Who's owned/compared Coaxial vs Woofer/tweeter 2 way speakers and play loud band volume

ericbr1

Groupie
How do they compare? I don't think I've ever heard or used a coaxial monitor or pa speaker. I'm only interested in how they compared to you at loud volumes, (i.e. rock band with a normal to loud stage volume or if you play that volume at home) THANKS

If found them to be dull and no top end, had 2 lots of 2x12 co-axial monitor speakers (like an ordinary 12" driver but with a center cone extension like a mushroom).
I ended up cutting in and adding a 12"x3" horn drivers into the cabinets, and that made a BIG difference.

How do they compare?
That's too generic a question; there's no single answer.

FYI, a coaxial speaker is a "woofer/tweeter 2 way speaker." The only difference is where the tweeter/HF horn is placed. Also FYI, there are poorly-executed coaxial speakers and well-done displaced-transducer types. OTOH, a well-executed coaxial design will always produce better sound quality (IOW, it will sound better) at any volume over a much greater number of listening positions.

That's too generic a question; there's no single answer.

FYI, a coaxial speaker is a "woofer/tweeter 2 way speaker." The only difference is where the tweeter/HF horn is placed. Also FYI, there are poorly-executed coaxial speakers and well-done displaced-transducer types. OTOH, a well-executed coaxial design will always produce better sound quality (IOW, it will sound better) at any volume over a much greater number of listening positions.
Yes, I know after I posted it it's way too generic. It's pretty much a question a teenager would ask! (and I'm 63 , played in bands and studios and live sound since my late teens, and have a house that looks like a gear museum) . . .However, you 'kind of' answered my generic question, and your answer agreed with what I was thinking. I understand the more consistent displacement of the sound (and quality thereso of it) , but say I'm 5 feet or 20 feet directly in FRONT of what you'd consider 'very similar quality' coaxials and the 'other kind of 2 way' speaker, how would you describe the different sound quality? Maybe that's impossible to describe, but I think you can . Thank you, Eric

If found them to be dull and no top end, had 2 lots of 2x12 co-axial monitor speakers (like an ordinary 12" driver but with a center cone extension like a mushroom).
I ended up cutting in and adding a 12"x3" horn drivers into the cabinets, and that made a BIG difference.

Which co-axials were you using in that scenario before you modded them? Also what was going into them? THANKS, Eric

Co-Axial = Zero Point Source
If done right they should be more accurate than any offset driver monitor.

Is the F12 the Celestion full range speaker? Thanks JT
Yep. It's a solid solution. Like anything else as a monitoring solution; you are at the mercy of physics as far as the cab enclosure and the quality of IRs you are using (as well your own mental ability to ignore both knowing full well that the IRs you are probably using were shot from a cab with completely different dimensions than the one you are running it through) :bag

I wonder if those of us who buy and try all these things trying to get a good 'cabinet in the room' sound *and* no longer play at above studio/bedroom dB's have clouded the opinions of others when we post how bad something sounds.
My thought stems from not understanding the science behind the designs but my instincts tell me that the high frequency drivers at their optimal performance dB level vs that of the low frequency drivers might not cover the same range. Its possible there is some low level uses that create a mismatch of the two components? So maybe what works at lower volumes falls apart at stage levels and vice versa.
that and the fact that some of us aren't standing/moving about relative to the placement of the cab like we were when we played in a band.

Someone turn on the bat light.... @jay mitchell

Last edited:
Which co-axials were you using in that scenario before you modded them? Also what was going into them? THANKS, Eric

They were these from the 90's
had 4 of them, 2 in each vocal (large) monitor, just not crisp enough for a loud rock band,
and if you tried to compensate with more top end EQ, you just got more feedback.
Luckily the singers car got stolen with them in it, so with insurance payout, we brought some JBL's.

speaker.png

Celestion K12-100TC

They were these from the 90's
had 4 of them, 2 in each vocal (large) monitor, just not crisp enough for a loud rock band,
and if you tried to compensate with more top end EQ, you just got more feedback.
Luckily the singers car got stolen with them in it, so with insurance payout, we brought some JBL's.

View attachment 17324
Celestion K12-100TC

That looks like a whizzer cone, different than a true coaxial driver.

Quite likely, they were sold as "coaxial cone" drivers way back,
Woofers with whizzer cones have never correctly been characterized as coaxial speakers.
but the meaning today is more centered around dual L.F + H.F driver all in one.
FYI, that has been the meaning since Altec introduced the 601 in 1943. It's not by any means a recent redefinition of the term.

Last edited:
The product that made the phrase coaxial famous in the 70s. (y)

1705368384236.png

Literally millions of these things got installed in rear decks as an upgrade.
Funny, a couple years later they came out with the triaxial - but there was nothing axial about it!

1705368717721.png

Back