CHASE TONE® FUZZ FELLA® 2.0 BLUE BC108C

Saw many positive thoughts on this so I just ordered one.

Anyone have/had one?

Thoughts on fuzz in general?
That's looks beautiful, and seems very usable, and all that at an affordable pricing!

I'd definitely wanna try the Chase Tone Roadster, if it weren't for the Twin Bender single-handedly having ended my search for the "perfect" fuzz. As a fan of the mkII sound, I don't think there's anything better or there, given the Twin Bender's tweakability.

When I bought it, prices were still good.

Nowadays, I'd be tempted to look at one of Kyle's - or the Drunk Beaver Taras Bulba (since that's from EU).

That's looks beautiful, and seems very usable, and all that at an affordable pricing!

I'd definitely wanna try the Chase Tone Roadster, if it weren't for the Twin Bender single-handedly having ended my search for the "perfect" fuzz. As a fan of the mkII sound, I don't think there's anything better or there, given the Twin Bender's tweakability.

When I bought it, prices were still good.

Nowadays, I'd be tempted to look at one of Kyle's - or the Drunk Beaver Taras Bulba (since that's from EU).
The Twin Bender looks nice. Does it have a more consistent fuzz? Less spitty?

I looking for something that retains great string separation.

I think the 2nd half of 2024 is going to be my fuzz period. I got my toes wet with the EJ Fuzz Face and then the Lovepedal stuff, I know what kind of rabbit hole it is so I’m avoiding it until I had the other gadgets I “need” first.

I think the Fulltone ‘70 I have has the 108’s in it, but I’m not nearly experienced enough with different transistors to really know the qualities of them, outside of being quite confident I love germanium.

What the heck is going on in this image?!?

1707339695572.png

I think the 2nd half of 2024 is going to be my fuzz period. I got my toes wet with the EJ Fuzz Face and then the Lovepedal stuff, I know what kind of rabbit hole it is so I’m avoiding it until I had the other gadgets I “need” first.

I think the Fulltone ‘70 I have has the 108’s in it, but I’m not nearly experienced enough with different transistors to really know the qualities of them, outside of being quite confident I love germanium.

Different types of Germanium transistors with roughly matching hfe and leakage can sound very different from each other in the same circuit but IMO most silicon with the same hfe all sound pretty much the same. As long as the circuit values and bias voltages match I don't really think the type of silicon really matters tbh.

Everything matters. Especially when few components are actually involved in a
circuit the variations in trannies ends up being super significant. To me. :idk

Factor in how a FF reacts to touch, pickup output, volume and tone changes on a
guitar and the trannies matter even more.

This is why I like a Bias control (either internal or external) and an Input Trim control
on a FF circuit.

Fun exploring a thousand shades of Fuzz and Cleanup just by varying your hands/fingers
touch and the volume on whatever guitar you are using. :chef

I had, and stupidly sold, an Analogman Sunface BC108 that was the best sounding
FF I have ever had. It was just stupid good for some reason.

I have had other BC108 Fuzzes that couldn't touch or replicate it, and were all congested
and bloaty... and just caved in on themselves.

I also have a few of the Dunlop Reissue Fuzzfaces with the fake NKT275 trannies in them
that are shockingly good.

Everything matters. Especially when few components are actually involved in a
circuit the variations in trannies ends up being super significant. To me. :idk

Factor in how a FF reacts to touch, pickup output, volume and tone changes on a
guitar and the trannies matter even more.

This is why I like a Bias control (either internal or external) and an Input Trim control
on a FF circuit.

Fun exploring a thousand shades of Fuzz and Cleanup just by varying your hands/fingers
touch and the volume on whatever guitar you are using. :chef

I agree with all of this but with silicon transistors I genuinely think it's just hfe that really makes a difference. With germanium the differences between Nkt275, oc81 and oc75 in the same circuit are quite large even if the hfe and leakage are similar. With silicon, however, I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between bc108 and bc183 when the hfe is the same in the same circuit. There are differences but they're really really small.

I had, and stupidly sold, an Analogman Sunface BC108 that was the best sounding
FF I have ever had. It was just stupid good for some reason.

I have had other BC108 Fuzzes that couldn't touch or replicate it, and were all congested
and bloaty... and just caved in on themselves.

I also have a few of the Dunlop Reissue Fuzzfaces with the fake NKT275 trannies in them
that are shockingly good.

I'm making some vanity fuzzes at the minute. I've gotten my hands on some really nice old transistors which sound great in my fuzz face tester board. I've got some custom made enclosures on the way and a load of other mojo parts. I don't think the big old parts sound any different but they really look cool.

The Twin Bender looks nice. Does it have a more consistent fuzz? Less spitty?

I looking for something that retains great string separation.
Sorry, took a while to reply...

The Twin Bender can be both spitty or consistent/straight, depending on where you set the bias and impedance knobs, which makes it a pretty versatile, and, when set right on the verge of gating, almost noiseless fuzz, with a distinct voice that's either in mkII or FF/mk1.5 territory.

Craftsmanship is top-notch (RIP Tim Krueger!) and the pedal seems very sturdy. Easy/soft-click (relay?) footswitch.

On top of that, it can be set to either "stock", mid-focused, or slightly bassier ("fat") tones, but there's no traditional tone knob.

All in all, I haven't encountered any fuzz that suits me better than that, but I'm a huge fan of the mkII sound, so it's definitely a matter of taste.

Sadly, after the passing of Tim Krueger, prices have gone insane. They're down a notch at this point, but still expensive. I bought mine right after I read of his passing, because I felt like doing the right thing, being one step ahead of the scalpers. My Twin Bender is seeing very frequent use, and 100% won't end up a babied closet classic, at all. Wear'n'tear, scuff marks, I don't care.

This shit is made to be played and heard. ❤️

Testing the Silver Jubilee and the Fuzz Fella. This is a Tonex capture of the setup.

The riffs are a product of spontaneity and hopefully will be understood as such :)

Back