Audio interfaces again

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
I've been recording some demos (music only) for the rest of my band using my stomp for the last few months. Our singer and I want to start doing some full demos with vocals and programmed drums so I'm thinking about upgrading.

The stomp has been OK but monitoring from my daw, the rather poor latency no dedicated mic inputs and no phantom power means I think I'll be better off with a dedicated unit.

There's a barely used Ssl2 for sale near me for a decent price and I'm thinking it'll probably do the job but wondered if anyone else has used this unit and if its working for you or not?

I really want to use it for Helix native and to connect to my two notes load box from my jvm. I'll also be recording vocals and acoustic guitars using some dynamic and condenser mics. One of my primary concerns is the RTL, it's not been great on my stomp.

Is there anything obviously better out there or are most units in the Ssl2 price range pretty comparable?

Ill be running it into a i7 6600 powered laptop with 16gb ram.

SLS 2 and most in and around the that price bracket are very decent I have a Motu M2 which im quite happy with
the SLS 2 was a contender as was the IK Media Axe I/O and the Universal audio Volt 276, went with the Motu as I got a good deal and it got good reviews

The M2 is the other one I'm looking at if I have to buy new but there's a used ssl2 for about half price near me. Doesn't look like he's used it, he apparently bought it last year to start recording and never really bothered.

The M2 is the other one I'm looking at if I have to buy new but there's a used ssl2 for about half price near me. Doesn't look like he's used it, he apparently bought it last year to start recording and never really bothered.
A deal is a deal and well its a solid unit dont think any of the others i mentioned will be that much better given the price

I have no direct experience using the SSL2, but it has been at the top of my list if I upgrade to a dedicated interface.

A friend of mine swears by his and raves about the mic preamps for vocals and acoustic guitar.

shooting-a-gun-gun.gif

Well I picked it up earlier tonight and so far it's pretty awesome. I haven't been able to try out the mic preamps yet but the latency with helix native is soooo muxh better than using my stomp as an interface.

Also I wasn't able to get my stomp to run with a buffer size under 128 or the crackles and pops made it completely unusable. The Ssl is quite happily running at a buffer of 64 with no weird artifacts at all.

I'm looking forward to getting some tracks recorded over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Back