CHASE BLISS LOSSY

looks really cool

like part of me wants to hate it but the sounds on demo right now are pretty fucking cool.

i love that they are pushing the envelope so far, these are def not the same run of the mill effects that have been done 100000000 of times.

Last edited:
looks really cool

like part of me wants to hate it but the sounds on demo right now are pretty fucking cool.

i love that they are pushing the envelope so far, these are def not the same run of the mill effects that have been done 100000000 of times.

Same, that is one reason why I love companies like chase bliss and meris etc... They seemed to innovate and not wanna do the same boring thing everyone else is doing.

Chase Bliss/Joel Corte and company seem like good dudes, but I’ve played pretty much every pedal they‘ve done, and I’ve yet to hear something I’d want to own. this is another pedal to make your guitar sound worse.

Chase Bliss/Joel Corte and company seem like good dudes, but I’ve played pretty much every pedal they‘ve done, and I’ve yet to hear something I’d want to own. this is another pedal to make your guitar sound worse.

I'm almost jumped on one a number of times. Care to elaborate?

I'm almost jumped on one a number of times. Care to expound a bit?
Just every pedal is…..meh. The Dark World I couldn’t sell fast enough. Just not even EHX territory in reverb quality. My buddy has a TON of their pedals, I’d say everything but the Mood, Blooper, and the two newer Lo-Fi pedals. Condor, Brothers, Warped Vinyl, and then whatever the phaser, flanger and tremolo pedals were called. They’re just all so overwhelmingly bland and unremarkable. Which, okay fine. Not everyone’s going to hear things and be wowed. But JFC, these pedals are $350-$400 a piece. I get that a lot of it is the crazy flexibility. And there’s no doubt the engineering is quite impressive. But all that flexibility doesn’t mean a ton, if you can’t find a sound you like.

I get that a lot of it is the crazy flexibility. And there’s no doubt the engineering is quite impressive. But all that flexibility doesn’t mean a ton, if you can’t find a sound you like.

Sounds like my review of the Walrus R1. Impressive looking and lots of good engineering but meh....

R1_1024x1024.jpg

I guess the further and further I go, the more jaded I get with “boutique”. Yes, they can sound amazing, and/or offer something unique and fun. But when it’s so expensive too, I want sound quality as well.

I guess the further and further I go, the more jaded I get with “boutique”. Yes, they can sound amazing, and/or offer something unique and fun. But when it’s so expensive too, I want sound quality as well.

Boutique for me was great for some things. Especially back in the day. Things like pedals without crappy tone sucking buffers, TS pedals without a mid hump, and access to usable versions of vintage pedals that were either impossible to find or had sketchy originals (like vintage Japanese fuzz pedals, Orange Squeezers, or Blues Drivers) - better quality components, more reliable, smaller enclosures.

But complex stuff like modern digital pedals have never been where they shine. At least not for me.

Boutique for me was great for some things. Especially back in the day. Things like pedals without crappy tone sucking buffers, TS pedals without a mid hump, and access to usable versions of vintage pedals that were either impossible to find or had sketchy originals (like vintage Japanese fuzz pedals, Orange Squeezers, or Blues Drivers) - better quality components, more reliable, smaller enclosures.

But complex stuff like modern digital pedals have never been where they shine. At least not for me.
Even a lot of the analog stuff. Walrus stuff is some seriously mediocre shit. My Julia v2 is off the board and for sale. It’s just so average. Just MHO though

Last edited:
A lot of chase bliss stuff and others like OBNE etc. feel more suited to recording scenarios where you may want to get something interesting or create a soundscape.
And they compete with plugins in a studio environment.
Feels like overkill for basic songs.

Still, kudos for something new and good luck with their sales.

A lot of chase bliss stuff and others like OBNE etc. feel more suited to recording scenarios where you may want to get something interesting or create a soundscape.
And they compete with plugins in a studio environment.
Feels like overkill for basic songs.

Still, kudos for something new and good luck with their sales.
Yeah, I could definitely see that. That’s why it’s cool companies like Strymon and Eventide are starting to elease their stuff as plugins (Or have been). That’s what this Lossy started out as, so maybe I shouldn’t be such a critical dick. :D

All this plugins -> pedals and pedals -> plugins thing is bridging the gap where you wrote a song that relies on one of those and then want to replicate it live without bringing a laptop on stage, or having to plug in the pedal in the studio.

On one hand I respect doing something different, but at the same time know that I won't buy any of it because I won't have a good use for it.

This exactly. Boutique, imho doesn't necessarily have to be expensive or limited to quantities that'll enable scalping...

Good examples of affordable boutique units, though all are drives of some kind - but the craftsmanship is top-notch:

Kuro Exegol (excellent Model T pre, 250€)
Acorn Solid State Preamp (180$)
Funny Little Boxes Skeleton Key (100£)

Back