Calibrating Input Level for Plugins

So my input gain needs to be at -13.1 dBFS using the Scarlett 2i2 with their plugs.
-13dBFS refers to what level a 1Vp AC sine wave corresponds to in their converters.

I think the -13.1 dBFS value is a real world measurement of a Focusrite interface done by NDSP.
You literally don't have to touch anything, but keep the gain at minimum.

I think the -13.1 dBFS value is a real world measurement of a Focusrite interface done by NDSP.
You literally don't have to touch anything, but keep the gain at minimum.

Where, the interface, plug input, amp sim, plug output, daw input? :wat :ROFLMAO:

Where, the interface, plug input, amp sim, plug output, daw input? :wat :ROFLMAO:
81BVXJTznNL.jpg

Switch the switch to INST and turn the Gain knob to minimum (all the way anti-clockwise).
In the plugin keep the input level at default.

What’s the point of the knob then? :rofl
It's also the microphone preamp gain (xlr).

For guitar plugins you keep it at minimum and calibrate in your DAW for the specific plugin you're using.
THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!

edit:
For NDSP plugins and Focusrite Scarlett interfaces you just turn the interface Gain down and you're good to go.

Define “calibrate in your DAW” now.

Adjust the input level in the plugin so the emulated amp model receives the correct level with your specific interface set at minimum.
For NDSP plugins and Focusrite Scarlett interfaces you just turn the interface Gain down and you're good to go, no need to touch anything in the plugin.

Adjust the input level in the plugin so the emulated amp model receives the correct level with your specific interface set at minimum.
For NDSP plugins and Focusrite Scarlett interfaces you just turn the interface Gain down and you're good to go, no need to touch anything in the plugin.
So with Native I believe it was shared earlier in the thread 0 at the Apollo Twin and Native boosted +1. So does that mean input level in Native is set to + 1 and not -18 to -24 that’s commonly referenced?

Last edited:
So if I’m using HX Somp as my interface do I need to boost anything for NDSP?
HX Stomp hits -12.3dBFS with 0.707v RMS at the input, you need to lower by -0.7dB to reach -13dBFS.
Or you can leave it as is, -0.7dB is nothing.

Gain at minimum at the Apollo Twin, and Native boosted +1.
So does that mean input level in Native is set to + 1
Correct.
Apollo Twin has 12dBu of headroom, Helix has 11.5dBu.
You need to boost by +0.5dB to match what Helix Native wants.
Or you can leave it as is, +0.5dB is nothing.

I did read through the whole thread, but the math hurts my head. Thanks all, for doing the hard work and documenting all of these details. I'm getting much better sounds out of my Amplitube Mesa amps now that I know I need to goose the input a lot. It's still guesswork with that plugin, but at least I can "earball" it somewhere where the Mark IV gain is more in the range I would expect - previously they were "ok" but now they are fun to play.

So using this knowledge, Scarlett input set to minimum, (bass plug-in input and output gain set to 0) looking at the waveform before and after, the one set “correctly” produces a flat line, whereas the one recorded the lowest led way (maxing input to just below red) has all the waves.

Is this normal? (Before on the right, new on the left)

IMG_4164.jpeg

So using this knowledge, Scarlett input set to minimum, (bass plug-in input and output gain set to 0) looking at the waveform before and after, the one set “correctly” produces a flat line, whereas the one recorded the lowest led way (maxing input to just below red) has all the waves.

Is this normal? (Before on the right, new on the left)

View attachment 9708
There should be an option in your DAW to zoom on the waveform - if you zoom in you'll see a similar 'shape' as on the right.

That's raw direct input waveform, with low output passive pickups like in a Fender Jazz Bass you will see a lower waveform.
What "bass plug-in"?

There should be an option in your DAW to zoom on the waveform - if you zoom in you'll see a similar 'shape' as on the right.

Even zooming in I don’t see much of a waveform.

That's raw direct input waveform, with low output passive pickups like in a Fender Jazz Bass you will see a lower waveform.
What "bass plug-in"?

Darkglass. (Using a P-Bass)

Back