Why Celestion speakers are so inconsistent?

I have 2 16ohm V30s from 1999 in my Bogner 212CB. They sound amazing! The Chinese ones that I took out of that cab were awful sounding, no question.

I found a couple more from 2000 that I got for a reasonable price.
The guy shipped me them in a box that looked like this:
new.jpg

He claims he "zip-tied" the two speakers facing each other and does this all the time and couldn't understand how this happened? Doofus!
Well, the speakers showed up and looked great! This was the one that looked the nicer of the 2!
IMG_0834.jpg

Reverb refunded and returned, no issue.
Sadly, no one will hear these beauties again.

I don't know anything on the consistency because I don't buy a lot of thier speakers but I bought a new Bogner 4x12 with new green backs in it and I didn't care for those. Maybe after they broke in?? I put in some Scumback black back copies and now it's so very nice.

I have 2 16ohm V30s from 1999 in my Bogner 212CB. They sound amazing! The Chinese ones that I took out of that cab were awful sounding, no question.

I found a couple more from 2000 that I got for a reasonable price.
The guy shipped me them in a box that looked like this:
View attachment 1870

He claims he "zip-tied" the two speakers facing each other and does this all the time and couldn't understand how this happened? Doofus!
Well, the speakers showed up and looked great! This was the one that looked the nicer of the 2!
View attachment 1871
Reverb refunded and returned, no issue.
Sadly, no one will hear these beauties again.
OMG what in the world? Some people…

He claims he "zip-tied" the two speakers facing each other and does this all the time and couldn't understand how this happened?
Wow! Honestly, I would think zip-tying them to each other would be a good idea, assuming you use strong, wide zip ties, and not the real tiny ones. Those big ones are really strong. Weird.

I've never had a brand new cab that immediately sounded awesome.

My two favourite cabs ever were bought used and were heavily played/gigged before I got them. Marshall 1960BX and Mesa Trad 4x12.

There is a naturalness/fullness/openness to really worn-in speakers, I’ve found.

Last edited:
Wow! Honestly, I would think zip-tying them to each other would be a good idea, assuming you use strong, wide zip ties, and not the real tiny ones. Those big ones are really strong. Weird.

Yes! However, he used the tiny ones! Lol! They must have broke during the first UPS package drop!

Back