ART SLA-1 100-watt Power Amplifier - Any Experience?

53170614c118pMorHYMIcC4rT3QytyMYfF9DRDxa.jpg

Looking at getting a cheap WDW setup, and was looking at power amps. I landed on this one.

I know everyone loves the tube power amps, I do too. I just can't afford it right now, and I am determined to decide on something to save for!!!

This is definitely in my budget and for how often I will realistically use this out, this makes more sense to my frugal mind.

If anyone has any experience or anything, please add it here. Thanks in advance.

I had one and sold it to my Buddy who still has it. A bit underpowered in Stereo operation. A little
more stout in Bridged Mono. :idk

Depending on the level of volume I think it could be great, or a big miss that leaves you wanting
more. Don't they have an SLA-2 that is a bit more in the wattage department.

In my experience, I think it qualifies best as a studio reference amp. Driving big speakers (especially
multiple) is not where it shines---unless you don't play loud and don't require a lot of headrooom.

I had one and sold it to my Buddy who still has it. A bit underpowered in Stereo operation. A little
more stout in Bridged Mono. :idk

Depending on the level of volume I think it could be great, or a big miss that leaves you wanting
more. Don't they have an SLA-2 that is a bit more in the wattage department.

In my experience, I think it qualifies best as a studio reference amp. Driving big speakers (especially
multiple) is not where it shines---unless you don't play loud and don't require a lot of headrooom.
Gotcha, I replied to your message.

I have one I run bridged mono with a tube preamp. Sounds killer. You need a banana plug to 1/4" female adapter to plug in your cab.
Thanks, I intend on using it in stereo.

I did notice the banana plugs, but I'm familiar so I expect that.

Glad to know I'm at least on the right track to 3d goodness.

For stereo, I would snag the SLA-2. Really depends on what ohms your cans are.
It says it's 100 watts per channel...may have a trade worked out on one, and I'm patient....just for my practice space, for nostalgic experimentation.

But you are the 2nd person to say that, i will take it under consideration, but my cabs are 100 watts and 8 ohm...so it fits.

I had the SLA-2.

I thought it sounded good.

But, it's heavy and big! And you need to connect bare speaker wires or use cables with a banana plug or adapter.

I had one. It was ok, nothing impressive. I would recommend a Palmer Macht 402 instead. Much better sounding and lighter. Hard to find in the US but Thomann will ship it here. As far as lightweight, current in production SS guitar power amps go, it's my favorite.

Other than that, consider tracking down an old TubeWorks Mosvalve.

I had one. It was ok, nothing impressive. I would recommend a Palmer Macht 402 instead. Much better sounding and lighter. Hard to find in the US but Thomann will ship it here. As far as lightweight, current in production SS guitar power amps go, it's my favorite.

Other than that, consider tracking down an old TubeWorks Mosvalve.
I will remember that.

This is just for bedroom use, and I have 8 ohm cabs, so that would be 100 watts a side.

Also have a potential trade in the works for an ART...so I will probably go that way if it works out ..

Thanks for the recommendation though, I do appreciate it.

Back