A good solid state amp in 1993 was about $450. Would you pay $999 for a great one today?

Would you pay $900-$999 for a really good solid state amp?

• Yes, if it were well made and sounded great, I’d plunk down $999 for one

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Are you f*****g kidding me? Tubes for life!

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I use modelers, bro. Amps are dead.

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, is it not the point of having a Modeller?
any amp you may need/want?, that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
A multitude of effects pedals? that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
A multitude of Cabs and Microphones
the ability to build complex chains and store them and recall them
Stereo effects
no cables and power supplies
a multitude of updates
Basically a studio at your hands all for under $4,000.00 complete with Powered cabs and Recording interface

Yes I am a unabashed model citizen :D

any amp you may need/want?, that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
A multitude of effects pedals? that are nearly indistinguishable form their real live counterparts
Stereo effects
a multitude of updates
Basically a studio at your hands all for under $4,000.00 complete with Powered cabs and Recording interface

200.gif

Sorry @Stone... I was just excited to see the possibility of a thread where we don't talk about modelling for once :D

@paisleywookiee Yeah I've had my eye on that Super Crush 100 on and off since it came out! Sounds pretty decent in videos.

Hahaha yeah my bad, OFC there is more to talk about than those damned modellers :D

The only SS amp that's been on my radar is that newest Quilter. Which is overpriced af as I am (not) buying for features over tone. I'd grab one for 3 bills but not for double that at what they are asking.

The only SS amp that's been on my radar is that newest Quilter. Which is overpriced af as I am (not) buying for features over tone. I'd grab one for 3 bills but not for double that at what they are asking.

The Mach 3? I bought that at the height of my Quilter "thing", when it first came out. It's the best thing they've done, but Wookie is right - it will never do high gain.

Maybe the next one. Nuenaber might be able to help with that.

The influencer click-bait regarding tubes/valves is only in effect if you change them lots.

Anyway, if I like the sound and feel of a package, tube, solid-state, modeler, hybrid etc. the seller sets the price, anyway. So. I'll pay it if I like it, and decide I want it.

Ok if I don't vote? Whatever gets me to the finish line, I'll take it.

Uhmmmm.... news to me. :wat

My point was that if we revisit history we can learn from the past. It can help us determine what the future
might hold, and why something like this doesn't exist.

Pretty sure that is what manufacturers, in their product development phases, do.
No I know. I was asking genuinely; because I thought Randall was more or less dead now.
Stereo effects
a multitude of updates

No, I don’t think it’s the same thing. I’ve got friends who won’t go anywhere near a modeler. They want an amp, with some dials, no built in effects. Just an amp. The Tonemaster stuff I guess is getting closer to that idea.

Well you know I like the BluGuitar stuff, so the answer is yes, even if in this case it's technically a hybrid. Atm the Mercury Edition I have costs 819 euros. I've had mine since 2019 and paid a lot less for it back then but even at the current price feel it's a great amp that is unique enough to warrant that price tag.

Honestly if Thomas Blug had designed the BluGuitar amps to look like regular amp heads they would have probably been better received. When they released people would have been very averse to the idea of a hybrid amp in a pedalboard form factor because that wasn't much of a thing back then.

As for Class D, Blug says that a basic Class D poweramp does not make a good guitar poweramp on its own. It needs more to make it behave more like what people expect from a guitar poweramp. Whatever they do with the Amp 1, it works great because I can't tell it's not a tube amp and it has sounded great with anything I've plugged into it - various modelers, using it as a pedal platform etc.

In case I had any plans of returning to sort of standard amplification (regardless whether it's solid state, tube or hybrid), I'd most defenitely check some solid state offerings out - but very likely I'd only be looking for pedal platforms because that seems to be the thing floating my boat. Hence, some of the Fender Tone Master offerings would be what I might be looking for. I know, they're technically digital/SS hybrids, so there's that.
Anyhow, as said, as I would only use them as a pedal platform anyway, I'm possibly not the target market you're looking for.

I wouldn’t spend that much on a solid state head at this point, not when used 6505’s are dropping back down to sane prices. Unless I had to find a pedal-based option, I’d just track down a Peavey XXL head, or use the one I currently own. It’s the only amp I haven’t gotten rid of. At one point I was seeing them for $125 on Craigslist!

Honestly if Thomas Blug had designed the BluGuitar amps to look like regular amp heads they would have probably been better received. When they released people would have been very averse to the idea of a hybrid amp in a pedalboard form factor because that wasn't much of a thing back then.
Yup. I'd own an Iridium if were a regular head shape. Picture a Mesa Subway D-800 bass head. I've got no interest running my amp on the floor. My buddy sold his Mercury, because it was too noisy.

Back