Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

What's the benefit of changing out switches when there are no issues?

Is it mostly to avoid breakdown at the worst possible time in the future?
Poor function, sometimes detrimental to the tone and the possibility of almost random failure.

Andy i have some Nickel covered pickups, but really they look like shiny chrome, and I hate chrome
i also have a set of just Pickup covers that are Nickel , is it possible to use 0000 Steel wool and remove the shininess?
or will it just scratch it? will it give it a brushed nickel look ?

Thanks again for your valued Input

Not Andy-

Nickel is more yellow in color than chrome.

Luster is a function of polish (level) - you can dull things by scratching it with abrasive but people who do it with care, make sure to make sure they have the pattern go the depth and direction they want.

Rarely, do I ever finish the blade to high luster (unless it has a hamon), finishing at no more than 800 grit on the primary bevel (blade).

I’d use some kind of motorized wheel or belt, but those things can yank parts out of your hand occasionally.

Well i plan to try with some 0000 and hand rub them lightly in one direction till that ugly mirror shine is gone
well see how it turns out hopefully give me a result i like
I tried to find some Brushed Nickel covers but could not find any no where in my searches :idk

Not Andy-

Nickel is more yellow in color than chrome.

Luster is a function of polish (level) - you can dull things by scratching it with abrasive but people who do it with care, make sure to make sure they have the pattern go the depth and direction they want.

Rarely, do I ever finish the blade to high luster (unless it has a hamon), finishing at no more than 800 grit on the primary bevel (blade).

I’d use some kind of motorized wheel or belt, but those things can yank parts out of your hand occasionally.
Thank you for the input Fret (y)

Andy i have some Nickel covered pickups, but really they look like shiny chrome, and I hate chrome
i also have a set of just Pickup covers that are Nickel , is it possible to use 0000 Steel wool and remove the shininess?
or will it just scratch it? will it give it a brushed nickel look ?

Thanks again for your valued Input
No that always looks bad. Buy a set of nickel covers. Be careful that you get the right size hole spacing. They tend to come in 49.2 mm for old Gibson/ Seymour standard and 50mm / 52mm /53mm metric. They have to be exactly right.

No that always looks bad. Buy a set of nickel covers. Be careful that you get the right size hole spacing. They tend to come in 49.2 mm for old Gibson/ Seymour standard and 50mm / 52mm /53mm metric. They have to be exactly right.
yes I bought 2 sets of nickel covers both are shinny like chrome :(
my prior original Revstar had Nickel pickup covers

1683062997503.png

You could acid wash it… that might be cool.

But nickel is a bitch to oxidize. I think I’ve seen someone do it, though on stainless (e.g. nickel content) maybe w/ sulfuric?

YouTube bro … lol

Wonder why I can't find any Nickel covered pickups or brushed satin Nickel covers :mad:

Get a plastic food box and a small glass of vinegar. Put the glass in the plastic box and the covers in the box . The glass only needs a half inch of vinegar in it and the box is to contain the evaporation vapour of the vinegar.
This will give a nice realistic discolouration to the nickel. Probably a couple of hours needed. Don’t get vinegar on the covers directly though it doesn’t look good.
You could acid wash it… that might be cool.

But nickel is a b*tch to oxidize. I think I’ve seen someone do it, though on stainless (e.g. nickel content) maybe w/ sulfuric?

YouTube bro … lol
nickel is easy to discolour. It’s chrome that isn’t. Don’t go anywhere near anything that strong.

Last edited:
If you want brushed nickel buy unplated raw nickel covers and gently sand them in the direction you want the brush effect with a 600 3m foam sanding block.

Get a plastic food box and a small glass of vinegar. Put the glass in the plastic box and the covers in the box . The glass only needs a half inch of vinegar in it Ann the box is to contain the evaporation vapour of the vinegar.
This will give a nice realistic discolouration to the nickel. Probably a couple of hours needed. Don’t get vinegar on the covers directly though it doesn’t look good.

nickel is easy to discolour. It’s chrome that isn’t. Don’t go anywhere near anything that strong.

Yeah, I never deal with pure nickel plating; only stainless steel alloys, and there’s a bunch of other junk in there.
👍

You'll remove it from the pickup first, right? Right!?
Really don’t use steel wool any hardware it looks terrible. Belt sander caster hardware choice of finish for the criminally useless at relic work. Yes Nash that’s you .🤣

Back