Buy nice, or buy twice…

dk_ace

Roadie
So the advice I usually give is to buy the guitar you really want. If that means you can only have 1-3 guitars instead of 5-10, so be it because it’s better to have a few that you really love than a whole bunch of guitars that you aren’t 100% satisfied with.

Sounds like good advice. I believe it.

And then…. I see affordable versions of guitars I haven’t pulled the trigger on yet and get tempted to completely ignore that advice and buy the knock off. I know I won’t really be 100% happy with it and will eventually wish I had bought the real thing. Probably will actually buy that real thing eventually, so the knock off is a mistake. I know that, but I’m still sitting here trying to talk myself out of the knockoff….

Anyone found a trick to stay strong and only buy the thing you really want or nothing at all?

I’ve wanted a DGT for years, not because I’m a Grissom fan but because that guitar would be about perfect for me spec wise. I’ve had a McCarty for years that I love. My only regret is that it doesn’t have a trem, and I really love a trem. And I really like metallic finish prs double cuts. The DGT SE is coming out. The wood carve is not the same, and that’s gonna bug me. The hardware probably won’t be quite as refined. Are those two things worth roughly $3000 to me? This is really vane, but that wood carve will always make me regret it I think. I know it’s not really worth the price difference, but I also know that I won’t be 100% happy with the SE.

D

I suppose I’m fortunate in that I found much more affordable alternatives to some guitars that would otherwise be quite expensive, or more than my $1500 limit on guitars allows for.

I wanted a Gilmour Red Strat, AVRI’s were all $2K+, never mind a legit Fullterton AVRI ($5K+!) so I built one myself with Musikraft/MJT for $1000.

Wanted an EJ-ish Strat, found a partscaster that was close enough for me for $950

Wanted a LP Custom, got an Edwards, wanted a nice LP Standard, got an Orville.

There’s a ton of Ibanez JEMs I’d love to own, I’ll probably never not be enamored with that guitar line, but at this point it’s cheaper to buy a 90’s RG570 and mod it into a JEM. Hell, it’s cheaper to buy the power tools, f*ck up a few bodies trying it before getting it right AND the time spent doing so, than it is buying a legit 90’s JEM now.

I say buy what you really want, but be reasonable about it. I'd probably pick the DGT SE and give it a try, return it if it doesn't do it for you.

I was considering buying a Gretsch hollowbody for like 6 months. I was quite settled on a pretty green 5420, as I had tried one in a store, liked it but at the time didn't feel like buying it for what my local store asked for it. Also considered going all in on a nicer Gretsch model.

The guitar I ended up with is a Schecter Coupe. I saw one at a local store sold as a demo model for a good price, tried it, bought it, love it. Can't find anything to complain about it either.

I’m getting old … few more trips around sol; fortunately I can make the choice atm so I’ve gone all custom - cry once route.

Don’t care about resale.

nice GIF

There are plenty of mid priced guitars that are great instruments in themselves now but If I craved something really high priced it would be that or nothing. That said it depends of why it was high priced. A Colings i35 has no budget option and nothing else is similar in what matters but a vintage strat? I will make one and be happier with mine.

So my experience with this is that I bought an LP copy (Agile). It’s a fantastic guitar and it sounds like a LP, but I still know that it isn’t (headstock) and it in no way satiated my desire for a great LP. That’s what I think would happen with the DGT SE, it will be a waste because I will still want the real thing.

For some reason I don’t get hung up on this stuff with all guitars. For example, I’ve got a killer tele that’s really a squier. It sounds and plays fantastic, so I refinished the neck and put a fender decal on so no one will know the difference. I have no desire to get a “nice” tele now and that has stayed true for years. I guess for me it’s largely about the aesthetics, which is why I know the DGT SE won’t really scratch the itch for me - it doesn’t look the same.

D

There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns, and that can vary by a player's budget. Personally, I've never owned a guitar over $1000 in 37 years of playing (of course, back when I started a $7-800 is probably a $2000 guitar today). I always say to myself that I'm going to splurge and get dream guitar at age X, but I get to that age and what was my dream guitar isn't anymore and I just don't feel the need to spend up. That said, I've been moving further and further towards more ergonomic instruments the last 3-4 years, and feel like I may finally pull the trigger as that's an area where there aren't many budget equivalents.

So my experience with this is that I bought an LP copy (Agile). It’s a fantastic guitar and it sounds like a LP, but I still know that it isn’t (headstock) and it in no way satiated my desire for a great LP. That’s what I think would happen with the DGT SE, it will be a waste because I will still want the real thing.

For some reason I don’t get hung up on this stuff with all guitars. For example, I’ve got a killer tele that’s really a squier. It sounds and plays fantastic, so I refinished the neck and put a fender decal on so no one will know the difference. I have no desire to get a “nice” tele now and that has stayed true for years. I guess for me it’s largely about the aesthetics, which is why I know the DGT SE won’t really scratch the itch for me - it doesn’t look the same.

D
I built these with my fingerboard specks
57110 stainless and 16” radius;
56E8C660-2FFB-4EE9-B18C-BED1575567B7.jpeg

I really love PRS Core stuff, but as expensive as they've gotten, I just can't justify to myself what they cost, even at my discounted price. I personally am not a shredder, I don't play any better with a Core than I do on an SE or S2. I don't play any better on a $4000 Suhr Strat clone than I do on a Warmoth of equivalent spec, at less than half the price (including tech build). So, I don't fault people for buying what they want, obviously. But the super expensive stuff isn't for me.

I built these with my fingerboard specks
57110 stainless and 16” radius;
View attachment 5297

We’re on the same wavelength, that squier I referenced is a blackguard too…

For some reason I’m more lax on this stuff with bolt necks. As long as it’s inspiring and looks the part, it’s fine. Those are sharp.

D

I really love PRS Core stuff, but as expensive as they've gotten, I just can't justify to myself what they cost, even at my discounted price. I personally am not a shredder, I don't play any better with a Core than I do on an SE or S2. I don't play any better on a $4000 Suhr Strat clone than I do on a Warmoth of equivalent spec, at less than half the price (including tech build). So, I don't fault people for buying what they want, obviously. But the super expensive stuff isn't for me.

My core guitar was bought before they were called core guitars lol, and it cost half what that same model costs today…

This has nothing to do with how they play. I have zero doubts that I could get an SE to play 95-100% as well as the core guitar. The only thing that may come short is due to potential small compromises in the bridge and tuner hardware. All the SEs I’ve played were good guitars.

This is almost entirely about looks. What a guitar looks like on stage has become about as important to me as how it sounds and plays. I only want guitars that look awesome. The SEs fall short of the core models on this point, which is why I will still want the core DGT goldtop.

D

My core guitar was bought before they were called core guitars lol, and it cost half what that same model costs today…

This has nothing to do with how they play. I have zero doubts that I could get an SE to play 95-100% as well as the core guitar. The only thing that may come short is due to potential small compromises in the bridge and tuner hardware. All the SEs I’ve played were good guitars.

This is almost entirely about looks. What a guitar looks like on stage has become about as important to me as how it sounds and plays. I only want guitars that look awesome. The SEs fall short of the core models on this point, which is why I will still want the core DGT goldtop.

D
There's totally nothing wrong with that either. It's important to like how the guitar looks, for sure. In that regard, I actually like how the SE's look more than the S2's. I don't really care for that sharp bevel they all have.

So the advice I usually give is to buy the guitar you really want. If that means you can only have 1-3 guitars instead of 5-10, so be it because it’s better to have a few that you really love than a whole bunch of guitars that you aren’t 100% satisfied with.

And then…. I see affordable versions of guitars I haven’t pulled the trigger on yet and get tempted to completely ignore that advice and buy the knock off. I know I won’t really be 100% happy with it and will eventually wish I had bought the real thing. Probably will actually buy that real thing eventually, so the knock off is a mistake. I know that, but I’m still sitting here trying to talk myself out of the knockoff….

Anyone found a trick to stay strong and only buy the thing you really want or nothing at all?

I’ve wanted a DGT for years, not because I’m a Grissom fan but because that guitar would be about perfect for me spec wise. I’ve had a McCarty for years that I love. My only regret is that it doesn’t have a trem, and I really love a trem. And I really like metallic finish prs double cuts. The DGT SE is coming out. The wood carve is not the same, and that’s gonna bug me. The hardware probably won’t be quite as refined. Are those two things worth roughly $3000 to me? This is really vane, but that wood carve will always make me regret it I think. I know it’s not really worth the price difference, but I also know that I won’t be 100% happy with the SE.

D

You have to be honest with yourself and ask this question: are you looking for a quality instrument with a certain feature set, or are you looking for a specific high end guitar?

I haven't played a DGT SE but knowing PRS and the SE line, I'm sure it's an excellent guitar for the money. I think you could likely buy one and take it to a gig that night with no issues. You could likely have that guitar for years and years and not really have to worry about it.

But it's not a Core model, and if you want specifically the Core DGT, that's what will make you happy.

The counter to that argument would be this: is the hit you would take on selling the guitar going to be worth more than the value it provides?

For example, let's say you only have a Strat and a Tele, and you really need a humbucker guitar. Or it sounds like you have a Core McCarty and maybe you either want a backup guitar for gigging or a cheaper one to take to questionable gigs.

You could probably buy the DGT SE for $900 new and sell it for $500 used in a year or two. Is it worth $500 to use that guitar until you no longer need or want it?

You have to be honest with yourself and ask this question: are you looking for a quality instrument with a certain feature set, or are you looking for a specific high end guitar?

I haven't played a DGT SE but knowing PRS and the SE line, I'm sure it's an excellent guitar for the money. I think you could likely buy one and take it to a gig that night with no issues. You could likely have that guitar for years and years and not really have to worry about it.

But it's not a Core model, and if you want specifically the Core DGT, that's what will make you happy.

The counter to that argument would be this: is the hit you would take on selling the guitar going to be worth more than the value it provides?

For example, let's say you only have a Strat and a Tele, and you really need a humbucker guitar. Or it sounds like you have a Core McCarty and maybe you either want a backup guitar for gigging or a cheaper one to take to questionable gigs.

You could probably buy the DGT SE for $900 new and sell it for $500 used in a year or two. Is it worth $500 to use that guitar until you no longer need or want it?

Let’s clarify something here: I don’t sell guitars, so I don’t take a hit lol. I haven’t moved a guitar out in years. The Agile LP is the only thing I currently have that I would part with (and it’s worth so little that I might as well keep it…).

As far as guitars as tools to do jobs for gigs, I could make just about anything work and already have great guitars. This isn’t about that. The niche this fills is a humbucker trem guitar that isn’t a Gretsch with a bigsby. But it’s not like I can’t get everything done with the guitars I have.

This whole conversation has been enlightening. It’s becoming more clear that I should hold off for the core model and get what I really want, or don’t buy anything at all.

D

D
It’s all about money. But you rarely regret the original yes. But sometimes … thinking of my epiphone sg iommi that is good … I wanted an sg one day because I never owned one but didn’t wanted to spend that much and .

I buy a guitar within my max cap taxes included ($1,500.00 CDN) and based on what i need, so far very happy with my 4 guitars maybe 1 left to complete my needs/wants, a T style guitar in the future

One problem is I have got used to finding the guitars I want at a price I am ok with but now everything has gone stupid. I paid £1250 for my Suhr modem,£950 for my PRS CU22 , £1000 for my Vigier Excalibur and now people want £1000 for a standard strat. Most guitars that are sub £2k now are of zero interest to me.

Just is what it is man. I’ve done the other thing; bought a copy or lower priced item and realized that I always end up buying the real deal, just saves me money to buy the OG in the beginning.

Plus after I buy the real thing I legit never play the copy anymore, so it always gets sold at a loss.

Save your $ and buy what you want.

Back