Anyone using a Zoom Q2N4K?

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
These seem to have fairly positive reviews and aren't that expensive. Thinking about grabbing one for gigs and possibly replace using voice memo to record practices. Any thoughts?

These seem to have fairly positive reviews and aren't that expensive. Thinking about grabbing one for gigs and possibly replace using voice memo to record practices. Any thoughts?
I've not used one but anything would be an improvement over voice memo - although it is good for quick song ideas and melodies.

If you have a small interface and 1 or 2 condensers you could always just run into a laptop? That's more stuff to carry though.

I have been using a Tascam DR-05 for many, many years now to record rehearsals. Amazing little unit. Runs forever on batteries. The mics can take a ton of SPL punishment and hold up well enough to study the recording after the fact. Runs on a cheapy SD card. UI is meh. But it's mostly set-it-and-forget-it.

I'd recommend one over a video device. I don't see the value in video unless you need it for a social media channel.

I've not used one but anything would be an improvement over voice memo - although it is good for quick song ideas and melodies.

If you have a small interface and 1 or 2 condensers you could always just run into a laptop? That's more stuff to carry though.

Laziness and fear based response to basic technology precludes me from bringing a laptop to gigs :LOL:

I have been using a Tascam DR-05 for many, many years now to record rehearsals. Amazing little unit. Runs forever on batteries. The mics can take a ton of SPL punishment and hold up well enough to study the recording after the fact. Runs on a cheapy SD card. UI is meh. But it's mostly set-it-and-forget-it.

I'd recommend one over a video device. I don't see the value in video unless you need it for a social media channel.

Video from gigs with passable audio for social media/just to have is a significant factor in why I'm looking at these

I've used Zoom products since the mid 2000s for rehearsal and gig recording.

Seems to be a consensus that the video quality is trash---especially in low light
settings. That's put me off from buying one and upgrading from the Zoom Q1 I
Have had since around 2009. I use the H2N damn near every day for recording
my practice and writing sessions. Love that little fucker. :beer

I had the Q2N, and the audio was good, but the video sucked balls. I just run an H4N Pro with a couple iPhones for the video, and sync later. The video quality is way better.

Back