Wiring Lundgrens with an Ibanez 5 way switch

Desertdweller

Roadie
Ok here's what I started with. DiMarzio PAF7s, which are nice pickups, but I wanted something stronger. I did not find much googling this combination of pickup and switch, so I figured I probably should post my process somewhere if someone needs this info in the future. First, you have to admire the beauty of Ibanez' wiring. It's immaculate. Mine will be not as nicely done:

20221118_144725.jpg

A few hours of work over the course of a few weeks and here is where I landed. I'm no wiring guru and I have a lot more to learn for sure, but I'm posting this mainly for anyone else that may try this:
20221213_140002.jpg

Here's my rough diagram of the wiring with the Ibanez 5-way. Forgive any mistakes and handwriting please:

20221213_141659.jpg

This was my wiring assumption going from DiMarzio to Lundgren, which worked correctly for the bridge pickup, but I had to reverse the red and white wires on the neck pickup, so YMMV:
wiring.png

It sounds perfect, all 5 positions work without hum or noise, and the look is perfect:

20221213_144406.jpg

Last edited:
Duuuuuuude I love this guitar so damn much. As soon as I saw the color in the first pic I got giddy. I don't think I've lusted after any other Ibanez this hard that wasn't a JEM or UV and a limited model.

Tight work in there! My buddy has been putting M6's in all his BC Rich's over the last couple of years, I've never had the chance to compare them with anything else when I've played them but those guitars sounded badass through his JJ head. I'm considering a swap in my Solar, I'd definitely give those a shot in it.

How much higher of an output are they in comparison to the PAF7's?

Duuuuuuude I love this guitar so damn much. As soon as I saw the color in the first pic I got giddy. I don't think I've lusted after any other Ibanez this hard that wasn't a JEM or UV and a limited model.

Tight work in there! My buddy has been putting M6's in all his BC Rich's over the last couple of years, I've never had the chance to compare them with anything else when I've played them but those guitars sounded badass through his JJ head. I'm considering a swap in my Solar, I'd definitely give those a shot in it.

How much higher of an output are they in comparison to the PAF7's?
I have to admit it's a pretty cool guitar. Really heavy, weight-wise, which I appreciate in the design. The PAFs are good pickups, but the Lundgrens feel like they are hitting quite a bit harder. Hard to explain, but the PAFs sounded a little scooped, while these sounded bigger, more mids, etc.

I had the M7 bridge installed with the PAF neck for a few weeks and you could tell a noticeable drop in output between the M7 bridge and the PAF neck, but there's a lot of variables there too I'm not accounting for.

I'm only here to say the Lundgren M model is my all time fav for metal.
I've had a few weeks with them now and I have to say I'm beginning to agree. I have a BKP, a few Fluences, and a bunch of DiMarzios, and the M7 is maybe the best bridge pickup I have. Could be the guitar a bit too as it's a heavy piece of mahogany, but yeah the pickup sounds amazing.

I've had a few weeks with them now and I have to say I'm beginning to agree. I have a BKP, a few Fluences, and a bunch of DiMarzios, and the M7 is maybe the best bridge pickup I have. Could be the guitar a bit too as it's a heavy piece of mahogany, but yeah the pickup sounds amazing.
For heavies there is no better. Congrats on the tone experience haha

I have a M6 in a mahogany guitar. Had to take the tone pot out. Also have the Meshuggah sig 8 string. The 8 version has much less gain. I believe on purpose. The 7 is more like the 6.

You could always take the opportunity to swap out that horrible alpha switch for a CRL one.

Whats your thoughts on the Lundgrens, I’m looking at a 7 string with them loaded.

Back