Can of tone worms: I must be bored…

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Bought a cheap, 2007 Epiphone SG yesterday and while plunking on it acoustically, noticed the pickguard/open pup cavity additional sound characteristics. Since I primarily play pickguardless solid bodies, it definitely stood out.

This morning I pulled the pickguard off and found 16 years of flotsam and jetsam under the guard, between it and the body of the guitar.

Here’s where it gets really (un) exciting!

1. Does having the pickguard not fully “seated” against the body change the tone?

2. If I clean it, polish it, and reinstall - assuming the polish will create a seal between the wood and pickguard, will that change the tone?

3. Is all this as meaningful as the parts per million of my enemies tears mixed into the molds of my Big Stubby picks?

4. Why are you still reading? Are you as bored as I am?

I mean, why else do they give us tails?
cat chasing GIF

Not really and if there is any perceived difference dirty will probably be worse.

Wonder if there’s a difference in tone if the detritus accumulated under the pickguard is solid, like dorito crumbs, versus viscous like old gummy bear residue?
Dorito crumbs will kill frequencies in the 4.2k range, for better or worse is up to you.

Finished the SG clean up last night and it definitely sounds a lot better - more definition, less mud, crisper. ToneCrumbs is a thing... maybe I should copyright that before some influencer makes millions off of it... :unsure:

And, before you ask, no it didn't have anything to do with changing the bridge pickup from a cheap, stock Epiphone to a cheap stock Ibanez Quantum I had sitting in a drawer. Stop being such a Debby Downer... sheesh. Pretty sure the Tonecrumbs killed the resistance on the Epi pup though as it came in at a whopping 4.93 while the QM was 12.64. Stupid Doritos.

Finished the SG clean up last night and it definitely sounds a lot better - more definition, less mud, crisper. ToneCrumbs is a thing... maybe I should copyright that before some influencer makes millions off of it... :unsure:

And, before you ask, no it didn't have anything to do with changing the bridge pickup from a cheap, stock Epiphone to a cheap stock Ibanez Quantum I had sitting in a drawer. Stop being such a Debby Downer... sheesh. Pretty sure the Tonecrumbs killed the resistance on the Epi pup though as it came in at a whopping 4.93 while the QM was 12.64. Stupid Doritos.
Glad you got it figured out. This is why I gave up on Doritos. Now it's all about the Pringles for that leaner, meaner and compacted toanz.

Glad you got it figured out. This is why I gave up on Doritos. Now it's all about the Pringles for that leaner, meaner and compacted toanz.
Hadn’t thought to try Pringles. I was just about to do the Funyun mod, but now ya got me thinking…

Back