Amp Misconceptions

Owned a SLO30 and I found it to be quite remarkable with that gummy midrange, and the way it reacts to gain is really impressive… it…just…gets…meaner… while retaining its note separation.

It def has a fat @$$ that needs to be handled. (That’s what she said) I hit mine with an OCD.

I don’t know that it’s magical, but it does a thing, and that thing is awesome.
Is it outdoor-giggable loud?

Every single Orange Tube amp (a bunch) I have ever played through sounds like absolute a$$ to my ears. Fuzzy, messy, crapola IMO and wayyyy overpriced these days. I have never hated the sound of an amp more than a Thunderverb I had to use at a multi band show. Ok maybe the Fender 75 head I had but other than that one..yuck. Marshall JCM900 is a close 2nd. Fizz city caca.

Thank you!

Never was I more disappoint than when I was at a store, many years ago, trying all the Oranges they had there, and they all sounded like absolute crap. Undefined, unrefined, and messy.

Definitely NOT the sound I have heard on numerous amp/phone ITR demos online.

Is it outdoor-giggable loud?

The 30 can peel paint. Loud as shit. I barely turned mine past 9oclock. I’m a home player these days and never played it in a band context, but I’d be very surprised if that amp couldnt keep up with a 4-piece. Kyle Bull did a band practice video using the mini amp version, and there is no way the 30 wouldn’t blow the doors off that thing.

The 30 can peel paint. Loud as s**t. I barely turned mine past 9oclock. I’m a home player these days and never played it in a band context, but I’d be very surprised if that amp couldnt keep up with a 4-piece. Kyle Bull did a band practice video using the mini amp version, and there is no way the 30 wouldn’t blow the doors off that thing.

I bought a 2x12 a few weeks ago and the guy I got it from had a SLO 30 that we demoed through it. Sounded fucking huge and awesome :love

Every single Orange Tube amp (a bunch) I have ever played through sounds like absolute a$$ to my ears. Fuzzy, messy, crapola IMO and wayyyy overpriced these days. I have never hated the sound of an amp more than a Thunderverb I had to use at a multi band show. Ok maybe the Fender 75 head I had but other than that one..yuck. Marshall JCM900 is a close 2nd. Fizz city caca.

Man I loved my old thunderverb :cry:

fuzzy was what I was going for at the time, I was using it for stoner/doom stuff. If that wasn't the application you were going for I could see not liking it

Owned a SLO30 and I found it to be quite remarkable with that gummy midrange, and the way it reacts to gain is really impressive… it…just…gets…meaner… while retaining its note separation.

It def has a fat @$$ that needs to be handled. (That’s what she said) I hit mine with an OCD.

I don’t know that it’s magical, but it does a thing, and that thing is awesome.
It also does other things too, which is kind of surprising since all anyone ever seems to want to do when they get ahold of one is put it on the overdrive channel and play Ratt riffs. i.e. the crunch/normal channel is f'n great and the clean is really good too.

If the clean was actually a usable channel as opposed to a mode of the normal channel it'd be an amazing 3 channel amp.

It's like a three or four trick pony, IMHO. It's not a designed-for-modern-metal high gainer out of the gate, though.

Jokes on Dumble, because Henry Kaiser was trolling guitarists and the music industry since the 70s.
And him (Henry) using a Dumble amp is trolling of cosmic proportions in and of itself.

Here we go, 3:10.

Wasn't kidding bout screeching cats.

As For what comes after, I live in scotland, that sounds nothing like bagpipes, and no, thats not the reason people are looking at you weird.

It also does other things too, which is kind of surprising since all anyone ever seems to want to do when they get ahold of one is put it on the overdrive channel and play Ratt riffs. i.e. the crunch/normal channel is f'n great and the clean is really good too.

If the clean was actually a usable channel as opposed to a mode of the normal channel it'd be an amazing 3 channel amp.

It's like a three or four trick pony, IMHO. It's not a designed-for-modern-metal high gainer out of the gate, though.
The SLO is incredibly versatile, just not at once, Knopfler uses it for cleans, Clapton for being Clapton, Lynch, Vai, EVH, Pike, list goes on.

Agree totally. Not being able to foot-switch between clean/crunch and not having independent gain/volume controls for clean/crunch sorta stinks. Limits it versatility, which is otherwise quite considerable. Ultimately that made me ‘internet feature checklist’ sell it, but I probably could/should have kept it anyway. (Needs to go back on my buy-twice list lol)

As For what comes after, I live in scotland, that sounds nothing like bagpipes, and no, thats not the reason people are looking at you weird.

He's played with a TON of legendary musicians from all over the world. Probably because
he is able to finance a lot of the sessions--which is great for those who he plays with.

He also doubles as a world-class deep sea diver, filmmaker, and Antarctic explorer. But yeah,
his guitar playing and note choices are an acquired taste not many people acquire.

I don't always dig his playing style.... but he is FAR from being a joke on the Internet in the real world.

The POS Yamaha G100 212 II (solid state) I got suckered into trading up from my Peavey Classic combo by some sales guy. Told me I'd be able to get any tone I wanted with its Parametric EQ. I was young and dumb. "And Geddy Lee uses it live when he plays guitar on Xanadu." BFD!

If I was Paul Rivera, I wouldn't have made a video talking about how I helped design that amp either.
Omg I had one but the worst part was the cab , I think it was like a 6 10 it was the size of a fridge

The preamps are similar, in fact in the earliest versions of the Recto, it was basically 1:1 transplant.

But the power section has always been very different.
1000% you could make an early Recto sound like an SLO by swapping 2 components and changing the filtering in the power section and adding back Negetive Feedback

I say early because every revision moved further away from the original Protos and Rev C

Omg I had one but the worst part was the cab , I think it was like a 6 10 it was the size of a fridge
I didn't know they made a head/cab version. Huh.
I got mine around the mid-80's, and I was under the impression it was a fairly new design (or maybe the sales dept just needed them GONE Lol), but I spotted one in Lynyrd Skynyrd's documentary the other day, so apparently it went back as far as the 70's.

Last edited:

I have no idea who that is, or the context behind the video, but I’ve seen that video before.
Is he well regarded as a talented musician? Do i just not “get it.”

Because it hurts my ears and doesn’t sound anything close to musical to me. :idk

I have no idea who that is, or the context behind the video, but I’ve seen that video before.
Is he well regarded as a talented musician? Do i just not “get it.”

Because it hurts my ears and doesn’t sound anything close to musical to me. :idk

See post #52 above.

It may be hard to imagine, but he is one of the most recorded guitarists in history,
and all over the world. He's done a lot both for the Planet, and for musicians around
the Globe. But yeah, not my bag either.

See post #52 above.

It may be hard to imagine, but he is one of the most recorded guitarists in history,
and all over the world. He's done a lot both for the Planet, and for musicians around
the Globe. But yeah, not my bag either.
Wow. Interesting dude. Didn’t see your post when I was replying earlier…thanks.

Wow. Interesting dude. Didn’t see your post when I was replying earlier…thanks.
Hes from a very wealthy family.

As La Szum points out, he financed a lot of sessions and recording so to be fair its correct to say he gave a lot of exposure to artists around the world, appearing on many of the recordings.

I think he was more credible in his other endeavours, YMMV.

Hes from a very wealthy family.

As La Szum points out, he financed a lot of sessions and recording so to be fair its correct to say he gave a lot of exposure to artists around the world, appearing on many of the recordings.

I think he was more credible in his other endeavours, YMMV.

How have I not known he was bank rolling the recordings? I’ve never understood how he got so much session work, never crossed my mind that he was paying for it lol. I couldn’t figure out how he was getting hired with what he does, the story makes a lot more sense when he wasn’t getting paid and instead he was the one paying….

D

Back