Before There Was Autotune..., Eagles Harmonies Were Incredible

I fucking love The Eagles.

For some reason, their particular harmonies have always had a big emotional impact on me, ever since I was a kid. It’s pure joy when I hear them. Don Henley’s voice is fucking perfect. Before I die, I want to be able to sing one line as subtle and impactful as that dude can. When that documentary came out a few years back I think I watched it 5x in the first week.

I’d love nothing more to be in a situation where I could do this with a group of people-

I fucking love The Eagles.

For some reason, their particular harmonies have always had a big emotional impact on me, ever since I was a kid. It’s pure joy when I hear them. Don Henley’s voice is fucking perfect. Before I die, I want to be able to sing one line as subtle and impactful as that dude can. When that documentary came out a few years back I think I watched it 5x in the first week.

I’d love nothing more to be in a situation where I could do this with a group of people-

Our old bass player could SING! Pick out any note, and just NAIL it. So when I sing harmony with someone like that, I can sync up really well.

So when we had our acoustic trio, and we all sang, we did a cover of Take It Easy, and it was phenomenal. It really was. I mean, we'd get compliments on our vocals from people who I knew had an ear, so they weren't just "being nice."

Our 3-part harmonies would give me fucking goose bumps. And for me, it was like, fuckin effortless, because of how good Ward sang!

He even wanted to add Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling, but we just never got around to it. But we did focus on songs that had harmonies, and even if the song didn't have a 3rd part, Ward would find one and insert it. Me and Rob would just turn and look at him like, WTAF dude!!

:love That gig (Capital Centre '77) is one of my all-time favourites. I think the video footage came from a bonus DVD in some special edition CD bundle and it's some of the best concert footage I've ever encountered.
I really want to find a Blu-Ray (or atleast a good-quality rip) of the whole thing, because individual clips get removed from YouTube all the time. Years ago there were some really nice uploads but they're mostly gone I think. :(

EDIT: lol well shit, looks like the official Eagles Youtube channel FINALLY uploaded good versions of this stuff themselves.
EDIT2: Well, I think they put these new videos through an upscaler or something, because the motion is kinda smeary and the black levels are different. Oh well. Still better than the "current" uploads from other people I think.

Last edited:
Geesh, really makes me think of what we've lost with music since those days. I fondly remember new Eagles, Foreigner and Journey songs - seemed like every couple of weeks. I'm sure I'm missing others, but wtf happened?
Idk, but it isn't simply that 'we got old.' Maybe that answer worked 3 generations ago, but not now. Sure, it's part of it, but certainly not all. smh

Geesh, really makes me think of what we've lost with music since those days. I fondly remember new Eagles, Foreigner and Journey songs - seemed like every couple of weeks. I'm sure I'm missing others, but wtf happened?
There are few if any bookstores in my city today, same with record stores, live music, movie theatres are struggling… Once the purchase/distribution of “product” is all digital it tends to get frozen in time. The corporations who own it all thought they had a license to print money by purchasing brands and IPs and reselling them forever – just like we did when we rebought our collections on CD from Vinyl and made a one-off bonanza for record companies - which big multinationals scarfed up.

Lots of reboots, remakes, remasters, sequels and prequels in entertainment today. IMHO anyway (I’m playing Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth and Dragon’s Dogma 2 on PS5, watching Shogun on TV and avoiding Movies altogether. I have Eagles albums on CD I regularly enjoy, which I bought to replace my LP's). Autotune is just another step away from reality to VR.

It’s almost like Digital Disruption is a real thing! I can't wait for AI to really set the cat amongst the pigeons!

Joe Walsh :chef

Super clear memory of me and my 7th grade buds hanging just on the other side of a fence from a big backyard party my older sister and all her High School friends were having. Music was blaring and Rocky Mountain Way came on - hadn't made the radio yet so it was the very first time we'd all heard it.

:oops:

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

BUM BAH DA BUM!!! spent the last year........

What a killer, killer tune that's just been played to DEATH unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have spent a ton of time the past few days listening to the Radio, and man, Autotune
has not only crashed the party on natural harmonies, but it also has this nasty-ass way
of removing a lot of the character of a singer.

Listen to early Green Day (Dookie) without Autotune, and then listen to the amazing
Vocal Coach Billie Joe has had since then, on a new track like Dilemma. :facepalm All those cool
quirks and traits are largely obliterated with the pitch(y) correction. It blew me away
last night when it dawned on me that this vocal software corrects pitch and destroys
character. And not in a good way, if you ask me.

Just listen to these two songs back to back.

First:

Second:

The difference is massive!

I have spent a ton of time the past few days listening to the Radio, and man, Autotune
has not only crashed the party on natural harmonies, but it also has this nasty-ass way
of removing a lot of the character of a singer.

Listen to early Green Day (Dookie) without Autotune, and then listen to the amazing
Vocal Coach Billie Joe has had since then, on a new track like Dilemma. :facepalm All those cool
quirks and traits are largely obliterated with the pitch(y) correction. It blew me away
last night when it dawned on me that this vocal software corrects pitch and destroys
character. And not in a good way, if you ask me.

Just listen to these two songs back to back.

First:

Second:

The difference is massive!

Hey Zeus Fukkerin Christine, don't get me started on autotune.

Back