Wiring harnesses - worth it?

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
Things like this:

This one looks cooler to me because it is solderless:

But .... are these things worth it?

Depends on how much you value your time I suppose. These are maybe like 20-40 euros for pots (when did they get so expensive?!) and the caps cost little.

I don't see the point in anything but that solderless option because it actually simplifies installing pickups vs the others still require a good amount of soldering so you might as well solder the rest of the wires.

I've never been able to bring myself to pay for one. Usually the components are anywhere from $25-50 and harnesses are 2-3 times that price.

A couple times I have tried solderless harnesses but they have their own issues. One that I got didn't work properly and I had to resolder a bunch of connections. It works now but if one of the pots fails then the whole thing is kind of worthless. Really disappointing for having spent over $100.

I've got an engineer brain though so laying out the components and planning everything is part of the fun.

They're only worth it if you don't have the tools to do it yourself. I do all this kind of stuff myself because I like wiring things a certain way.
Although I have bought a prewired strat pickguard from Mojotone and their wiring was immaculate.

Fuck that Obsidian stuff. I got one of their Strat harnesses and it was an absolute nightmare getting the wires in the ports. I think that was the first and last time I’ve been straight pissed at working on a guitar since high school. And then it didn’t work right once I had it in. Most certainly from a wire not being seated properly. I didn’t bother trying to fix it, I just ripped it off.

I have this guy’s kits in a few guitars now- https://madhatterguitarproducts.com...-dual-volume-kits/products/terminator-dvdt-3t
image_b8c4625a-6391-46ec-9495-782eafde9a03.jpg

I need to order one of those for my Edwards because once I yank the EMG’s out, I’m not dealing with any soldering bullshit. I hate soldering pickups with a passion. The first guitar I put a kit in was my JEM, it was 15 minutes from start to finish, pulling the guard off to putting it back on. And swapping pickups now is a breeze.

You can hit the guy up and ask for any combinations. I see he added push/push knobs on there now, but I used to just ask him if I could do push/push and he’d do it no problem.

I bought a 50's style wiring kit from Toneman.com and it was great for my Epi ES-335. Big upgrade for around $80 US. By the time I spent $30-$40 on just the parts, it was just worth it to me on that guitar since everything was installed through the f hole and I did not want to have either too much or too little wiring.

Back