Basic netiquette

When it all comes down to It, you can distill all the rules of the internet down to one: Don’t be a dick.

However, there is one instance when it’s apt to be a dick. It’s correct and proper to call someone out when they are being a dick. Being a dick to a dick is both entertaining and cathartic. Maybe they didn’t realize they were being a dick. In such instances the dick should re-evaluate the situation and say it won’t happen again. There is no point in hurt feelings or apologies, just stop being a dick.

Autocorrect changed every instance of dick to duck. I think i caught them all but also don’t be a duck.

Don’t be a dick.
How do you define being a dick. Being a dick is subjective, has everything to do with you as an individual, or a collective, or a group, or a society, or a community, your moral conditioning, your religious beliefs. What being a dick is for you, maybe isn't being a dick for me. You wanna make rules about this, I'm offended when I see TBP for Gods sake. It's a valid offense, I'm offended. What am I gonna do, call the cops?

Last edited:
GIF by Girls on HBO

How do you define being a dick. Being a dick is subjective, has everything to do with you as an individual, or a collective, or a group, or a society, or a community, your moral conditioning, your religious beliefs. What being a dick is for you, maybe isn't being a dick for me. You wanna make rules about this, I'm offended when I see TBP for Gods sake. It's a valid offense, I'm offended. What am I gonna do, call the cops?
ok, first of all, what is TBP?

Well, there's a thread at TOP that asked if you use batteries or power supplies for your pedals. The ballot listed “batteries” and “transformers”. This caused a duck to point out that he uses neither because he uses Strymon switching power supplies, being purposely obtuse to the fact that is not the point of the thread and that there are transformers in switching power supplies. He’s just being a dick by claiming some esoteric and ironically non-existent difference.

That’s what prompted this thread.

Last edited:
We get some tolerable dickitude here but it’s mostly friendly. TOP seems to be a group of people that need to show they’re the smartest person in the room. Newsflash: if you gotta tell everyone you’re smart, you probably aren’t.

I try not to engage with them unless they sling personal attacks. There are tons of people that are looking for an argument on social media, apparently it's a sport. Life's too short to bicker incessantly.

When it all comes down to It, you can distill all the rules of the internet down to one: Don’t be a dick.

However, there is one instance when it’s apt to be a dick. It’s correct and proper to call someone out when they are being a dick. Being a dick to a dick is both entertaining and cathartic. Maybe they didn’t realize they were being a dick. In such instances the dick should re-evaluate the situation and say it won’t happen again. There is no point in hurt feelings or apologies, just stop being a dick.

Autocorrect changed every instance of dick to duck. I think i caught them all but also don’t be a duck.
Dick...

Back