Why Celestion speakers are so inconsistent?

James Freeman

Rock Star
The Vintage 30 and Greenback for example, these speakers sound different almost every year of release, why can't Celestion stick to one formula?
People are hunting for 2001 made Vintage 30 because the 2008 and later suck, etc.
Greenbacks are even bigger random shitshow.

For example exactly the same MESA 4x12 cabs from 2001 and 2008 sound completely different:

This interview with Nolly, he has 80+ Vintage 30 speakers from various years, all sound different. :wat

Last edited:
The Vintage 30 and Greenback for example, these speakers sound different almost every year of release, why can't Celestion stick to one formula?
People are hunting for 2001 made Vintage 30 because the 2008 and later suck, etc.
Greenbacks are even bigger random shitshow.

For example exactly the same MESA 4x12 cabs from 2001 and 2008 sound completely different:

Johann Segeborn's youtube channel has a lot of comparisons like this too. Indeed, Celestion speakers even of the same type sound very different over the years. Modern Greenbacks vs. vintage Greenbacks may as well be different speakers altogether.

For example:

Yeah, I've watched a ton of Johann videos, he has a very nice collection of vintage Celestion speakers.

The thing I don't understand is why modern production speakers that made with new machinery are so inconsistent.

Also, when you use a speaker for 10-20-30 years, they sound different. Anything with moving parts is going to be less consistent over time, since friction is a thing.

Apparently there is a stealth revision of the Chinese Vintage 30 from 2022 on.
So now we have 17 years (2004-2021) where the Vintage 30 sucked ass and from 2022 it's back to the much better pre-2004 voicing... all with the same catalogue number.
WTF Celestion?

So now we have 17 years (2004-2021) where the Vintage 30 sucked ass and from 2022 it's back to the much better pre-2004 voicing... all with the same catalogue number.
WTF Celestion?

Please post a Stevie T video as a follow up to this post so the circle of hell can be complete.

I'm not sure why Celestion chose Glenn to spread the word about the revised Vintage 30 either, still, going back to the '99-'03 sound is a big deal and I expect more videos by less annoying youtubers to pop up soon.

Please post a Stevie T video as a follow up to this post so the circle of hell can be complete.
images.jpeg

So I have his channel hidden and any recommendation of this turd disabled on anything I am signed in on with any of my Google accounts. Couple of shared devices in our house stay 'public' on as my kids don't want to watch documentaries on how a Morbid Angel album was made:rofl

Was scrolling through the unsigned in feed on one of these devices last night and one of his EVH Iconic videos was recommended. I decide "hey; let's give it a watch and see how long I make it"

:oops::wat:cuss

The whole point of the video, apparently; is how he fooled James Brown in a blind test. James wrote out a detailed reply to the pre-reveal video that started this series. Super thoughtful and chock full of knowledge because, you know; he designed the amp and isn't some idiotic blowhard who can barely play his way out of a piss filled paper bag?

Glenn did that thing where he reads the post in chipmunk and speeds it up because god forbid someone with a real point get a word in edge wise. He low key chastises him for post length, then goes on to say he guessed wrong in the clip order then goes on to say he doesn't like the noise gate. After James explained that the design decision was based on what Edward Van Halen wanted. Yes Glenn; I am going to defer to you over EDWARD FUCKING VAN HALEN when it comes to anything guitar related. Jesus christ what a steaming pile of dung.

Last edited:
WTF Celestion?

Sigh. We didn't know so much about the chinese thing when we bought our V30 and it took a while for myself and @hemmelight to finally give up with it and we decided "guess we just hate V30s then; why do so many people love them?". We couldn't sell it fast enough in the end. It was only later that I discovered that not all Celestion speakers are made the same way.

It's really damn frustrating that they can't be consistant. A company that size and with that level of expertise. And I've owned quite a few Celestions since. I'm enjoying a WGS G12C/S more these days. @hemmelight is still loving the Celestion Creamback Neo for the Marshall / British sound.

Last edited:
Same. I have had plenty of UK V30's and plenty of Chinese ones. Love em all.

Hmm... something more for me to think about, then. Based on both yours and @TubeStack's comments, I guess I must just not like 'em. Shame, I'd got some hope that I'd love a UK V30 eventually. Ach well . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Hmm... something more me to think about, then. Based on both yours and @TubeStack's comments, I guess I must just not like 'em. Shame, I'd got some hope that I'd love a UK V30 eventually. Ach well . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure if I sat down and compared them with intense listening I could come up with differences. I dont go that deep with my tone though. I will tweak my rig some, plug into a cab and if I like it or love it then the speakers stay. If I don't then I change them out. I really dig how good all my V30's cut through and sound no matter what I put them in. Thats how I know the V30 is my favorite catchall speaker.

Yes, I wasn't meaning there aren't differences among the various V30s, just that I really like their sound even with those varying differences. The general sound signature just works for me, especially in a loud rock band setting.

So I have his channel hidden and any recommendation of this turd disabled on anything I am signed in on with any of my Google accounts. Couple of shared devices in our house stay 'public' on as my kids don't want to watch documentaries on how a Morbid Angel album was made:rofl

Was scrolling through the unsigned in feed on one of these devices last night and one of his EVH Iconic videos was recommended. I decide "hey; let's give it a watch and see how long I make it"

:oops::wat:cuss

The whole point of the video, apparently; is how he fooled James Brown in a blind test. James wrote out a detailed reply to the pre-reveal video that started this series. Super thoughtful and chock full of knowledge because, you know; he designed the amp and isn't some idiotic blowhard who can barely play his way out of a piss filled paper bag?

Glenn did that thing where he reads the post in chipmunk and speeds it up because god forbid someone with a real point get a word in edge wise. He low key chastises him for post length, then goes on to say he guessed wrong in the clip order then goes on to say he doesn't like the noise gate. After James explained that the design decision was based on what Edward Van Halen wanted. Yes Glenn; I am going to defer to you over EDWARD f*****g VAN HALEN when it comes to anything guitar related. Jesus christ what a steaming pile of dung.

Yeah it’s important to know who to block on your YT recommendations. This douche nozzle is high on the priority list.

Back