AI for album/flyer/band related artwork - Yay or Nay?

Have you looked at the AI thread by @SwirlyMaple here? Some seriously (deranged) and very cool stuff in there.

Have you looked at the AI thread by @SwirlyMaple here? Some seriously (deranged) and very cool stuff in there.

Yeah that thread is dope/frightening :rofl

Try it …

bokeem woodbine GIF

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. We used AI to generate the cover for the last "single" we released. And will probably do it again. We've also paid artists for stuff, and used public domain materials in the past as well. Right now we're just putting out single songs at a time on a semi regular basis. Seems like a reasonable way to continue go in the future. If we were doing a full album or something probably would pay an artist and for merch designs... but I digress.

I can sort of understand the other side of the coin, and a lot of AI stuff can look pretty crappy. Not to cast stones, but it seems to me like hobbyist level graphic designers doing it as a side hustle are the most upset about this sort of thing...

This seems to be a pretty controversial topic that gets people fired up. What do you guys think of this?
Just my useless opinion… I think the debate will become irrelevant (and maybe already has), because no matter what people think of the ethics behind it, many people and businesses will use it because it’s (1) very fast, (2) free, and (3) every image created is without copyright limitations.

It’s inevitable, kind of like how the music distribution world changed when mp3s came along. There is no putting this rabbit back in the hat.

I do think it is very worrying and sad for many creative fields, because this will no doubt impact them. But it’s kind of like trying to save the horse-drawn buggy once the automobile came along.

Just my useless opinion… I think the debate will become irrelevant (and maybe already has), because no matter what people think of the ethics behind it, many people and businesses will use it because it’s (1) very fast, (2) free, and (3) every image created is without copyright limitations.

It’s inevitable, kind of like how the music distribution world changed when mp3s came along. There is no putting this rabbit back in the hat.

I do think it is very worrying and sad for many creative fields, because this will no doubt impact them. But it’s kind of like trying to save the horse-drawn buggy once the automobile came along.
Horses generally live better than ever now. :guiness

excited chinese GIF

I hadn’t even really though about the implications of it in a negative regard and didn’t even know there was a debate.

I mean hell, all the arts get devalued the more time goes on.

As far as a morality of using for album artwork, well, I can’t find any fault in it if the artwork accomplishes your vision for the album, ya know? I mean, I started half-assed learning Photoshop so I could do my own artwork, I think I actually have the subscription to it still. So I can‘t say I feel necessarily bad about not utilizing an artist and paying for it, ya know?

That said, I am paying a friend of mine to come up with a logo for my Volatile Gentleman project.

I suppose I look at the AI stuff like a Kemper/profiler; I’d have to sort through a ton of images to find one that actually does what I’m going for.

Why not go AI? That's all I listen to these days. Screw actual musicians pouring out their heart and soul while hoping to make a few bucks. I'd rather get something for free. :banana

:rollsafe

I suppose I look at the AI stuff like a Kemper/profiler; I’d have to sort through a ton of images to find one that actually does what I’m going for.
Yeah, this is really the key differentiator, for now.

A human artist can create exactly what you ask them for, whereas it’s a bit more loosey-goosey with AI.

But, that is definitely a temporary limitation. The one I’ve been using in the other thread to produce images has only been public for a couple months. The more training it gets, the better it will become. The results even in its infancy are shockingly good at times.

And there are other competing AI engines being developed that are not open-source. Google has one in the works called Parti which, based on the examples they’ve shared, is frighteningly good at interpreting your prompts and creating what you want.

At some point (soon, IMO), the ability of AI to understand your descriptions of what you want an image to be will be just as good as a human artist’s ability to interpret your requests.

This is mitigated even further by fact that you can already send rough hand-drawn doodles into Stable Diffusion (that’s the open-source one) and have it turn your doodle into photorealistic images, or pro-looking artwork.

This will soon be a tool that lets even people with no artistic background produce what they see in their mind’s eye quickly, and for free.

I think you understand my point regardless.

One of the interesting aspects of AI drawing tools is the ability to prototype notional ideas very quickly. Stunning rapid prototyping.

Who's pirating music anymore in 2022? Not that anyone is buying it anymore either.... Between spotify and youtube you can listen to any song in the world

Who's pirating music anymore in 2022? Between spotify and youtube you can listen to any song in the world
That wasn’t the point…

Unless the original poster wasn’t really concerned about revenues being returned to artist for their work?

Do you really think music sales make up the bulk of revenue?

Why not go AI? That's all I listen to these days. Screw actual musicians pouring out their heart and soul while hoping to make a few bucks. I'd rather get something for free. :banana

:rollsafe

I've listened to AI generated music. Its interesting, curious where it will go in the future. At this time, Skynet is better at drawing then writing songs IMO tho
It’s just a matter of time, truly. I’m not saying this because I want it to be that way—it’s an observation of a reality that isn’t going to stop.

Anything that humans can do via repetition and pattern, AI can do. It’s just a matter of training/exposure to enough examples. It’s only going to get more and more difficult to tell it apart.

As formulaic as pop music has become, I’m 100% confident that AI could produce that stuff and we’d never be able to tell.

Maybe with truly skilled, innovative, unique artists, there will still be a human element that we can differentiate from AI. But any music that can be boiled down to mimicry of a patterned genre is going to be easy peasy for AI, soon.

I think the only reason it’s so much better with imagery than music right now is because that’s where the majority of the development efforts have gone. But the clock is tick tick ticking…

Someday we’ll have boutique music stores that advertise “handcrafted, 100% human music!” :idk

Back