Buy nice, or buy twice…

This thread may save me money, haha.

A few months back I had to take stock in what I had, what my end goals were, and how much I was invested.

I realized that the EBMM Cutlass RS HSS that I had was super nice, but more guitar than I need. I bought for $1900; sold for $1800 a few years later. Ended up netting like $1500ish.

I picked up a used 1991 Yamaha Pacifica 912 (OG) and have enjoyed it; quite frankly I don’t notice much of a difference between the feel of the Cutlass and the feel of the Pacifica. These early Pacifica’s were really nice for what they are / were.

That doesn’t stop me from stalking PRS Custom 24 Core models for $3k on Reverb, though. I feel like with a $600 “vintage” Pacifica I’m missing out on something, but maybe I’m not.

Nightmare haha

Not guitar related but I have a fetish where I re-learn this universal truth the hard way over and over again.

I have a history with it too, this thread was my attempt to prevent repeating that mistake. So far, it worked.

I didn’t even realize it was a mistake until I started watching my buying habits versus my brothers. He’d get into a hobby and buy in on the high end of the gear. I’d get into a hobby and get something more economical. Then I’d end up buying something nice later. As long as the gear reasonably holds its resell value, his approach always worked out better in the long run. Now I try to do what he would do lol.

D

I have a history with it too, this thread was my attempt to prevent repeating that mistake. So far, it worked.

I didn’t even realize it was a mistake until I started watching my buying habits versus my brothers. He’d get into a hobby and buy in on the high end of the gear. I’d get into a hobby and get something more economical. Then I’d end up buying something nice later. As long as the gear reasonably holds its resell value, his approach always worked out better in the long run. Now I try to do what he would do lol.

D
It's funny you mention this.

My brother is a single guy with all the time, money, and energy in the world and he tends to gravitate towards production stuff, usually mid-grade / normal guitars and reissue amps (DRRI, AC10, etc.) Very minimal pedalboards.

Myself, on the other hand, have always gravitated towards the higher end stuff (i.e. Boogie, Music Man, etc.) and love the finer things when it comes to pedals, amps, and guitars and he is constantly on me about that mentality, haha.

To the point of the original post, the thing that stops me from buying cheaper versions of nice items is trying them out. For example, I’d love to own a Majesty 7 string, but I’m not paying $3-5k for a guitar. The GC near my house has a bunch of the Sterling versions though. Playing them, I’m not impressed. The paint jobs are matte and boring, the frets are not shaved off correctly, and the guitar just feels cheap. No $1200 guitar should feel cheap IMO.

To the point of the original post, the thing that stops me from buying cheaper versions of nice items is trying them out. For example, I’d love to own a Majesty 7 string, but I’m not paying $3-5k for a guitar. The GC near my house has a bunch of the Sterling versions though. Playing them, I’m not impressed. The paint jobs are matte and boring, the frets are not shaved off correctly, and the guitar just feels cheap. No $1200 guitar should feel cheap IMO.
If you take all the margin away from the manufacture, retail, distributor and ship it half way around the world that $1200 ends up looking like $250 to actually make the guitar. Don't expect $1200 to get very much new guitar these days.

If you take all the margin away from the manufacture, retail, distributor and ship it half way around the world that $1200 ends up looking like $250 to actually make the guitar. Don't expect $1200 to get very much new guitar these days.
Maybe, but some manufacturers are making it work. About 2 years ago I bought an amazing guitar around this price point, the ESP LTD M1000 Deluxe. It’s really good. Really good! I just checked online and it’s still at a similar price point now, around the same as the Sterling Majesty guitars.

I remember when a top of the line "mid range" guitar was $500. And I'm not that old lol.

These imports clocking in at over $1k definitely irks me a bit. Not to say there aren't great import guitars. But I think even if I dethatched myself from my personal gear snobbery I feel like I'd still be thinking "meh I'll just buy american" once eclipsing that $1k mark.

@spawnofthesith I personally prefer Japanese guitars.

Japanese guitars are great. I don't think of them in the same sense as other imports, and view them as on par as USA stuff.

Dearly miss my limited run Horizon :(

919060_10201857837026693_660154491_o.jpg

I had my dream guitar— a Vigier Shawn Lane Excalibur. Almost perfect, except that the way it was designed, the high E gets pushed off the fretboard with the slightest touch, because it’s too close to the edge of the fretboard— ALL Excaliburs are this way.

Anyhow, I sold it.

With regard to just buying your “dream guitar”—

I discovered a company called Shijie, that hand builds guitars which many have compared as EQUAL quality to Suhr and Tom Anderson.

They are built in China I believe by an incredibly experienced Luthier.

They have gotten NO negative reviews, so that’s exciting.

And the high end ones only cost $1300 with tax!!!

So, I ordered one.

I’ll report back when I get it if it really IS as good as the top boutique builders.

Fingers crossed!

For people wanting a dream guitar, this might be an option for you!

:)

This thread may save me money, haha.

A few months back I had to take stock in what I had, what my end goals were, and how much I was invested.

I realized that the EBMM Cutlass RS HSS that I had was super nice, but more guitar than I need. I bought for $1900; sold for $1800 a few years later. Ended up netting like $1500ish.

I picked up a used 1991 Yamaha Pacifica 912 (OG) and have enjoyed it; quite frankly I don’t notice much of a difference between the feel of the Cutlass and the feel of the Pacifica. These early Pacifica’s were really nice for what they are / were.

That doesn’t stop me from stalking PRS Custom 24 Core models for $3k on Reverb, though. I feel like with a $600 “vintage” Pacifica I’m missing out on something, but maybe I’m not.

Nightmare haha
Tell me how I can buy a $1900 guitar and sell it later for $100 less and somehow come out $1500 ahead!

That’s magic I need!

Must be that “new math” I’m hearing about.

I had my dream guitar— a Vigier Shawn Lane Excalibur. Almost perfect, except that the way it was designed, the high E gets pushed off the fretboard with the slightest touch, because it’s too close to the edge of the fretboard— ALL Excaliburs are this way.

Anyhow, I sold it.

With regard to just buying your “dream guitar”—

I discovered a company called Shijie, that hand builds guitars which many have compared as EQUAL quality to Suhr and Tom Anderson.

They are built in China I believe by an incredibly experienced Luthier.

They have gotten NO negative reviews, so that’s exciting.

And the high end ones only cost $1300 with tax!!!

So, I ordered one.

I’ll report back when I get it if it really IS as good as the top boutique builders.

Fingers crossed!

For people wanting a dream guitar, this might be an option for you!

Not sure what you’re talking about with Vigier.
I have an Excalibur and no issues with the high E.
17058DA9-2AEB-49F3-A1E6-C383CABCC82A.jpeg

Exactly the same distance from the edge of the fingerboard as a Suhr Modern;
20A2AE1B-E03F-4D2D-B9BF-A4D9747C559C.jpeg

Good luck with the Shijie the ones I have set up were no Anderson, more like a Sire.

Wanted/needed a new SSH stratstyle guitar. Lusting for a Suhr since ages - but had to accept that I will likely never be able to afford it. Even the used ones usually go at horrible prices, let alone they're close to impossible to find next to my hometown.
So I just bought the indonesian version of a Schecter Nick Johnston 2nd hand. Unfortunately, the stock SCs are pretty bad, but as I wanted noiseless, I slapped 2 Fender Noiseless in that I had around anyway. Also didn't like the vibrato much enough (it's not bad, but I'm a sucker for vibrato systems), so I replaced it with a Gotoh 510, which is pretty nice.
Overall cost of all this was still considerably less than €1000 - and that guitar has managed to become my #1 pretty quickly (with a Tom Anderson next to it likely being quite envious...). So, is this guitar as great as a Suhr Classic S? No way. But am I missing much? No. What I'd really like is some real SCs, but I can't deal with the noise - might have a look into that Ilitch system one day.
Yeah, there might be some hidden costs, too. Because as much as I play this guitar, it will need 1-2 fret levelings rather quickly and then a refret job. Something likely not required with a Suhr as they're all featuring stainless steel frets.

Tell me how I can buy a $1900 guitar and sell it later for $100 less and somehow come out $1500 ahead!

That’s magic I need!

Must be that “new math” I’m hearing about.
You’re right.

What I meant to say is that I ended up essentially breaking even.

I paid $1900, received $1800 but had to ship it so I ended up losing $300 or so.

Not sure what you’re talking about with Vigier.
I have an Excalibur and no issues with the high E.
View attachment 5835
Exactly the same distance from the edge of the fingerboard as a Suhr Modern;
View attachment 5836
Good luck with the Shijie the ones I have set up were no Anderson, more like a Sire.

The frets above the 12th were WAY overbeveled.

Three of my friends had the same problem.

But take note: this is ONLY a problem for playing certain things— sweeping/arpeggios on the higher frets.

Given that my style and my friends is that of economy picking/sweeping in the neoclassical genre, it was hugely problematic.

But for anyone else, probably a non-issue.

With regard to the Shijie being akin to a “Sire,” I don’t know what that brand is.

I was just relating what I have heard from buyers.

I myself have owned and played many boutique guitars. The most impeccable was a Soloway Swan.

Amazing! However, I couldn’t get used to the 27” scale length and sold it.

I hope the Shijie is nice, but I’ll be happy to report back if it’s a piece of junk.

Happy to report the Shijie arrived today, and it’s amazing!

Full review with pics tomorrow.

It’s definitely NOT a Sire, and on par with any boutiques. I’m guessing the ones Eagle has worked on weren’t the “high end” Shijie models.

Or, perhaps I just got lucky?

Anyhow, a great new guitar day!

Being autistic, I’m not sure if the laughing emoji was because I was claiming my new guitar was of boutique quality or because I used the phrase “high quality” with regard to Shijie?

Anyhow, no idea.

But, I’ll just take the laughing emoji to mean “I liked your post.”

Have a good night!

Being autistic, I’m not sure if the laughing emoji was because I was claiming my new guitar was of boutique quality or because I used the phrase “high quality” with regard to Shijie?

Anyhow, no idea.

But, I’ll just take the laughing emoji to mean “I liked your post.”

Have a good night!
I was laughing because you didn’t seem sure whether you were lucky or not. And yes I liked your post.

Back