Best Option in 2023

Is there a real reason to avoid the QC given where its development is at at the moment? I love the form factor and UI.

I mean I get the concerns with NDSP as a company and all that. Just seems like it’s past the initial drama.

Last edited:
Is there a real reason to avoid the QC given where its development is at at the moment? I love the form factor and UI.

I mean I get the concerns with NDSP as a company and all that. Just seems like it’s past the initial drama.
If you like where it's at right now, go for it. Don't hold out hope for a feature, regardless of the company's promise, being added later. Buy for what it is now.

It is important to note the higher failure rate compared to other devices. So be sure to buy new to have warranty.

Personally fractal and line 6 offer better bang for your buck imo and it isn't close. The major selling point for the QC, to me, is the capture function. If you don't plan on using captures and models only, I'd take a hard look at fractal and line 6.

Worth noting there are maybe 4 people on here who enjoy their QC and maybe 6 that have had one. Many on here are fractal and line 6 users

Last edited:
Fractal or Line 6.

I've owned the Helix, HX Stomp, a Kemper, Tonex as well as an FM3 and now an FM9 Turbo. (out of the current stuff, have owned a ton more before that)

That said, Kemper is a bit long-in-the-tooth now. Quad Cortex still has a crappy external wall-wart power supply, and while it's now getting to where it sounds really good and has a lot of capture options, third-party captures are more challenging to get ahold of than Kemper. Hell, even Tonex has a store front. QC's dev cycle is slower than molasses.

I feel like Helix still sounds great if you play with it enough, and, but TBH, I think the FM9 Turbo with the current deal is probably a better value.

Better Dev cycles from Line 6 and Fractal too.

I had issues with the touch screen, WiFi, and power supply. That’s why I would not pick another up, even if the product ever gets to the point where it does everything the marketing hype says it should.

Gently used OG FM9.
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

The form factor and UI are less of a consideration if you're just a home player with a computer and access to the editors of comparing products.

I could maybe see considering one or two of their plugins, but I just don't think the amp/cab/FX model content is robust enough on the device to command that price point for this particular use case.

- Which sounds are you after?
- Budget?
- Affinity with computerbased editing?
- Should it become a desktop or floor device?

What’s the best option for a home player today?

-QC
-FM3 / AxeFx
-HX (Floor / HX Stomp)
-Fender Tonemaster Pro
-Boss (GT1000 Core)

I’m gonna buy something, and I don’t wanna regret it, haha!

No gigging. Just office home playing.

Or should I just get a small little tube amp and call it good?

Budget?

What attributes are most important to you? I.E.:

Quality of Modeled Tones
# of Amps/Cabs/Effects and how many can be used in a single preset
Support, in the form of 3rd-party effects' designs, tutorials, how well the company handles issues
Frequency & types of Updates
Build Quality & Reliability
Cost, but also Value
How Versatile
Ease of Use- UI and Editor
Learning Curve
Amount of 'Tweakability' of Parameters
Signal Routing Options & Flexibility, both I/O and within presets
Switching Capabilities
Pro Artists' Use & how easy it is to cop their tones
Form Factor
Recording Ability
Other attributes I may not have thought of

If you can afford it and prefer MODELING, I would go Fractal, all day long. If you prefer Capturing or Profiling I would go Kemper. It just sounds great. I am biased towards the Kemper since I own one.

Back