A modeler through a IR and "FRFR" speaker cannot sound like the same modeler through a 4x12 cabinet.

A modeler through a "FRFR" speaker cannot sound like the same modeler through a 4x12 cabinet.

• I own a modeler and a 4x12 and I agree.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • I own a modeler and I agree.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • I own a 4x12 and I agree.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not own a modeler or a 4x12 and I agree.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a modeler and 4x12 and invite you over to show it does while we have tea and biscuits.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I thought She-Hulk was dumb, but I still liked it.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
@jay mitchell has shared IRs that he states sound just like his 4x12 from a certain listening position. I've never heard the cab IRL so IDK, but the IRs do sound pretty damn good.

I haven't played through a 4x12 since 2017 😱

Let's twist the plot :stirthepot

What will sound more like a ’77 Dumble Overdrive Special 1x12: your modeller through a 4x12 miked cabinet, or your modeler through a '77 Dumble Overdrive Special 1x12 CAB IR direct to PA/"FRFR"?

Tip: if you are playing through a 4x12 CAB miked with a SM57, you will always sound like a 4x12 CAB miked with a SM57. That is OK if that is all what you want. Not everybody is versatile :idk

1666140702825.png

Of course, the player's experience of receiving the impact of the air pressure moved by a 4x12 cabinet on your pants and your eardrums is undeniable, but that is just a player's experience. It is not what the audience perceives through the PA or through a recording.

Last edited:
I own(ed) a 4x12 and an "FRFR" at the same time and agree.
"FRFR" are great but sound different.

I much prefer playing through my 2x12
So is it different than having 2 12" PA Speaker ("FRFR") ?
Like QSC or Yamaha ?

So is it different than having 2 12" PA Speaker ("FRFR") ?
Like QSC or Yamaha ?

I have a line6 2x12 powercab and yes, is different.
I've used several times the 2x12 powercab as an "FRFR" cab in a full band setting with another guitar player that was using a traditional rig and had no issues, to be honest.

Trying to get modeling with an IR through an FR device, (remember, we don't say ""FRFR"" here), to sound like an amplifier, in a room next to you, is one of the most annoying and futile things one could possibly attempt.
Unless you're successful.

Hmm Most folks dont really like the L6 Powercab for some reason :idk

because the speaker modelling sounds like shit, I guess.
(acutally there are a lot of guys who love the speaker models, there are mixed opinions for sure)

as far as "FRFR" mode goes I don't think the 1x12 and 2x12 models sound the same for obvious reasons and my personal experience with the latter is good enough.

it's not a product I'd buy again though.

Unless you're successful.
Do you ever play with a LOT of gain, Jay? I think a lot of our differences in experiences we have and read about could (in some part) come down to that? Beyond your obvious real world expertise at capturing the cabinet you have in front of you.

Last edited:
Do you ever play with a LOT of gain, Jay?
I have played - and occasionally still do - with similar amounts of gain to what I've heard in your clips. Medium- to high-gain sounds are the only ones I'd use a 4x12 IR with. I wouldn't consider using one for cleaner sounds
I think a lot of our differences in experiences we have and read about could (in some part) come down to that?
I don't think so.
Beyond your obvious real world expertise at capturing the cabinet you have in front of you.
I didn't say it would generally be easy, but the capability is not limited to any particular family of sounds.

With the disclaimer that I've never tried Jay's IR's, I'd say I prefer a modeler into a SS power amp into a 2x12, vertical preferably.

With the disclaimer that I've never tried Jay's IR's, I'd say I prefer a modeler into a SS power amp into a 2x12, vertical preferably.
I like Jay’s IR’s for some amp models and some not so much… like I find with most IR’s honestly. On amps that Jay’s IR’s work for me the midrange is different in a good way more so than other IR I’ve tried. That said on models that they don’t work on they don’t sound just meh….. it’s that they are not good at all. Not sure why that is. It’s either great or bad no in between. Of course this is all very subjective.

Back