Who Still Visits Guitar Stores?

I have a mom and pop shop up the road that I still like to frequent every couple months. They have a staggering selection of Fender guitars, and are a Mesa and Strymon dealer so they are alright by me. I also like to go there if one employee in particular is there who oddly still operates under Covid rules where you had to wash your hands before playing a guitar. (Nobody else there gave a shit but him during the pandemic, and he apparently never got the memo since) So when I see him there I make sure to give him a good proper nod before I play the game of IM GOING TO TOUCH AT LEAST TEN GUITARS RAPID FIRE BEFORE YOU CAN GET TO ME.

Kate Mckinnon Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

Off for a few days starting tomorrow. Decided we might road trip over to a store I check out every few years in a nearby-ish small town. Look on their website last night to see what they have and they are now apparently Fender Custom Shop dealers? Bunch of $5k strats in a town with no income opportunity? Seems, um; a little odd to me. They have a bunch of PRS and a few Ernie Ball guitars as well :guinessHaven't decided if I am going to go punish myself or not just yet :nails:ROFLMAO:

I bought my first PRS there in Oct 2019 and was treated totally differently. So there's that. Forgot the sales guys name but haven't seen him there for years. Also met the owner then, and he was nice and friendly - but seem to miss him ever since.
I imagine the Rhett Shull connection has been a double edged sword for them -- on the one hand, lots of exposure. On the other hand, I imagine lots of people that come in wanting to effectively compare a Fender Custom Shop strat to an American Professional strat in their own private amp room, blasting, to then step out, ears ringing, and ask "GOT ANY SQUIRE CLASSIC VIBES?!?"

Not saying the way they are dealing with it is fine -- there's gotta be a better way -- but maybe that explains the shift? Dunno.

Yes, When I can i shoot up to Manchester Music Mill. Manchester NH. Not really a Mom and Pop because it's a big store. Full of cool stuff. I would say 65 to 70% of the stuff is used and they do most business on reverb and online. Staff is nice and pretty Knowledgable too. I am constantly scanning the website just to see what is there. Whats listed on the site isnt even half of whats actually in the store though.

I'm about an hour away from any decent guitar stores. Unless I know for sure they have something I want, there's not much point in making the trek.

Went to my spot today. Fender Custom Shop dealer now. PRS Dealer. EB dealer. Also Friedman, Boogie, Dr. Z and Soldano. Needless to say my cheap ass bought NOTHING. I didn't even grab anything off the wall. Which all the expensive shit was at arm's reach yet the 500-1k used section was hanging 8+ft in the air? WTF :wat

Saw a PSA post on the Hamer for sale forum that a Hamer Talledega was in stock at the Manchester GC 15 minutes from my home. I would have zipped over there to check it out, but I was making tacos which had a much higher priority to me. Every six months I wander in there to check things out with Mrs stonge usually just to laugh at their 'optimistic' pricing and inventory. If I want to see a good shop with a quality selection I drive to Brian's Guitars, but they will likely have something I want but can't afford lol. Other than that I stay out of shops for the most part. I don't NEED anything, but there's always the temptation of "that looks like fun" getting the better of me.

Off for a few days starting tomorrow. Decided we might road trip over to a store I check out every few years in a nearby-ish small town. Look on their website last night to see what they have and they are now apparently Fender Custom Shop dealers? Bunch of $5k strats in a town with no income opportunity? Seems, um; a little odd to me. They have a bunch of PRS and a few Ernie Ball guitars as well :guinessHaven't decided if I am going to go punish myself or not just yet :nails:ROFLMAO:
DOO IT!!

GO!!!

Back