But dude it's not the same..so what?

Right. Top dollar? Nah. But if the end result and song execution is there, I'd pay 40 bucks to see it live.
5B65A964-816B-4B51-9DD8-BE4A44023128.gif

Related to this topic: I am a massive, lifelong ZZ Top fan, but I have no interest in seeing them without Dusty Hill. Part of that is probably because of how boring the show has gotten, but it's mostly because I don't want to see them with some other guy on bass. I totally get why they still want to play and tour, but I have no interest in it.

Related to this topic: I am a massive, lifelong ZZ Top fan, but I have no interest in seeing them without Dusty Hill. Part of that is probably because of how boring the show has gotten, but it's mostly because I don't want to see them with some other guy on bass. I totally get why they still want to play and tour, but I have no interest in it.
Do you have some overalls and don't mind glue on your face? If so; do I have a job for you!

Most of the time I don’t think it matters if people change out, but there are exceptions where one person is such a big part of it and so unique that there’s no way to replace them IMO. You just start something new then.

I don’t know why this is the only example I can think of right now, but Rage Against the Machine comes to mind. Killer band IMO with or without Zack de la Rocha, but without him it’s always going to be something completely different. I don’t think you can replace Morello or de la Rocha and still have Rage Against the Machine.

I loved Audioslave and some of their other side projects, and I’m glad they always made them stand on their own instead of trying to pan any of them off as the new Rage.

D

I believe that for some bands replacing some key members should lead to a change of name. It's a matter of respect, somehow.

I can't imagine Metallica without Hetfield calling themself Metallica, Foo Fighters without Dave Grohl, Gov't Mule without Haynes, Rush without any of the members.

Pink Floyd kept going without Waters but never been really PF anymore. Just a super expensive cover band that put out a couple of decent records.

Like pigs, some members are more important than others.

Last edited:
Yeah there are some guys that I don’t think can be replaced and call it the same band.

Dime and Vinnie come to mind from Pantera; those guys grew up playing together and each was an inimical sound to the other in the context of that band. You couldn’t put another drummer/guitarist in there and have it sound the same.

Rush was mentioned above and so was VH; I feel the same about those bands.

Can people COVER this stuff? Sure, but there’s no way to write new music and have it be THAT band without those players.

Back