AXE III fw 27 vs. Kemper vs. Tonex

texhex

Roadie
Well I just upgraded my graphics card from a 1070 Ti to a 3080 Ti to decrease the time Tonex takes to process an Advanced Capture.

Advanced Training time results:
1070 Ti - 20:52
3080 Ti - 17:04

So just over an 18% decrease in time. Not too bad but not worth the price I paid for the 3080 Ti. I can wait 5 more minutes…

The thing is, I haven’t created a Tonex Capture in several months and doing this just reminded me of how much I can’t stand the entire Tonex Capturing process.

For comparison I created a Kemper Profile of the same amp and refined it and it took just about the same amount of time to complete. The Kemper process is much less cumbersome to me vs. what I have to setup to Capture Tonex.

So why the title?

I now had a fresh Tonex Capture and Kemper Profile of a Marshall 1987X and AXE III fw 27 which has the exact same amp; and I have a way to compare all of these back to back to back using the same IR, cycling through each via a MIDI foot switch.

The AXE-III model of the 1987X absolutely DESTROYS the Tonex Capture and Kemper Profile. I literally set the knobs on the AXE to match the settings on the amp and it is incredible how good the AXE sounds when comparing.

It’s the little nuanced overtones of the amp that the AXE can reproduce when playing lightly and dynamically that the Capture and Profile don’t. Strumming out big open chords all three sound similar but the AXE still sounds more like the real amp. The only real difference is the amount of noise floor hiss the real amp produces vs the AXE. When ranking all three for accuracy it’s AXE then Kemper then Tonex with this particular amp.

I’d love to get a QC Capture in this mix but I just can’t see how anyone can compete with Fractal at this point.

Are you messing with the speaker impedance at all?

Doing a little comparison with QC and I’m generally finding the axe is brighter and more mid forward where QC has more bass and a little more scooped.

Back