A good solid state amp in 1993 was about $450. Would you pay $999 for a great one today?

Would you pay $900-$999 for a really good solid state amp?

• Yes, if it were well made and sounded great, I’d plunk down $999 for one

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Are you f*****g kidding me? Tubes for life!

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I use modelers, bro. Amps are dead.

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was going to comment that those dime amplification heads despite being ugly and cheesy, actually sound really good. You used to see them for under $200 all the time. I just looked and apparently people are selling them for $600 + now :wat

I haven't tried the super crush, but... I have not been impressed by Orange's SS offerings. I think I'm the only one

I was going to comment that those dime amplification heads despite being ugly and cheesy, actually sound really good. You used to see them for under $200 all the time. I just looked and apparently people are selling them for $600 + now :wat

I haven't tried the super crush, but... I have not been impressed by Orange's SS offerings. I think I'm the only one
Well, yes and no. The Super Crush is pretty damn good. The preceding Crush Pro was a warm wet hot bag of ass.

Well, is it not the point of having a Modeller?
any amp you may need/want?, that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
A multitude of effects pedals? that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
A multitude of Cabs and Microphones
the ability to build complex chains and store them and recall them
Stereo effects
no cables and power supplies
a multitude of updates
Basically a studio at your hands all for under $4,000.00 complete with Powered cabs and Recording interface

Yes I am a unabashed model citizen :D
Have you ever owned a decent amp?

My friend (who owns the shop I’m at PT) and I were discussing that YouTube has been awash with “Are T00bz Dead?” clickbait BS, and yet it’s always the same single amp (that does indeed sound great), the Super Crush 100. Okay, so there’s ONE solid state amp in production that sounds awesome. Where are all the others? If tubes are on their deathbed because solid state is SO good (looking at you, Fricker ya douche), where‘s the cavalcade of great-sounding SS amps In production?

There isn’t. Because no one‘s willing to spend what it would cost to build a really good one. $450 today is roughly $950-$999. I just think that even with tube amps climbing in price, people still aren’t willing to spend a grand on a solid state amp. If an amp sounded as good as the old Hughes and Kettner Attax, or Trace Elliott SS stuff, I think it could be really interesting.

Thoughts?

P.s. modeling is a whole other ball of wax, that I can assure you, regardless of how awesome it is, does NOT appeal to everyone.
I don't quite understand the premise? If Orange makes a good sounding as amp for $500, why is it going to cost everyone else $999?

Are people digging those Black star Amp1, 2, etc.? How about those Victory tubepre + ss power pedals? A lot of folks love their quilters.

There were some good solid state amps circa '93 for less than $450. Fender Princeton Chorus comes to mind (though it would be headroom-limited for some genres/gigs); the ubiquitous Bandit wasn't $450. Though I think both of those were pretty well pedal-plstform-only territory...

Axe FX 3 ? lol

Also, in response to the OP:

See modern bass amps
When did the Axe 3 drop below FM9 prices? News to me.
I don't quite understand the premise? If Orange makes a good sounding as amp for $500, why is it going to cost everyone else $999?

Are people digging those Black star Amp1, 2, etc.? How about those Victory tubepre + ss power pedals? A lot of folks love their quilters.

There were some good solid state amps circa '93 for less than $450. Fender Princeton Chorus comes to mind (though it would be headroom-limited for some genres/gigs); the ubiquitous Bandit wasn't $450. Though I think both of those were pretty well pedal-plstform-only territory...
It's under the (admittedly big) assumption that Orange is doing it to a price point, with limitations therein. If it could be expanded to $999 (like a Mesa SS bass amp made in the US, for example), it would be interesting to see what they could come up with.

Yeah I guess Randall still is making amps. MF has most of their stuff in stock.

If I am recalling correctly the RG series in the 1980s was not cheap. Nor were the Roland JC120s. Those were
high-end SS options that rivaled the price of actual tube amps at the time. :idk

Of course there were Crates and Peavey Bandits, but a few companies were pushing the envelope back then
on SS amplifier tech. Galien Kreuger is another great shout.

And I wonder why Bass Amps can still be SS to this day and be highly regarded, while not so much with
Guitar Amps.

If I am recalling correctly the RG series in the 1980s was not cheap. Nor were the Roland JC120s. Those were
high-end SS options that rivaled the price of actual tube amps at the time. :idk

Of course there were Crates and Peavey Bandits, but a few companies were pushing the envelope back then
on SS amplifier tech. Galien Kreuger is another great shout.

And I wonder why Bass Amps can still be SS to this day and be highly regarded, while not so much with
Guitar Amps.
Because bassists generally want things as clean as possible, which is where SS excels.

ive had guys laughing at me walking in with my vh140c asking why i play a Ampeg "bass amp" lol'ing away going on about their sweet tube amp rigs and how my amp wasnt gonna cut it before i even plugged in, the lol'ing quickly turned into a confused constipated look as they realized their sweet rigs just didnt quite have the nuts of mine as they walk around the back looking to see what kind of tubes are in there. it was great fun them offering me the gig and telling them no thanks

Back