Shredder
IMG_3457.jpeg

This is is done.
IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3442.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

Need to do something about the new nut it way too clean. Nice guitar though and very similar to a 64 but a whole lot cheaper.

Wow, very nice and in better looking shape then me, and it's a year older.

Frets look :chef bravo!

Do you soak nuts in coffee, or have other tricks you can't divulge?

Nice!

When did CBS start making the bigger changes? Was it ‘68 or ‘67?

It seems like a ‘66 could be in the perfect “Goldilocks” zone of being before the big changes, but cheaper because of being post CBS buyout

Nice!

When did CBS start making the bigger changes? Was it ‘68 or ‘67?

It seems like a ‘66 could be in the perfect “Goldilocks” zone of being before the big changes, but cheaper because of being post CBS buyout
Some way through 67 things started to change.

Got to play a real deal 64 on stage for a few songs once back in the 90s.
Heaviest, shrillest, non-resonant POS ever. Major disappointment.

* should note I was pretty drunk at the time and for some reason was expecting angels to start coming out of the thing with the first chord. :hmm

Seriously though, they were being mass produced even back then so as much as you had plenty of happy accidents,
there were just as many ho hum pieces coming off the lines too.

Last edited:
Got to play a real deal 64 on stage for a few songs once back in the 90s.
Heaviest, shrillest, non-resonant POS ever. Major disappointment.

* should note I was pretty drunk at the time and for some reason was expecting angels to start coming out of the thing with the first chord. :hmm

Seriously though, they were being mass produced even back then so as much as you had plenty of happy accidents,
there were just as many ho hum pieces coming off the lines too.
Some are total dogs. I rarely see any that I want to own and those I would want are more than I would pay. I do find many that sound nice though. I prefer to build replicas with the things I like included.

Looks great! I was wondering how wide should the flat top of the fret should be after crowning? Most guitars come with at least a visible flat section on top of the frets. When I did some fretwork on my guitars I tried to make them as round as the file ( I use a concave file since I don't have the mastery to do the rounding by hand with a flat file ) but in the end there's usually still a line on top of the fret.

Looks great! I was wondering how wide should the flat top of the fret should be after crowning? Most guitars come with at least a visible flat section on top of the frets. When I did some fretwork on my guitars I tried to make them as round as the file ( I use a concave file since I don't have the mastery to do the rounding by hand with a flat file ) but in the end there's usually still a line on top of the fret.
Do the top semi elliptical then you have good intonation and enough material for the future dressing.

This pic reminded me that I need short skirt knobs for my Sunburst Strat. I went to remove that wrong-period logo from it but the guy nitro’d over the top so my current plan is to yank all the frets out and sand all the lacquer off and start fresh. I’ll probably re-radius to 12” while I’m at it.

I’d like to have an overspray relic finish on it when I’m done, but that’s most certainly getting deeper into relic work than I should get into.

Back