Wtf is this? (Nitro neck content)

spawnofthesith

Shredder
So my thin skin tele has always had a bit of a weird nitro sticky neck thing (I think), I thought I remedied this by scotch brite. I don’t usually play the tele with the band but I decided to bring it out tonight. The neck staryed being weird half way thru first set like picking up the weird debris thing. I wiped my shirt on it and this weird ghost cum shit showed up on my shirt? What is this? Should I take sand paper to the neck?

At the other place I did get called a prick, delusional, and the “problem with society” today so maybe the ghost of nitro past is haunting me now

023D14DE-654C-4DDD-BBDE-142DC3443DB7.jpeg

Yikes! There's your Nitro and maybe a little neck sawdust.

I am not a fan of the Scotch Brite method. Far too abrasive for thin Nitro, in my experience.

I blame Gear Forums for spreading the nonsense of using a Pan Scrubber on nice guitar necks. WTF?! The guy
that started that idea needs to be taken out back. :horse

I much prefer something with less abrasiveness and designed for finishing. Something like these, where you can
choose your grit.

Stew Mac sells a similar product.
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 23-38-30 Micro Mesh 9 Sanding Sheet Introductory Woodworkers Kit with...png

You won't get powder of a soft finish that hasn't cured. Nitro never stops drying. Also a "thin skin" is not going to stay soft for long .

I’m curious, what does taking cutting polish to a sticky neck do? The way it buffs out to a glass-like finish from a satin finish causes me to assume it’d remove the sticky factor, or does that only occur once the nitro has cured to a certain state?

I’m curious, what does taking cutting polish to a sticky neck do? The way it buffs out to a glass-like finish from a satin finish causes me to assume it’d remove the sticky factor, or does that only occur once the nitro has cured to a certain state?
It needs to be hard before you can cut it but cutting polish is the same as ultra fine sanding. It removes the top surface so it will change the feel. In many cases the sticky you feel is your hands being slightly damp and gripping a high gloss surface . Niro feeling stick is not down to it being nitro.

Thanks for the input, I'll try a proper grit method

I've had the guitar since 2020. It's always been second fiddle to my LP, but still I'd think that I'd be past any sort of "play in" period at this point

Back