Would you rather…

💯. Maybe it’s just beyond my playing level, but I just can’t appreciate $3000-$4000 for a “Strat”. I think Andersons are awesome, but at the end of the day, I’m not going to play any better on one.

People are going to hate me for this, but I have played quite a few Suhr's in my time, and never freaked out about any of them. Yeah, the quality, fit and finish were there, but nothing about playing them made me say "wow". I have chalked that up to the, " well, they are new, in a store, etc . . . ", but, it is what it is.

People are going to hate me for this, but I have played quite a few Suhr's in my time, and never freaked out about any of them. Yeah, the quality, fit and finish were there, but nothing about playing them made me say "wow". I have chalked that up to the, " well, they are new, in a store, etc . . . ", but, it is what it is.
This is just personal opinion, but I cannot fathom how Suhr is getting what they are for their strat-clone, having played several at CME. Not any nicer than a G&L BTO Legacy, but $1000 more. Er, okay. And with the amount of guitars they pump out each year, they're not what I'd consider boutique. Not like Anderson, who's got actually innovative designs.

I come across people who press way too hard and they are not well served with stainless steel frets. If you over press the frets destroy the soft windings pretty quickly. This happens far less with nickel but the plain strings destroy the frets . I think the best solution is learn to press only as hard as necessary.

That’s a good point and a hard lesson… I switch back-and-forth between a PRS a Strat and you have to change the pressure applied.

Stat rewards digging in - and the PRS prefers finesse.

That’s a good point and a hard lesson… I switch back-and-forth between a PRS a Strat and you have to change the pressure applied.

Stat rewards digging in - and the PRS prefers finesse.
I think you can dig in with the pick and still loosen up the fret hand but it tends to be in the heat of a gig. Anything more than clean fretting adds nothing but damage with the fret hand.

Good point- 100%

It’s been a lifelong issue, not to grip the snot out of stuff
daffy duck masturbation GIF

I’ve literally never played a Suhr that even remotely got my trigger finger itchy. Beautiful yes, but I don’t think it’s possible to have found 6 duds in a row.

To be fair, by dud I mean wholly uninspiring to play. Not that they were actually bad builds.

I’ve literally never played a Suhr that even remotely got my trigger finger itchy. Beautiful yes, but I don’t think it’s possible to have found 6 duds in a row.

To be fair, by dud I mean wholly uninspiring to play. Not that they were actually bad builds.
I agree wholeheartedly, and it's strange, for the amount of love they get.

I don't even shop for new guitars anymore, I want one that has been broken in a bit, or feels that way, and new guitars, generally, just don't.

A local guy hit me up about the Cutlass; proposed a trade for his 2010 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster.

Thoughts?

Yes, I am constantly doing stuff like this to myself haha.

This was the original ad for it when he bought it:

Back