Can you do a top 3 greatest/favorite movies of all time?

Aliens. It's just an awesome action/horror film. It still looks so good too.
Terminator 2. Perfect action movie really. I only recently found out that many fx that I thought were CGI were actually practical effects.
Shawshank Redemption. It's an odd combination of dark yet wholesome.

I think all 3 are close to perfect for what they were aiming for but picking just 3 is still hard.

Mine may waver from time to time, and are more like a Top 20 list that ebbs and flows. But, for the sake of this thread:

1. Star Wars (the original one)
2. Forrest Gump
3. Lord of the Rings (the trilogy, NOT the Hobbit... cause that was trash)

1. Godfather 3
2. Prometheus
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I really enjoyed Prometheus a lot and dug the premise so much I sought out sci-fi that was similar. Read and enjoyed Rendezvous with Rama but heard the rest of the series was not good so didn't pursue it.

I really enjoyed Prometheus a lot and dug the premise so much I sought out sci-fi that was similar. Read and enjoyed Rendezvous with Rama but heard the rest of the series was not good so didn't pursue it.

My response was tongue in cheek, but on the note of Prometheus that one I actually really really like that one. I've never understood why most Alien fans seem to be so opposed to it. Cool story on its own and certainly beats the crap out of Alien 3, resurrection, or the AVP films imo

My response was tongue in cheek, but on the note of Prometheus that one I actually really really like that one. I've never understood why most Alien fans seem to be so opposed to it. Cool story on its own and certainly beats the crap out of Alien 3, resurrection, or the AVP films imo
I was going to point out your choices were all unloved sequels :bag :rofl

I don't think I've seen any of the Alien movies outside of maybe the first one. I'm not a big horror/suspense fan. I just thought the philosophical side of the movie was clever, although the atmosphere was cool.

I really enjoyed the new Dune movie, curious to see how it plays out. I should read the books.

The problem with Prometheus is that it, like its unofficial sequel Alien Covenant, has people acting in ways that no real person in their profession would. Things like scientists taking their helmets off before figuring out if air is safe to breathe or biologist not staying away from alien lifeforms.

I think Alien 3 has its moments, but really suffers from being a development hell product. The wiki page is an interesting read on how many iterations of its script there were and a lot of them sound much better than what we got.

All the movies in the franchise that followed are deeply flawed, mostly due to bad writing. Prometheus would have been a better film as a stand-alone rather than being part of the Alien franchise. It answers questions that didn't need answering as mystery and fear of the unknown are big parts of what makes any horror character great.

AvP is a case of "don't let Paul W.S. Anderson write screenplays". If you look at his work, the only thing worth mentioning is Event Horizon which he just directed. Everything past that is pretty much a pile of crap.

Back