Bought my first hollow body

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Never had one, never played on one other than my A/E. Not sure if I'd like it so I bought a cheapy that has good reviews. I have a spare set of 3x3 Grovers in case the tuners suck. Hopefully the right size. They came off my Les Paul so I am thinking they should fit. Couple hundred bucks through Amazon. I figure if I hate it, I'll send it back but if it's playable and isn't massively damaged I'll keep it.

1677907521430.png

I have a Grote LPC that I picked up there to try for shits and giggles. The guitar came with absolutely perfect rolled stainless steel frets. There were some manufacturing swirls in the finish but it’s not noticeable unless you are looking at incredibly close. The pickups and hardware sucked. I replaced the everything with a set of Epiphone Pro Buckers and their quick wiring harness. I replaced the tuners with a set of Hipshot locking tuners, and also replaced the bridge with a Gotoh. The guitar plays really good after I set it up and replaced the hardware. Has an interesting sound (different) than my other LP style guitars and I think it’s due to whatever the Ebony like material is made of. It’s not bad, just different if that makes sense. All in all it’s turned into a great daily grinder with the stainless frets. After about another $150.00, the guitar is far more enjoyable. Let me know if you would like info on where I sourced the parts.

I have a Grote LPC that I picked up there to try for s***s and giggles. The guitar came with absolutely perfect rolled stainless steel frets. There were some manufacturing swirls in the finish but it’s not noticeable unless you are looking at incredibly close. The pickups and hardware sucked. I replaced the everything with a set of Epiphone Pro Buckers and their quick wiring harness. I replaced the tuners with a set of Hipshot locking tuners, and also replaced the bridge with a Gotoh. The guitar plays really good after I set it up and replaced the hardware. Has an interesting sound (different) than my other LP style guitars and I think it’s due to whatever the Ebony like material is made of. It’s not bad, just different if that makes sense. All in all it’s turned into a great daily grinder with the stainless frets. After about another $150.00, the guitar is far more enjoyable. Let me know if you would like info on where I sourced the parts.

I may end up with a set of GFS Retrotrons if I like the way the guitar plays after I set it up. Thats good to hear that the frets were really nice. I'd just get their whole Kwikplug kit for the pups and harness. I would like to know where you get the other stuff sure.

No pics or sound yet but it got here and I mean, I am honestly flabbergasted at the quality of cheap guitars now. The action is superb, no sharp frets at all, intonation was a tad off. Not a flaw on this thing. Stays in tune well after a good stretching session with the strings and lubing the nut slots with a dab of graphite oil. Can't get over the quality of the build of this thing for just under 200 bucks after taxes.

Can't wait to plug it in for a real test.

Back