with no loose buzzing issues.

The biggest surprise to me, were the electronics. The pickup is just ok. 8.1k ceramic magnet. Sounds decent. But... the pots are Alpha Audio Taper pots, both of which measured just a hair over 500k, and the capacitor is the exact same polyester .22uaf one that was installed int he Fender Player Series I had for a while. I just went ahead and wire my Tone Zone pickup to the existing controls. I suspect other models positions switches are the import style, but those do vary in build quality. A good one of those I will take any day or the Vintage style.

Regardless of my anecdote or anything on paper, if you get it in your hands and it feels good, sounds good, and you can jam for 30 mins or so with no apparent issues (no really, spend at least 30 mins playing it at the store before you buy!), go for it.

Basic electrical components are garbage in this price point. No point in pretending anything else and wood selection is nonexistent. QC is everything up to quite a high price. You need to check it over totally. Hardware can look ok but usually isn’t. Backlash on the tuners and pot metal castings are all you are getting.

Back