Bandmix Finally Paid Off...

Networking and canvassing and connecting is important. The platform seems less so to me. Just get out there,
and find people. Make friends. Have fun! Kiss all the frogs until you find your Princes or Princesses!! :beer

And if we are not having luck just yet, then we can always work on our skills so when the time comes we'll be
more than prepared.

What's that saying, "Luck = Preparation x Opportunity?"
Sometimes working on skills by myself feels
1701713213631.gif

It would be more fun with others joining in 😂😂😂

That’s what I’m talking about!!!
That sounds ideal.
Run with it and enjoy @Bob Zaod

Yep we have been doing it for about 6 months now. The other project I am in is very structured and geared towards gigging and we concentrate more on what we think the punters will enjoy. I like both situations for different reasons.

have not tried bandmix, glad it worked out for you. CL seems to be decent around here still, FB musician groups are better though.
Craigslist here is just hilarious. It's either stuff well beyond my ability ("need a guitarist for a gig tonight playing Conlon Nancarrow covers - must be able to sight read punched player piano rolls") or it's some dude's weird niche fantasy project ("We will be the premiere Spandau Ballet cover band. I have the outfits, you provide the practice space and PA. Also looking for a drummer, bass player and keyboardist.")

Thats my other project I have going. We have no "goals" or end game. We just get together weekly and jam out some songs and have some laughs. It's usually fairly early in the day so we don't really drink or anything, we just play nice n loud. We do have homework that we try to stick to, but other than that there's no real guidelines. We do anything from folky stuff to slow blues to high energy rock to grunge and even dip our toes in some metal here and there. If someone tosses a private party gig at us down the road or something we will play one here and there.
This is the type of playing situation I have been thinking of looking for in my area. Something where I can gather with people and do some playing and singing. There was a band here that started as a bunch of friends gathering weekly for a jam. They got enough songs down that they decided to start gigging. I could handle that and don't mind doing a few gigs here and there but I think I am pretty much over playing every Friday and Saturday night. It gets really difficult to keep up with that and a day job that has me working 50 to 60 hours a week. In one of the bands I was with in the recent past, we had an 8 month stint with no breaks. I was pretty tired at the end of that.

Craigslist here is just hilarious. It's either stuff well beyond my ability ("need a guitarist for a gig tonight playing Conlon Nancarrow covers - must be able to sight read punched player piano rolls") or it's some dude's weird niche fantasy project ("We will be the premiere Spandau Ballet cover band. I have the outfits, you provide the practice space and PA. Also looking for a drummer, bass player and keyboardist.")

Very similar here. One guy got me twice. Sent him the list and he says "I know almost all those songs". Great! See you in 2 weeks at 6pm. Dude shows up and we ask him what song he wants to start with. He say's "Oh just play whatever in your list and I'll join in". Hmm ok, weird but ok. We start and we are a good 2 minutes into the song and he's just sitting there on his amp plinking away randomly. Nothing related to the song and definitely not even in key to what we are doing. We finish the song and ask him what songs he knows how to play. "Oh dont worry about that, just start a song and I will join in. Ok.....one more time and same exact thing. SO I stop the song about 12 bars in and ask if he can play anything off the song list. Oh just go ahead and....Nope. Not doing that. If you can't play any of the songs we need to get going on OUR rehearsal so that the people that took time out of their weekend to be here can actually get something out of this. Have a good night Sir.

He packs up his Duesenberg and Matchless amp and leaves. About 2 years later we are looking again because our lead guitarist was activated for military service and would be gone a long time. This guy contacted me again through an ad and tells me he is in much better shape to join a band now and was in a gigging band recently. Our prospects were bare so I agreed to let him come try again.

SAME $HIT!!!! HE DID THE EXACT SAME THING HE DID LAST TIME. He wasted roughly 6 minutes less this time though because when he started to say "just play" I said NO. You start the song with us. He says ok and then doesn't, so I stopped everything and told him to get the fuck out of my house and never contact me again. Then I explained to this MORON that 4 other people took time out of their weekends to be here on time and do this. I also called him out on his "I know almost all your songs" BS. He says "well I have heard them, that's what I meant". I said both times you had 2 fucking weeks to learn some of it, and you know exactly nothing about how to play any of it! GET THE FUCK OUT!

I honestly wanted to choke this guy out. My wife put herself between us because she could see my blood pressure rising as I was yelling at the guy. I would not have touched him but she told me I looked like I was gonna.

I have many other stories but that was a recent one.

I think that’s a big difference between CL and Bandmix; Bandmix requires a little more effort to set up than making a random post on CL. Our CL down here is a bash fest of warring local cover bands, guys who flake on auditions and get called out, or crazy fuckers who keep trying to put bands together with normal people.

The last ad I responded to on CL was for a Floyd tribute band, the two times I showed up I was the only one ready to play, the bassist and drummer just wanted to sit on folding chairs and talk about how cool it was gonna be to have a Floyd tribute someday. :rofl

Knowing what I know now I find CL and bandmix or whatever online thing to be a complete roll of the dice and rarely worth the effort. Going to open jams or going to local shows of whatever genre you are into has worked out way better imo. Ymmv.

When I stipulated that I didn't want to do covers, but we were all old .... I mean.... experienced and
capable players..... and that we had no interest in pounding the pavement for any gigs.... the old farts
came rushing out of the woodwork. :LOL:

Seems like just being up front and honest about what your skill level is (or isn't) and then being as
clear and forthright as possible from the get go, is always a good way to go.

I know for a fact that there are dudes and dudettes of all skill levels and ambition levels wanting to get
together and play. Just know what you want, and are capable of. :beer

Very similar here. One guy got me twice. Sent him the list and he says "I know almost all those songs". Great! See you in 2 weeks at 6pm. Dude shows up and we ask him what song he wants to start with. He say's "Oh just play whatever in your list and I'll join in". Hmm ok, weird but ok. We start and we are a good 2 minutes into the song and he's just sitting there on his amp plinking away randomly. Nothing related to the song and definitely not even in key to what we are doing. We finish the song and ask him what songs he knows how to play. "Oh dont worry about that, just start a song and I will join in. Ok.....one more time and same exact thing. SO I stop the song about 12 bars in and ask if he can play anything off the song list. Oh just go ahead and....Nope. Not doing that. If you can't play any of the songs we need to get going on OUR rehearsal so that the people that took time out of their weekend to be here can actually get something out of this. Have a good night Sir.

He packs up his Duesenberg and Matchless amp and leaves. About 2 years later we are looking again because our lead guitarist was activated for military service and would be gone a long time. This guy contacted me again through an ad and tells me he is in much better shape to join a band now and was in a gigging band recently. Our prospects were bare so I agreed to let him come try again.

SAME $HIT!!!! HE DID THE EXACT SAME THING HE DID LAST TIME. He wasted roughly 6 minutes less this time though because when he started to say "just play" I said NO. You start the song with us. He says ok and then doesn't, so I stopped everything and told him to get the fuck out of my house and never contact me again. Then I explained to this MORON that 4 other people took time out of their weekends to be here on time and do this. I also called him out on his "I know almost all your songs" BS. He says "well I have heard them, that's what I meant". I said both times you had 2 fucking weeks to learn some of it, and you know exactly nothing about how to play any of it! GET THE FUCK OUT!

I honestly wanted to choke this guy out. My wife put herself between us because she could see my blood pressure rising as I was yelling at the guy. I would not have touched him but she told me I looked like I was gonna.

I have many other stories but that was a recent one.
Bob, from one high-strung person to another; I had to laugh at this but I worry about you! Don't let these morons get you down!

I *almost* took the Bandmix Cyber Monday deal, but my drummer had the paid version for a month, we sent out about 20 messages and heard back from ZERO players.

We run a CL ad and usually get at least 2-3 replies, Bandmix got us nowhere.

I have an unpaid account and have had 3 people reach out to me. The first one BM let me reply to them, the second and third I was unable to reply.

Glad some folks are having good luck with it, though. Maybe I'll sign up for a paid account for myself and see what happens.

I *almost* took the Bandmix Cyber Monday deal, but my drummer had the paid version for a month, we sent out about 20 messages and heard back from ZERO players.

We run a CL ad and usually get at least 2-3 replies, Bandbox got us nowhere.

I have an unpaid account and have had 3 people reach out to me. The first one BM let me reply to them, the second and third I was unable to reply.

Glad some folks are having good luck with it, though. Maybe I'll sing up for a paid account for myself and see what happens.
Sounds like the yearly Black Friday Hulu account special :rofl "You can reach me at totallynotthesameIron1freebieaccount@gmail.com" :oops::ROFLMAO:

Networking and canvassing and connecting is important. The platform seems less so to me. Just get out there,
and find people. Make friends. Have fun! Kiss all the frogs until you find your Princes or Princesses!! :beer

And if we are not having luck just yet, then we can always work on our skills so when the time comes we'll be
more than prepared.

What's that saying, "Luck = Preparation x Opportunity?"
story response GIF

Back