Audio Interface recommendations to replace a Scarlet 2i2 1st Gen?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Decided at the end of December I was going to upgrade my trusty old Scarlet 2i2 1G with the latest & greatest Scarlet 4i4. A, I figured it was time and B, I'd like to have more inputs than the 2i2.

Well, I grabbed a 4i4 and it wouldn't connect to my iMac. Did seemingly endless hours of troubleshooting, had some of the absolute worst Tech Support I've ever experienced from Focurite, discovered scads of people on the interwebz having the same issue and ended up returning it. Grabbed an M-Audio unit next, but the signal it passed to my DAW was entirely too quiet/low, so I returned it and went back to using the old 2i2 until I could replace it.

I've recently noticed having volume issues on the 2i2, so figure that's a sign to replace it now on my terms vs waiting for it to die and I have to scramble to get a replacement when I'm not prepared. It is over 8 years old now, so it doesn't owe me anything. :rofl

I'd like to stay sub $250 if at all possible, and know there are solid options out there.

These two are currently top of my list:

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Mk2

1679161845667.jpeg

Audient iD4 MKII USB-C Audio Interface

1679161884669.jpeg

I noticed the Audient has some fans in this thread, but I'm not limited to USB-C, so not sure that's the way forward for me. I'm much more interested in having a clean, stable, strong signal at the end of the day, along with the option of having 3 or more input sources I can leave connected regularly. And, I'm not interested in using my Helix as an interface, just want a stand alone replacement for the 2i2.

If you need an idea of what I do with it, check out the TGF Do Something Challenge threads.

Anyone have any input (no pun intended) on these two? Have a different recommendation I should consider? TIA!

I honestly think PreSonus interfaces offer a lot of bang for the buck, for example the Studio 26c.

I have a PreSonus Quantum 2 and it's honestly the best audio interface I ever owned. By far the best latency I ever witnessed. Drivers are really stable and updated regularly. Before the Quantum I had an AudioBox, and that was also really good for its price.

Last edited:
Also the Arturia MiniFuse 4 looks really nice. It has multiple inputs and its instrument input level seems to be exactly what you'd want for Helix Native (Maximum input level: +11.5dBu).

Last edited:
I looked at a Lot before I settled on the Motu its a great Interface for my Needs
Others I Looked at as contenders were

IK Multimedia Axe I/O
Universal Audio Volt 4/76
Solid State Logic SSL 2+
Motu M2 Won out based on a deal I got

Although I would have probably went with UA 4/76 but was like $120.00 More

Last edited:
Also the Arturia MiniFuse 4 looks really nice. It has multiple inputs and its instrument input level seems to be exactly what you'd want for Helix Native (Maximum input level: +11.5dBu).

That definitely looks like a Scarlet 2i2 upgrade, with essentially the same basics. I'll add that to my list. Thx!
I looked at a Lot before I settled on the Motu its a great Interface for my Needs
Others I Looked at as contenders were

IK Multimedia Axe I/O
Universal Audio Volt 4/76
Solid State Logic SSL 2+
Motu M2 Won out based on a deal I got
Have any pluses/minuses to any of them, other than price?

Well For my needs the Motu was a good choice only thing is the Input is in the front I would have preferred input in the back
I also liked the LCD visual for In and out had good latency and good Preamps (low Noise Floor)
The Volt also had front Input but had some nice Features such as the 76 Compressor Mode and Vintage Mode
the IK was also out of My budget but it had some Nice features as well Like the Z tone with Jfet input stage this Unit seemed to be optimized for guitar recordings (and if good enough for Satch then it must be great) :grin
the SSL +2 was nice had that Legendary 4k Legacy and had the Rear Input that i liked ohh yeah and that nice big blue Volume dial :grin

I have been using one of those Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 devices and it’s a great interface. Mine is the MK 1 but they are almost exactly the same. Great ASIO driver, low latency and a pretty complete feature set for the price.

These are supposedly also very good:

And for a little more money this one gives you a ton of I/O.

I have been using one of those Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 devices and it’s a great interface. Mine is the MK 1 but they are almost exactly the same. Great ASIO driver, low latency and a pretty complete feature set for the price.

I have heard that there‘s a little easter egg in Helix Native. Once it recognizes a Behringer interface, the UI will turn blue and you‘ll have access to 32 „original“ bonus amp models from the V-Amp. 😉

Well For my needs the Motu was a good choice only thing is the Input is in the front I would have preferred input in the back
I also liked the LCD visual for In and out had good latency and good Preamps (low Noise Floor)
The Volt also had front Input but had some nice Features such as the 76 Compressor Mode and Vintage Mode
the IK was also out of My budget but it had some Nice features as well Like the Z tone with Jfet input stage this Unit seemed to be optimized for guitar recordings (and if good enough for Satch then it must be great) :grin
the SSL +2 was nice had that Legendary 4k Legacy and had the Rear Input that i liked ohh yeah and that nice big blue Volume dial :grin
Thanks - good stuff to know. I think I'd prefer inputs on the back, as long as the controls/meters for those inputs are on the front. But, I'm fine with inputs on the front since that's what the 2i2 has... but, you made me think about that... so, thanks for making me think... have any aspirin?:rofl j/k
I have heard that there‘s a little easter egg in Helix Native. Once it recognizes a Behringer interface, the UI will turn blue and you‘ll have access to 32 „original“ bonus amp models from the V-Amp.
Interesting. I have a Behringer Ultragain Pro and like it well enough. Does this Easter egg work with Helix Rack, Floor etc or only Native?

Good to know about the Native Komplete. It's still top of my list, but I've only just started my rabbit hole descent.

Presonus Quantum is really good tbh. I shot it out against an RME Fireface UFXII, and the Quantum matched it pound for pound. The RME was £1900, and the Quantum cost me £500 from Amazon.

I pair it with an Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Pro SC, which originally I was hoping would be my main interface. But I don't like their desktop software too much, and honestly? monitoring exclusively through the DAW (required for the Presonus) isn't a problem for me. So I run the Discrete 8 as a standalone unit, ADAT and word-clocked to the Presonus. It has been really solid.

The first one I ordered got lost in shipping somewhere, so I had to order another. It's supposed to be here today... hopefully. :hmm:rofl

Back