Best Option in 2023

wharf rat

Roadie
What’s the best option for a home player today?

-QC
-FM3 / AxeFx
-HX (Floor / HX Stomp)
-Fender Tonemaster Pro
-Boss (GT1000 Core)

I’m gonna buy something, and I don’t wanna regret it, haha!

No gigging. Just office home playing.

Or should I just get a small little tube amp and call it good?

I think it really depends on the person that will be using it. Everything on the market is capable of great sounds (except the TMP is a little behind on higher gain amps), so honestly it comes down to price and user interface. I’m solidly in the Fractal camp these days, but I have had (or still have) plenty of modelers through the years.

We all have our biases for sure, and people might say that I'm bound to recommend this like a broken record but:

I'm the happiest that I've ever been with the FM9 I'm a home player and there's no longer a waitlist.

I've had a bunch of tube amps, pedalboard hybrid amps, solid state amps (3 Quilters FFS!) and a few modellers. FM9 is where I've currently stopped after many many purchases and a lot of GAS. So far it's lasted the longest with me and just keeps getting better.

If you don't like it, then resale value is good. Also has a trial period.

There's also a Fractal sale on in North America right now.

Last edited:
Is Helix Native an option? Unless you specifically want hardware (beyond an interface and monitors), then Native is a great starting point and you can always branch out from there.

With my “biased opinion” hat in place, I say the FM3 all day, every day.

TMP is too young to really tell how good it will be. QC is not the favorite around here; I certainly didn’t like it when I had one. I have no really experience with the Boss stuff.

@wharf rat Did you see the recent (potentially controversial but sometimes useful) modeller ranking thread:

@wharf rat Did you see the recent (potentially controversial but sometimes useful) modeller ranking thread:

Thanks for this!

Gently used OG FM9.

🤔 If only there was such a device that was immediately available from a highly regarded and trusted seller.

Interested Kevin Nash GIF

-QC
-FM3 / AxeFx
-HX (Floor / HX Stomp)
-Fender Tonemaster Pro
-Boss (GT1000 Core)

Why not a plugin for your home office computer?

And since we're asking questions, what kind of music are you playing and what kind of amp and effect tones do you want?

-QC
-FM3 / AxeFx
-HX (Floor / HX Stomp)
-Fender Tonemaster Pro
-Boss (GT1000 Core)

Depends on what you care about. If the amp tone is king and don't care too much about effects then the axe is where you go and don't even bother thinking about anything else.

If you care about effects and UI then the conversation becomes more nuanced and complicated but the only two games in town that sort of get more of it right than wrong are the helix and the QC.

-QC
-FM3 / AxeFx
-HX (Floor / HX Stomp)
-Fender Tonemaster Pro
-Boss (GT1000 Core)

FM9, new or used and a set of these or something else to your fancy.

Set it down on the floor, hook it up to your computer on your desk and never look back.

Or get one of the other ones you listed, watch Fractal release new feature after new feature while you are waiting on promises or nothing at all, eventually get pissed, sell it and get a FM9 anyway.

Helix Floor would be second choice.

Back